U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM

4,604 posts, read 4,428,683 times

Advertisements

a company could be eyeing at least one of the mega sites in NC for 8,600 jobs at a multi billion dollar manufacturing facility which would include the one near Greensboro at the Guilford Randolph county line. The Greensboro megasite has one thing going for it. Its proximity to I-85, I-40 and I-73 not to mention the FedEx hub. The other mega sites in the state are a little more isolated away from population centers. I say the Greensboro/Randolph mega site has the edge. This would be huge for the Greensboro area and the Triad and such a manufacturing facility could lead to more suppliers coming to the area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/new...conn-jobs.html

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-23-2017 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 PM

239 posts, read 214,329 times
I'm another article it didn't even mention nc in the list of narrowed down states it was choosing from.
I hate getting hopes up then like always they don't pick nc and if they do they pick raliegh.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:18 PM

NC is going to have to step up its incentive game if it wants to get this project. Of all the mega sites being considered for this project, only one is really close to a major population center and thats the one near Greensboro. A facility with almost 9,000 workers needs to be close to where its workers live. The other mega sites are more in the boonies with very few people living nearby. The Greensboro area's ace in the hole is the FedEx hub and its interstate network. All indications is that it may be Foxconn. Its customers include...

Acer Inc.
Amazon.
Apple Inc.
BlackBerry Ltd.
Cisco
Dell
Google
Hewlett-Packard
Huawei
InFocus
Intel
Microsoft
Motorola Mobility
Nintendo
Nokia
Sony
Toshiba
Vizio
Xiaomi

Greensboro already has a Lenovo computer manufacturing facility as well as the Qorvo headquarters and several manufacturing facilities. So the Greensboro area would fit the profile the company is looking for. However before we can start talking about Greensboro, the company is looking at four other states.

Reports say the facilty would likely manufacture displays for iphones and ipads.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-23-2017 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 2,824 times
Default Foxconn factory

Group pursuing large Foxconn factory wants to tap City of Racine for water, sewer

Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,344,025 times
$10B Foxconn plant could bring thousands of jobs to Texas

Texas is one of seven states under consideration for a more than $10 billion manufacturing facility for major Apple Inc. supplier Foxconn Technology Group, the CEO of Taiwanese company said last week after the company's annual meeting.

Founder and CEO Terry Gou listed Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio in June 22 remarks to reporters in Taipei, according to several media reports.

I don't see North Carolina in that list, but you never know.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Im reading reports that North Carolina may be out of the running and they are focusing on the midwest but thats not confirmed.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im reading reports that North Carolina may be out of the running and they are focusing on the midwest but thats not confirmed.
It reminds me a lot of the Gigafactory competition from a couple of years ago, where multiple states were trying to one up each other and throw billions in tax breaks and incentives at Tesla and Elon Musk to build the factory in their state with Nevada winning out.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It reminds me a lot of the Gigafactory competition from a couple of years ago, where multiple states were trying to one up each other and throw billions in tax breaks and incentives at Tesla and Elon Musk to build the factory in their state with Nevada winning out.
These incentive wars have been going on for decades, some states get out of control. I remember the insanity Benz brought when the company was seeking to build the plant that AL eventually won. Then there's the failure of Dell. After much hype Dell didn't live up to the expectation.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
These incentive wars have been going on for decades, some states get out of control.
Oh I know, the Gigafactory wasn't the first by far. Just look at all the car manufacturing plants in the south and what states did to get them. It goes all the way back to when manufacturing started, then you had the congressmen "greasing the palms" back in the day, before states/counties/cities were more blatant and open with their incentives and tax breaks luring companies like they do now.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:56 AM

Another thing I have noticed is that these companies seem to build their manufacturing operations in smaller metro areas or slightly rural areas. You are not seeing car manufacturing plants being built near cities like Atlanta or Charlotte .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or