U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 1,920 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am hoping you can help me out. We currently living in FL and my husband may be transferring up to WS area. We are looking for some true info and not just average statistics as I know it can range from city to city.

In a nutshell, I am trying to figure out true cost of living. I do realize there is state tax there and not here in Florida. However our taxes / association fees are through the roof here. For example on $295k at 3.01% our mortgage with taxes / ins / fees is $1875 - This is for a 3000sq ft 2015 home. We currently have solar but prior our electric would run avg of $250 a month (more during hotter months, less during cooler month which are far and few between) our water runs about $120 (Family of 4) and our vehicle insurance full coverage on a 2015 Explore and 08 Accord run about $1100 a year.

I am sure no one has our exact circumstance but if anyone out there is close and can give me some avg that would be great. We also spend about $250 a week on groceries that is at Publix, Walmart, Fresh Market (no matter where we shop and we eat pretty healthy but not 100%)

Would also like info on best neighborhoods (low crime, good for kids, homeschool community etc) I also need to add that both our kids play little league baseball and travel softball

Thank you all in advance and I am reading through the other posts on this forum as well so I apologize in advance if I am being redundant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogrown View Post
In a nutshell, I am trying to figure out true cost of living.
Don't reinvent the wheel. Use the bankrate table for 98% of the answers.
The Triad is 3-5% more expensive than Tampa metro.
Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

More specific info (numbers out) requires a very specific set of circumstances (numbers in).
Quote:
Would also like info on best neighborhoods (low crime, good for kids, homeschool community etc)
I also need to add that both our kids play little league baseball and travel softball
Almost anywhere could be just fine.

Plan to rent for the first year or so (near work) as you get settled into the new job and make some friends.
Use that time to poke around at your ease to find a longer term spot worth buying.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM

We are in a suburb of Tampa so that COL is a little skewed as an example in Tampa you can buy a home for about $76-$86 a sqft where as where we are it's closer to $115 a sqft. We also have much lower crime rates I know it's difficult to really narrow down and give specifics but as with all major things in life, its scary to uproot your family 600 miles away with no support. We have lived here our entire lives so it would really be a leap of faith... We ultimately want to retire there anyway (mainly for the seasons and seems to be more of southern charm / down to earth than here)

Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
We are in a suburb of Tampa so that COL is a little skewed...
That there is an example of having to get specific for better detailed answers.

In general... houses cost a bit LESS in the Triad vs Tampa but everything else costs a bit more.
Property taxes are a LOT lower but then you pay Income and PP tax.
The net of the overall differences (per bankrate) is in the 3-5% range.

Quote:
...where as where we are it's closer to $115 a sqft.
Houses aren't sold by the sq foot. Anywhere.

Quote:
...its scary to uproot your family 600 miles away with no support.
Expensive too. Don't do it on a dream

Old 08-05-2017, 10:24 AM

Where would be a good area to rent (low crime, homeschooling group, family type things to do) We do have every intent of renting for at least a year and I am not sure how it is there but here this street can be great and 2 blocks over is a drug / prostitute haven Thanks for all of your input - yes it is a "dream" but trying to make it a realistic dream

Old 08-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Where would be a good area to rent ...
In close proximity of the solid job you have secured before moving.

If/when you know that address... post back for more specific suggestions.
At least mention the nearest main intersection.
"may be transferring up to WS area" is just too vague

As regards Kernersville... well, it's east of WS so that makes the commute a bit easier
(less sun glare on I-40 AM & PM vs living west of WS)

nitty gritty: My observation is that most "homeschoolers" tend to be religious conservatives
with the rest tending to the crunchy granola secularist sort. Perhaps I'm wrong?
Whichever end of the spectrum you're on... find your group LINK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point