U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 PM

424 posts, read 296,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps our interpretations are different?? I find the non-coastal areas of Piedmont NC and Central VA quite similar.
To be honest, when I started some quick research on this, I thought it would agree with you. But actually Mutiny is 100% correct here. Not a single source I came across put NC in the Mid-Atlantic. Some sources didn't even put Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic. According to Wikipedia, Virginia counts, but North Carolina does not. Every source I read has NC as Southeast.

And while I never put much thought into it, this area doesn't really share a lot of similarities to even Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:33 AM

240 posts, read 227,529 times
I think you'll enjoy Greensboro. The large public university makes it feel very inclusive. There are lots of arts and outdoor activities to take part in. There are various communities that have created a good mix of international grocery stores and restaurants. From what I've seen on the outside looking in, the gay community appears open and vibrant. One of my work buddies is openly gay and has a super active social life with a diverse mix of friends. Also, a former work buddy and his hubby bought a home in a great neighborhood and are happily raising their two kids.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 PM

836 posts, read 1,029,594 times
Quote:
Absolutely, I agree! I find that area of the country (the Mid-Atlantic region) most appealing for whatever reason, I guess due to the topography and the milder four season climate. I had been conflicted when choosing either Greensboro or Winston Salem as I found it appealing too, but feel Greensboro seems a bit more vibrant in/around it's downtown area which I attribute to UNCG as well as other venues like the ballpark. I do like WS's bohemian vibe that I wish was a little more present in Greensboro. I should mention I lived many years in the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro area which I enjoyed greatly, but worry I would feel out of place not part of the academic world that was a big part of my life while living there.
i thought i was the only one who felt this way, i won't turn this into a gso vs w-s thing, because i love both and have lived in both, however i do agree greensboro is more vibrant and has the aura of a big city outside of it's downtown, from north greensboro to east, it has a more "forward" feel to it, like a progressive feel, even going so far to say it has a triangle feel to it, especially north greensboro...that area feels like durham and raliegh, i noticed people speak boldly here and have little to no southern draw, theres no doubt greensboros character has been effected overtime by it's abundance of international universitys, it's extremely diverse for a city it's size, i'm always running into countless foreigners, have had my few shares of culture shocks aswell, and some authentic experiences that i just did not come across in winston salem, in winston, it's more of a small southern town feel when you are outside of downtown, some areas more so than others, it just lacks that urban grit and progressive feel, locals are older in age, quick to tell you about the tabaco industry, i don't see many young adults outside of the downtown area like i do in greensboro, it's more middle aged people with kids, however downtown is an entirely different animal, i'd liken it to a seattle of the south, or portland O.R. very progressive tech feel and overal liberal progressive aura, it actually feels like downtown is not apart of winston-salem. But that was my opinion, take it how you will. I won't go indepth on greensboros downtown because it's been discussed to death.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:07 AM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Regional details aside, I think Greensboro (or Winston) might fit you nicely. Both have quite a bit of higher ed influence. Granted, Wake Forest's campus is farther removed from downtown Winston than UNCG's is from downtown GSO, but WFU is increasingly putting down roots downtown. Plus there are lots of other colleges and universities in both, which is always nice.

Have you spent time in either recently? I see you've asked a similar question on the Columbia, SC forum. I've lived in both and would be happy to share more details.
I did go through downtown and surrounding neighborhoods in Winston Salem a few years ago, but haven't really been through downtown Greensboro other than on I-40 the same time and was last "in town" around 20 years ago. The same goes for Columbia which I have skirted on trips but never spent any time in. I do like a bit of what I call a "progressive granola vibe" which is somewhat evident in Winston Salem neighborhoods like Ardmore and the West End, but seems less attributable to Greensboro from what I have heard and seems it's quite a bit less like that..if at all. I also get some of the same sense about Columbia's downtown neighborhoods that I get from Winston Salem in my research, though perhaps not as prevalent..??

Old 07-02-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I think you'll enjoy Greensboro. The large public university makes it feel very inclusive. There are lots of arts and outdoor activities to take part in. There are various communities that have created a good mix of international grocery stores and restaurants. From what I've seen on the outside looking in, the gay community appears open and vibrant. One of my work buddies is openly gay and has a super active social life with a diverse mix of friends. Also, a former work buddy and his hubby bought a home in a great neighborhood and are happily raising their two kids.
Thanks for the insight, the presence of UNCG is what has kept Greensboro on the table for me as I like the feel a large university provides. I'm also encouraged by the promise of diversity as I live someplace now that while diverse, the majority of white caucasians don't see the value in other "weird foods"...which kills me as a foodie.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
i thought i was the only one who felt this way, i won't turn this into a gso vs w-s thing, because i love both and have lived in both, however i do agree greensboro is more vibrant and has the aura of a big city outside of it's downtown, from north greensboro to east, it has a more "forward" feel to it, like a progressive feel, even going so far to say it has a triangle feel to it, especially north greensboro...that area feels like durham and raliegh, i noticed people speak boldly here and have little to no southern draw, theres no doubt greensboros character has been effected overtime by it's abundance of international universitys, it's extremely diverse for a city it's size, i'm always running into countless foreigners, have had my few shares of culture shocks aswell, and some authentic experiences that i just did not come across in winston salem, in winston, it's more of a small southern town feel when you are outside of downtown, some areas more so than others, it just lacks that urban grit and progressive feel, locals are older in age, quick to tell you about the tabaco industry, i don't see many young adults outside of the downtown area like i do in greensboro, it's more middle aged people with kids, however downtown is an entirely different animal, i'd liken it to a seattle of the south, or portland O.R. very progressive tech feel and overal liberal progressive aura, it actually feels like downtown is not apart of winston-salem. But that was my opinion, take it how you will. I won't go indepth on greensboros downtown because it's been discussed to death.
Thanks for your information, it is quite useful! I was wondering if Greensboro's similarity to Durham or Chapel Hill for instance extends to the academic influence. While I do want that well-educated community I don't enjoy the sometimes cliquishness that evolves and is why even though I loved living in Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro previously, fear since that's no longer a part of my life I wouldn't fit in again.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:39 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,702,296 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight, the presence of UNCG is what has kept Greensboro on the table for me as I like the feel a large university provides. I'm also encouraged by the promise of diversity as I live someplace now that while diverse, the majority of white caucasians don't see the value in other "weird foods"...which kills me as a foodie.
Greensboro has great "weird foods"

Old 07-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Greensboro has great "weird foods"
LOL, good to know and glad to hear they're largely supported since still in business. Another facet of the food scene I miss from living outside of FL is farmers markets. Here there is a strange acceptance of what passes for one which normally consists of some guy with fruits and vegetables that he's picked up at the wholesale produce terminal that's very rarely local and often the same truck-ripened stuff imported from Mexico, along with other vendors selling flea market stuff and one or two with homed baked something or others. Interestingly enough when pointed out there aren't any farmers at the farmers market I usually get that blank look and shoulder shrug like "oh well". Bizarro...

Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,702,296 times
Quote:
LOL, good to know and glad to hear they're largely supported since still in business. Another facet of the food scene I miss from living outside of FL is farmers markets. Here there is a strange acceptance of what passes for one which normally consists of some guy with fruits and vegetables that he's picked up at the wholesale produce terminal that's very rarely local and often the same truck-ripened stuff imported from Mexico, along with other vendors selling flea market stuff and one or two with homed baked something or others. Interestingly enough when pointed out there aren't any farmers at the farmers market I usually get that blank look and shoulder shrug like "oh well". Bizarro...
That IS bizarre. Not so in Greensboro. There is a large market, and several neighborhood markets. The one I like is downtown on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. I get my eggs from Mr. Woody and my local honey from the bee guy there. It's a fun, friendly experience. I always run into people I know.

I was raised in Greensboro, left as a young woman, and returned when my parents needed me. I enjoy living here. I never thought I would be back, but I am really enjoying living here. I lived in DC and Charleston, and I had forgotten how nice it is not to even think about traffic, or tourists. It sounds to me like you might appreciate what is great about Greensboro.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
That IS bizarre. Not so in Greensboro. There is a large market, and several neighborhood markets. The one I like is downtown on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. I get my eggs from Mr. Woody and my local honey from the bee guy there. It's a fun, friendly experience. I always run into people I know.

I was raised in Greensboro, left as a young woman, and returned when my parents needed me. I enjoy living here. I never thought I would be back, but I am really enjoying living here. I lived in DC and Charleston, and I had forgotten how nice it is not to even think about traffic, or tourists. It sounds to me like you might appreciate what is great about Greensboro.
I have a similar story and had moved back to Central FL to be close to my elderly parents after living in Philly for 10 years, DC for 7 years and Durham-Chapel Hill for 7 years. I've kind of gotten "stuck" here since they passed away 5-6 years ago through self-employment (I own a small business), but feel I need to get unstuck and get out before I go completely bitter over living in a place I've never found I fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point