U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 AM
 
7,280 posts, read 13,552,577 times
Reputation: 3627

Advertisements

I don't think that's realistic. The city should shut down existing businesses in an area in flux? The city has thus far focused on making shared spaces (streets, public buildings, etc.) more inviting. There's a limit to how much a city can or should intervene in private business, isn't there?

People might never go back to the mall area. Malls are mostly dying, nationwide. Why should the city prop up that industry? A vibrant downtown is a higher priority, in my opinion.

But if you feel differently, a better way to proceed might be to reach out to your city council member directly. City of Greensboro, NC : City Council
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM
 
239 posts, read 214,619 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You said (in post #7 above): "Maybe invest some of the millions that's going downtown to the coliseum area..."

What creative solutions do YOU have to the issues you raised?
I said in post 7 coliseum and four seasons area. The old run down strip clubs and porn stores and Roach motels really are not bringing any money in anyway so sell the land and buildings off to investors for a great price maybe even give them and other businesses incentives to start investing in that area. Something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM
 
239 posts, read 214,619 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I don't think that's realistic. The city should shut down existing businesses in an area in flux? The city has thus far focused on making shared spaces (streets, public buildings, etc.) more inviting. There's a limit to how much a city can or should intervene in private business, isn't there?

People might never go back to the mall area. Malls are mostly dying, nationwide. Why should the city prop up that industry? A vibrant downtown is a higher priority, in my opinion.

But if you feel differently, a better way to proceed might be to reach out to your city council member directly. City of Greensboro, NC : City Council
So let the whole mall area go down and what would that do to the koury convention center that can't be good for there business. All malls are not dead but that mall is dying so maybe renovate it into more of a entertainment hub/mall put more restaurants more arcades more bars make it a epic center type space/mall. Just like south point is not just a mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,491,889 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I said in post 7 coliseum and four seasons area. The old run down strip clubs and porn stores and Roach motels really are not bringing any money in anyway so sell the land and buildings off to investors for a great price maybe even give them and other businesses incentives to start investing in that area. Something like that
The city can't just take private property and sell it off. Thats illegal. The solutions are not nearly as simple as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,607 posts, read 4,435,991 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post


The city can't just take private property and sell it off. Thats illegal. The solutions are not nearly as simple as you think.
State and city government can take property for public projects. Its called eminent domain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,491,889 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
State and city government can take property for public projects. Its called eminent domain.
Totally different concept than whats being discussed here. No one is talking about public use. Try to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 AM
 
7,280 posts, read 13,552,577 times
Reputation: 3627
Eminent domain is a tricky enough proposition when we're talking about highway construction. Should the city spend millions to buy up active, revenue-generating businesses (to replace them with some undetermined other business, I guess?) so an area that has seen better days (but is far from crumbling) can look a little more attractive?

And for the record, I don't understand this constant reference to strip clubs and porn stores. There are a couple of strip clubs, but they aren't the most rundown businesses along Gate City. Maybe zoning changes could run them out, but there's no guarantee you'd prefer whatever moves in. I mean, who wants to occupy a former strip club?

Besides, I find it hard to understand how this conversation is even happening at this particular moment when the stretch from downtown to Koury looks better than it has in years. Between the streetscaping, some new businesses and decent looking strip-malls being built, and the massive process UNCG has made on their stretch of Gate City, I think things are really coming along. I'm as left-leaning as the next guy, but the idea that the city should start grabbing up slightly seedy properties just because we don't like the way they keep up their lots is nuts.

That's not how any of this works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,491,889 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Eminent domain is a tricky enough proposition when we're talking about highway construction. Should the city spend millions to buy up active, revenue-generating businesses (to replace them with some undetermined other business, I guess?) so an area that has seen better days (but is far from crumbling) can look a little more attractive?

And for the record, I don't understand this constant reference to strip clubs and porn stores. There are a couple of strip clubs, but they aren't the most rundown businesses along Gate City. Maybe zoning changes could run them out, but there's no guarantee you'd prefer whatever moves in. I mean, who wants to occupy a former strip club?

Besides, I find it hard to understand how this conversation is even happening at this particular moment when the stretch from downtown to Koury looks better than it has in years. Between the streetscaping, some new businesses and decent looking strip-malls being built, and the massive process UNCG has made on their stretch of Gate City, I think things are really coming along. I'm as left-leaning as the next guy, but the idea that the city should start grabbing up slightly seedy properties just because we don't like the way they keep up their lots is nuts.

That's not how any of this works.
No it isn't how any of this works. Eminent domain does not allow government to forcibly take private property and sell it to a private owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,607 posts, read 4,435,991 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Totally different concept than whats being discussed here. No one is talking about public use. Try to keep up.
Maybe the city can take over some of those properties for city use to help spruce up the corridor a little more. Thats what im talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,491,889 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Maybe the city can take over some of those properties for city use to help spruce up the corridor a little more. Thats what im talking about.
I wasn't talking about that. And you responded to my post. In a snarky, smart ***** way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top