U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2017, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
16 posts, read 14,753 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

There's a rumor on Nextdoor that a Sprouts Market might be taking over that location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM
 
217 posts, read 159,050 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure that isn't going to happen.
I'm sure you're right. Now that they own Harris Teeter, I don't see why they would want to compete with themselves. Kroger is just so much cheaper and has better products (for what I like to buy) than Harris Teeter. It just sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2017, 06:48 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,916 posts, read 2,020,323 times
Reputation: 5880
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I'm sure you're right. Now that they own Harris Teeter, I don't see why they would want to compete with themselves. Kroger is just so much cheaper and has better products (for what I like to buy) than Harris Teeter. It just sucks.
Krogers are still all over the Triangle. I'm unclear on why they are in the Triangle, but nowhere else in North Carolina when they used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Krogers are still all over the Triangle. I'm unclear on why they are in the Triangle, but nowhere else in North Carolina when they used to be.
I'm sure the decision to stay in the Triangle market (and conversely, abandon the rest of the NC market) was based on both present and projected profitability, market share, distribution logistics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 PM
 
Location: The City of Medicine
1,196 posts, read 834,001 times
Reputation: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I'm sure you're right. Now that they own Harris Teeter, I don't see why they would want to compete with themselves. Kroger is just so much cheaper and has better products (for what I like to buy) than Harris Teeter. It just sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure the decision to stay in the Triangle market (and conversely, abandon the rest of the NC market) was based on both present and projected profitability, market share, distribution logistics, etc.
As far as distribution, the Triad is closer to Kroger's DC than the Triangle. However, I heard some stores (cough Greenville cough) closed for this exact reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 12:25 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
As far as distribution, the Triad is closer to Kroger's DC than the Triangle. However, I heard some stores (cough Greenville cough) closed for this exact reason.
Where is the DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM
 
Location: The City of Medicine
1,196 posts, read 834,001 times
Reputation: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Where is the DC?
Salem, VA.

This is anecdotal, but I think the Kroger stores would have stayed in the Triad if it weren't for the fact that they were swapped out for Harris Teeter's Roanoke and Lynchburg stores. Many of the stores were open for less than 10 years when they got swapped out. A few (like the one that was on Wendover) was still brand new when they closed.

Kroger's Mid-Atlantic division is headquartered in Roanoke, so they're pretty dominant up that way.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 07-13-2017 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Salem, VA.
Not enough of a difference to be meaningful then, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 08:04 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,916 posts, read 2,020,323 times
Reputation: 5880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure the decision to stay in the Triangle market (and conversely, abandon the rest of the NC market) was based on both present and projected profitability, market share, distribution logistics, etc.
I can see this for a store like Wegman's, for example, which has a higher-end demographic and a store that lots of people from up North who live in the Triangle are familiar with. I imagine if you stopped 100 people on the street in the Triangle and the Triad, significantly fewer people in the Triad have even heard of Wegman's. For Kroger, I'm guessing the name recognition would be pretty equal in both areas.

Kroger's demographics seem more mid-range and middle America, which seems to fit the Triad overall as well or better than the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I can see this for a store like Wegman's, for example, which has a higher-end demographic and a store that lots of people from up North who live in the Triangle are familiar with. I imagine if you stopped 100 people on the street in the Triangle and the Triad, significantly fewer people in the Triad have even heard of Wegman's. For Kroger, I'm guessing the name recognition would be pretty equal in both areas.

Kroger's demographics seem more mid-range and middle America, which seems to fit the Triad overall as well or better than the Triangle.
Ok, but you may have noticed I didn't mention brand familiarity or demographics in my response. As I noted, there are other factors potentially involved. The Triad obviously wasn't a profitable area for them, bottom line. And they didn't choose to deploy additional capital (in the form of more stores or more marketing) to change that. They chose to invest in other areas where they saw the opportunity for a greater return on investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top