U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 11:50 AM

23,653 posts, read 33,472,314 times

Advertisements

Has anybody in the Piedmont Triad area lived in Hampton Roads or Northern VA? I love HR and i hate NoVA and i'd like to know the bigger differences between the Piedmont and these areas of VA. I'd also not mind comparisons to Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 AM

52 posts, read 170,745 times
I was in richmond for all of about 5 hours but from my time there, i can tell you a few things.

The air is different: The sky isn't carolina blue in richmond. and the smell in the air is different. Greensboro smells cleaner, i guess.

When it gets cold and snows up there, there's nothing to do. down in greensboro, snow is an event, even if its a couple of inches.

Greensboro has more working-class chain restaurants (tgifridays, applebees, tripps, steaknshake....) Richmond has a more upscale restaurants. we both have pf changs and those type of places.

Richmond has nightlife every day of the week. Greensboro banks on friday and saturdays with wednesday or thursday usually being college night at bars and clubs.

If you live a more "outgoing" lifestyle, you will find that even with 5 large colleges here, you tend to run into someone who knows someone you know somehow. and thus, one friend left complaing that she had dated almost every bartender in town and couldn't be seen anywhere because most of them knew of each other through someone else at clubs. this was confirmed by another friend who now lives in chicago.

maybe this all depends on what kind of attitude you have and where you live, but the same friend in richmond has been there for a year and she's ready to leave claiming that its hard to want to put down roots when all the people around you are all there waiting to leave. please note that they all work in the restaurant industry. when i worked in a restaurant, I was ready to move out of state at a moments notice. now that i have a career, i don't mind staying in one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point