Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

I have been back and forth, and up and down regarding where to move as I have been living in an area I have more/less become stuck in (Central Florida) through family obligations and overall a sense of analysis paralysis the past few years. Greensboro seems to have the lower cost of living/housing costs, the climate I like (not too hot or cold), a progressive vibe in terms of city government plus openness to diversity and what appears a bright future economically. I don't know anyone in Greensboro and wonder what it's like as someone who has moved there in that situation, are people friendly and open to newcomers in terms of forming friendships? I am somewhat outgoing but not a night owl, so not someone who would go about that kind of socializing to meet others. I'm a mid 50s gay male which again doesn't mean anything to me in terms of bars/clubs as I am well past that phase and it's more about meeting a more diverse group of friends/acquaintances for outdoor activities, day trips, eating out, hosting dinners/bbqs, etc. Thanks in advance for any and all positive feedback as well as constructive negative responses as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:22 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
G'boro is a nice place...and it has the attributes you seek. As do, frankly, many other places. I you would find most of the people there to be just as welcoming, open and friendly as you offer yourself to be. IN other words, you will get what you give. And again, I think that is true of many places. The presence of UNC-G and the city's history of openness and inclusiveness probably make it a good match for you.

You should probably consider Winston-Salem as well; the 2 cities are very similar.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
G'boro is a nice place...and it has the attributes you seek. As do, frankly, many other places. I you would find most of the people there to be just as welcoming, open and friendly as you offer yourself to be. IN other words, you will get what you give. And again, I think that is true of many places. The presence of UNC-G and the city's history of openness and inclusiveness probably make it a good match for you.

You should probably consider Winston-Salem as well; the 2 cities are very similar.
Absolutely, I agree! I find that area of the country (the Mid-Atlantic region) most appealing for whatever reason, I guess due to the topography and the milder four season climate. I had been conflicted when choosing either Greensboro or Winston Salem as I found it appealing too, but feel Greensboro seems a bit more vibrant in/around it's downtown area which I attribute to UNCG as well as other venues like the ballpark. I do like WS's bohemian vibe that I wish was a little more present in Greensboro. I should mention I lived many years in the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro area which I enjoyed greatly, but worry I would feel out of place not part of the academic world that was a big part of my life while living there.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:34 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Greensboro is mid-Atlantic??????

Old 06-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greensboro is mid-Atlantic??????
Close enough, it's less than an hour to the Virginia state line and feels a good bit more Mid-Atlantic than Southeast US in my opinion. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...C6Wb0gKYw7qADg

Old 06-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Close enough, it's less than an hour to the Virginia state line and feels a good bit more Mid-Atlantic than Southeast US in my opinion. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...C6Wb0gKYw7qADg
That's interesting; nothing about Greensboro feels mid-Atlantic to me. It's not coastal or close to a major body of water nor does have the urban/architectural influences (e.g., rowhouses); those are probably the two major mid-Atlantic characteristics to me. From religion to accents to cuisine to demographics, Greensboro is completely Southern/Southeastern--the urban version, not the rural version.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's interesting; nothing about Greensboro feels mid-Atlantic to me. It's not coastal or close to a major body of water nor does have the urban/architectural influences (e.g., rowhouses); those are probably the two major mid-Atlantic characteristics to me. From religion to accents to cuisine to demographics, Greensboro is completely Southern/Southeastern--the urban version, not the rural version.
Perhaps our interpretations are different?? I find the non-coastal areas of Piedmont NC and Central VA quite similar.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:12 PM

120 posts, read 158,562 times
I think you'll be happy here.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps our interpretations are different?? I find the non-coastal areas of Piedmont NC and Central VA quite similar.
So let me ask this: what exactly comes across as mid-Atlantic in Greensboro to you? The only thing I can possibly think of is the Quaker presence/influence and that's really it.

The mid-Atlantic city closest in size to Greensboro that I'm familiar with is Wilmington, DE and they share very few similarities.

It seems as though you're using the term mid-Atlantic here as "Southern, but not Deep Southern." Central VA is where you begin seeing some mid-Atlantic characteristics but it's not truly the full-blown mid-Atlantic. By the time you get to NC, those characteristics have largely disappeared.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:22 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Regional details aside, I think Greensboro (or Winston) might fit you nicely. Both have quite a bit of higher ed influence. Granted, Wake Forest's campus is farther removed from downtown Winston than UNCG's is from downtown GSO, but WFU is increasingly putting down roots downtown. Plus there are lots of other colleges and universities in both, which is always nice.

Have you spent time in either recently? I see you've asked a similar question on the Columbia, SC forum. I've lived in both and would be happy to share more details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point