U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:36 PM

5 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

Ok, husband just got transferred to NC. We can truly live anywhere, but he will be mostly in the triad region, traveling mostly between triad, and back and forth to Raleigh..

Wondering what would be a good area to look at, for safety, would like a little larger lot, more established neighborhoods, good resale ability.
Price range : 175-200k or of course lower if that's possible.

We don't want to be so rural it takes us 25 minutes to find a grocery store or Walmart, but wouldn't mind 10.

Also, need to add we are homeschoolers, so schools aren't a focus.

Thank you guys so very much.
Too excited to sleep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:15 AM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddeal5 View Post
Ok, husband just got transferred to NC. We can truly live anywhere, but he will be mostly in the triad region, traveling mostly between triad, and back and forth to Raleigh..

Wondering what would be a good area to look at, for safety, would like a little larger lot, more established neighborhoods, good resale ability.

We don't want to be so rural it takes us 25 minutes to find a grocery store or Walmart, but wouldn't mind 10.

Thank you guys so very much.
Too excited to sleep!
It depends how often your husband will be going back and forth to Raleigh. You could probably live in Northern High Point or Kernersville if he's only going to be doing that commute a few times a month. But if it's once a week or more, you'll probably want to look at Burlington or Elon.

As far as your price range is concerned, it depends on what you're looking for, but you shouldn't have a problem finding something for $200K or less. If you're looking for 2000 sq ft and 4 beds and 2.5 baths, you'll probably be on the high end of your range. But if you can make do with 1500 sq ft, 3 beds and 2 baths, you could easily find something at around $150K or so and probably as low as $120K if you don't mind a few projects while you live there.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Ok, husband just got transferred to NC.
We can truly live anywhere, but he will be mostly in the triad region,
traveling mostly between triad, and back and forth to Raleigh..

Wondering what would be a good area to look at...
The Triad. Which specific spot is more about access to the other things in your lives.
Theater? Performing Arts? Fine Arts? Cinema? Hiking? Camping?

Quote:
...a little larger lot, more established neighborhoods, good resale ability.
That can be done almost anywhere in the Triad.

So... what are the other things you want?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 AM

239 posts, read 213,032 times
If your husband Is going back and forth to the triangle I'd look at whitsett Elon and west Burlington basically exits 135-140. Those areas are around 45-50mins from raliegh downtown and about 15mins from Greensboro downtown and not far from Durham downtown also. That's of course if you must live in the triad. If not I'd look in Durham and surrounding area.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:21 AM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times
I'll echo some others here in saying that a few more details about what you're looking for in a place to live would be helpful. Have you visited the area at all? Do you have places that you've particularly enjoyed or that pique your interest?

As it stands, there are dozens of places that would satisfy your stated conditions.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 3,839 times
Thank you guys very much for responding. I'm sorry I'll try to add some more details.

We have been to the area, just for a few days, but we liked Burlington, Elon, and high point. Didn't get to see Winston Salem, or Greensboro. Traveled over to Durham, and couldn't find anything that appealed to me like the above area. I like to be able to have shopping and some walking trails close. We are coming from an area that didn't have much entertainment wise, so truly anything is an improvement for us. Love aquariums, zoos, anything with learning involved kids activities.

My hubs will travel to Raleigh area once every other week, and will be in the Greensboro area once a week..
Oh, would love to live close to a decent farmers market. Don't know if there is anything like that,

Would like 4 bedrooms, but nothing huge or fancy, definitely don't mind a little fixing up.
Biggest thing for us would be a flat fenced yard.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
...good resale ability.
Good schools (whether you use them or not) are what makes "good resale ability" work.
WHEN you sell you want to have what most buyers of suburban homes want.
You'll also want to have those kids nearby for your kids to play with.

As to your size & price range ($175-200 and 4 BR's) that can work in Winston pretty well.
The closer you get to the Triangle it works less well. Maybe even not at all.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:04 PM

239 posts, read 213,032 times
You can get that price range in Elon, Burlington, graham whitsett and gibsonville. if I were your husband I'd like to be in the middle of both Greensboro and the triangle.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 PM

10,677 posts, read 11,300,112 times
Mebane is worth a look too. It's got a cute little downtown with some fun shops, plus all the big box stores and the Tanger Outlets. Super accessible to I-40 for a jaunt up to G-boro (about 35 min) or down to Raleigh (about 45 min). Plenty of farmer's markets around.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 PM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
Quote:
Thank you guys very much for responding. I'm sorry I'll try to add some more details.

We have been to the area, just for a few days, but we liked Burlington, Elon, and high point. Didn't get to see Winston Salem, or Greensboro. Traveled over to Durham, and couldn't find anything that appealed to me like the above area. I like to be able to have shopping and some walking trails close. We are coming from an area that didn't have much entertainment wise, so truly anything is an improvement for us. Love aquariums, zoos, anything with learning involved kids activities.

My hubs will travel to Raleigh area once every other week, and will be in the Greensboro area once a week..
Oh, would love to live close to a decent farmers market. Don't know if there is anything like that,

Would like 4 bedrooms, but nothing huge or fancy, definitely don't mind a little fixing up.
Biggest thing for us would be a flat fenced yard.
I don't think there are any full-blown aquariums in Central NC, but Greensboro does have a miniature one in the Greensboro Science Center. I haven't been yet, but I've heard good things. As for zoos, the NC Zoo is in Asheboro about 30 minutes south of Greensboro. It's a pretty good zoo, but there is a ton of walking as it's arranged more of a straight line (similar to the DC Zoo) rather than in a loop. On the western end of Greensboro just north of High Point, there is a huge farmers market right off the highway and I know there are a few others as well.

I've got to say though that I'm a little surprised you didn't find anything in Durham, but to each their own. We've traveled to DPAC a couple times since moving to the Triad (last year).

As far as four bedrooms and a flat fenced yard, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something in your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point