Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 PM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am starting to become familiar with some of the smaller, historical neighborhoods of Greensboro, like the Aycock area and let me just say I LOVE THAT KIND OF PLACE! I have always wanted an older, quirky home that I could rebuild and love and stay in for the rest of my life, ya know? Ever since I was 17 I used to drive around neighborhoods and look at the old neighorhoods. Now how's that for an outcast teenager. Now, here I am verging on 40 and building a family and I'm ready to cast out my line.

What older, historic neighborhoods are there in the GBO, Triad area and how I can find homes and listings in those areas? I don't mind leaving the Greensboro city limits either for the right place, either! Jamestown, High Point, way north, I just want to find an easier way to search for these from my desktop before the move so we can start looking right away.

Being the budding family however, we have a tighter budget. The most we can afford on a home is about 150K. I don't mind going below that for a home with "needs" in order to fix it up. Carpentry is a hobby of mine, too. Just the larger things need to be intact like plumbing, structure and so on. You can work around pretty much anything else.

Thanks a bunch kiddos! See you soon I hope! xoxo ~ Angie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM

52 posts, read 188,419 times
you missed the bombardment of folks rehabing the older homes. alot of them are already taken over. and at 150, I'm not going to push you toward the MLK area but that may be in your price range. oh yeah and greensboro is a little on the aggressive side when it comes to rebuilding to the historical look on the outside. one guy did paint his house pink with purple polka dots to protest.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,501 times
If you really look around you could find a place in westerwood or sunset hills, but it would be on the smaller side at that price range. That is, you could live AMONG historic homes. IMHO you are not going to find a historic home at that price in greensboro. I would not invest in the MLK area, that area has yet to prove itself that it is on the upswing.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:40 PM

799 posts, read 3,225,931 times
Hmm...What does MLK stand for?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Martin Luther King Drive

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I know that a few folks have bought homes near a university that were at some point in their history used as fraternity or sorority houses, and generally left trashed. Maybe one of those might be in your price range?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,692 times
The areas surrounding UNCG are College Hill (designated Historic District, Westerwood to the North (tried to be designated Historic but was not), College Park/Sunset Hills/Lindley Park to the west, and Glenwood to the south. For your price range, you will either find a 2/1 in one of the "nicer" areas or you can get one heck of an older home in Glenwood. Many fine homes in the area, some that if you put them in Lindley park would be over $120 a square foot.

Aycock is a Historic District, but not close to the G, so you may be able to find something there in your price range. Fisher Park... well good luck. They are getting close to $130-150 a foot in there.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 PM

I forgot about Glenwood, good suggestion yourhometriad. You could get a place to fix up there dirt cheap. BUT there are tons of rentals in the neighborhood and more crime than any of the other areas mentioned (perhaps with the exception of MLK).

Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I was more or less thinking of the area around Wake Forest, although the area around UNCG was a possibility, but I thought it might be too pricey.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:37 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,580,132 times
Ole Asheboro Neighborhood (MLK) is where you can probabally find a few reasonable homes but of course you have to deal with the crime perception in that neighborhood. Its really not that bad but you know what people say in any city in America "stay away from MLK Dr". Its more of a perception than reality because MLK Jr Drive runs right through the heart of the award winning downtown Southside neighborhood which has half a million dollar townhomes and the city's most upscale wine cafe that line MLK. But Id be careful about Ole Ashboro south of Lee Street.

Fisher Park is probabally the most expensive historic neighborhood that borders downtown so you might not find anything there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point