U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,663 times

Advertisements

Hi from Seattle!

I hope you've had success in your move and job search. I have a question now for you:

I'm thinking of moving TO Farmville. Is it really that redneck a place, given the influence of Longwood University and all? I visited recently, and it seemed quite the quaint and upwardly bound little college town.

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,663 times
I've a question for you: I'm thinking of moving from Seattle TO Farmville. My impression is that it's an upward-moving, quaint little town greatly influenced by the presence of Longwood University. But, now your comment has my radar up. Is Farmville, VA really a "Farmville, Virginia is a dirty, racist, partisan place that should be picked clean by vultures."? If so, maybe I should rethink the faculty position they've recently offered...

Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 18,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathytown22 View Post
Hi from Seattle!

I hope you've had success in your move and job search. I have a question now for you:

I'm thinking of moving TO Farmville. Is it really that redneck a place, given the influence of Longwood University and all? I visited recently, and it seemed quite the quaint and upwardly bound little college town.

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.
Hello! I'd love to provide you some information on Farmville. I finally made the move to the Burlington area. I'm now making a pleasant, peaceful living in Graham, which is four miles outside of Burlington.

When it comes to Farmville, looks can be deceiving. On the outside, it looks like a forward moving, progressive community. Such a statement couldn't be farther from the truth. Longwood, which I have a serious distaste for as a former student, likes to give the image of progression in the community. Honestly, though, the University and the Town of Farmville have been in a pissing match for years. They don't really care for one another and their actions show it. Just this last year, both wasted tons of money trying to "beautify" themselves... with neither being quite successful. If the town does something Longwood doesn't like, they'll build a new and useless building in an awkward place. If the University does something the town doesn't like, they'll take parking away.

Of note, parking around Longwood is sad. There are T O N S of faculty parking spots, but minimal student spots. For example, in my sophomore year, they had approximately 375 designated sophomore parking spots. How many sophomore parking decals did they sell to students? 525! Be prepared to hear students complain... a lot (and rightfully so).

The community itself is a joke. You'd be surrounded by some of the most unintelligent, self-absorbed, greedy folks you'll ever meet! That's saying a lot considering that most of the community is at or below the poverty line. I dare say, most of that is by choice because they live off the government and community clinics. As a bank manager, I saw proof of this every first and third of the month. Folks then swarmed to Wal-Mart to cash their checks and load up on crap. Take note that Wal-Mart is your only department store within an hour radius. You'll have to drive quite a ways to Lynchburg, Charlottesville or Richmond for decent shopping.

Gangs and drugs are a big problem in Farmville as well. It's not unheard of for people to get jumped in parking lots and be robbed. It's also a yearly thing for a drug dealer or two to wind up dead in the area. You can imagine why.

All in all, Farmville is a sad place. People are ultra-conservative, regressive and not apt to listen to new and progressive concepts. If the bible says it's not ok, well then damn it you're a sinner! Rednecks are abound and they're proud of it! On the opposite end of the spectrum, thug life is the way to be for most minorities in the community. Education is not looked upon in a positive light. All in all, to most folks, it's all about driving a nice ride and having a good time.

As to the living situation, homes are typically overpriced and utility pricing is jacked up.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I know my review of Farmville is drastic and sad, but it's honest and straight-forward. Thanks for asking!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:04 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,058,473 times
Well,....just for grins and giggles, Mebane also has the best Mexican Restaurant in this part of N. Carolina, get there early in the evening and you are quite likely to be the only "gringo" in the place. Also, for such a small town, one would not normally find two really nice restaurants, there is a quite good Italian place in downtown Mebane (downtown Mebane, hummmmm, sounds strange when phrased thusly) Highway 70 is the main drag, there is a parallel street across the tracks south of 70 (the library is there, on the western edge of town) and another parallel north of 70, bunch of antique shops, a bakery, a couple of bars, and an upscale grocery. The downtown area is about a quarter of a mile long, oh yeah, a few banks, a great hardware store and Southern States (a feed and plant store, Cindy, is the local plant guru (what is the feminine of guru?) One of those rare times I actually try to be politically correct.) The Mebane Enterprise and Fishwrapper is the local paper. All in all, it really is a nice place to live, except, last week, someone, presumeably a newcomer, actually honked their horn at me, and not to wave hello, in the years I've lived here, that was the first time this had happened. So be warned, there is at least one person here without manners!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM

62 posts, read 181,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well,....just for grins and giggles, Mebane also has the best Mexican Restaurant in this part of N. Carolina, get there early in the evening and you are quite likely to be the only "gringo" in the place. Also, for such a small town, one would not normally find two really nice restaurants, there is a quite good Italian place in downtown Mebane (downtown Mebane, hummmmm, sounds strange when phrased thusly) Highway 70 is the main drag, there is a parallel street across the tracks south of 70 (the library is there, on the western edge of town) and another parallel north of 70, bunch of antique shops, a bakery, a couple of bars, and an upscale grocery. The downtown area is about a quarter of a mile long, oh yeah, a few banks, a great hardware store and Southern States (a feed and plant store, Cindy, is the local plant guru (what is the feminine of guru?) One of those rare times I actually try to be politically correct.) The Mebane Enterprise and Fishwrapper is the local paper. All in all, it really is a nice place to live, except, last week, someone, presumeably a newcomer, actually honked their horn at me, and not to wave hello, in the years I've lived here, that was the first time this had happened. So be warned, there is at least one person here without manners!
What are the names of these restaurants? My husband and I are moving to an apartment in Mebane next week. Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
I'm from Ohio planning on moving to either. Zebulon, mebane, or Burlington.. any suggestions.im looking for a small town yet still have nearby shopping like walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point