U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 PM

46 posts, read 17,387 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I feel so ignorant asking this. I know the political and economic client. But ask away I will.

First off, I didn't know where to post...NC or CA. I'm from Greensboro NC. My 90 year old dad and a sister still live there, another sister up in VA. I've been in CA 25 years. Had a child with a man who took me to court when child was tiny and had judge order me to stay - not just in CA - but in Sonoma County if I wanted to parent (which of course I did). That was 18 years ago. Don't know if anyone has seen various news sources now saying Sonoma County the 8th most expensive county in the USA. (Point is I would have moved to NC then)
Child has moved out - she's 18, very independent, doing good will go to college in a year. I am free to move.

Perhaps this is unnecessary information, but I am waiting to see if the local office of Education is going to offer another cohort this spring - an internship based program for prospective special education teachers. I am busting my butt to take these CSET exams...in the hope they will offer the program...I wanted to take the program back when child young...but excessive litigation on behalf of childs father, and an increasingly disabling disease, as well as a pretty bad car wreck from a drunk drive thrown in there (finally had major neck surgery which corrected 3 years of chronic pain)... I didn't quite get to it. I got by housecleaning, being a massage therapist, other physical type jobs. But with all the physical problems I've developed - the disease and the car wreck(s) (yes, several, not one of them my fault)...somehow getting into the local school for two years seemed unfathomable.

The long and short of all that is I'm taking the tests...one more left in two weeks, only know I've passed one - results are slow, in the hope this more inexpensive, and, in my opinion, better way of learning to teach program will indeed happen. It is not a for sure thing....should know in a month or two.

I'm still sick...years of steroids, immuron, etc. Hope arrives! It looks like I will get approved for Remicade infusions and hopefully start them this month. I hope no one bashes me here, I really do, because I am relying on Medi-Cal to pay for all of this. Remicade could change my life. It could enable me to be a much more fully functioning human being, and finally have a real career/vocation. There are a few too many 'ifs' in this story for me, but its the best plan I can come up with.

The punch line...if you made it this far...is I want to go back to NC to be close to my dad. My thinking all along has been no way will Medicaid (since NC one of states that opted out of expanding their Medicaid services) would be willing to cover Remicade, perhaps not even some of my other meds. So with that thought i'm hanging out here, by a thread, hoping this school program will indeed happen, hurdle two: I get accepted, then I'm good to go. Two years later if dad still alive, hop tail it to NC and teach there (take whatever test they need me to)
But I haven't done my due diligence...maybe I could actually get Medicaid in NC, that would cover my Remicade, make sure I'm with my dad some before he passes....and go to school back there. I just don't know how to figure it out. I am going to visit later this month....but can't imagine getting a concrete answer somehow if I walked in the Public Health office....I'm not sure they would know about drugs like Remicade, etc....applying for it here is a 2 inch thick stack of papers to prove I'm sick enough for it.

I just applied online to healthcare.gov. It was confusing....asked if I can't care for myself - I can. Finished up the application...said I wouldn't get Medicaid. But then theres wording that if have disability or special health needs....well yes, I have special health needs but they didn't ask that.

Sorry so long....any suggestions on how to find out about possible low cost/poor mans health coverage in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekinganswers53 View Post
Need help figuring out if will get the health coverage in NC I currently get in CA
The short answer is no.
Principally because NC doesn't have plans like CA or subscribe to federal medicare expansion.

The long answer requires asking one of the HI brokers.
Get their statements in writing.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 AM

46 posts, read 17,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The short answer is no.
Principally because NC doesn't have plans like CA or subscribe to federal medicare expansion.

The long answer requires asking one of the HI brokers.
Get their statements in writing.
Thanks for your short, succinct response (given my rather long post).

Ok, that is what I thought. Having rarely been employed by a business, or hopefully in my future case, a school system, would they provide adequate insurance that would cover these type of medication/treatment needs for me should i live in one of these states? I am assuming the answer is an easy yes...I have primarily worked as an independent contractor so have very little experience with this. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or