U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

I've done my fair share of research, especially on here but I'm not seeing a whole lot of feedback on my age group... maybe it's just the website... I'm about to graduate from Corpus Christi, TX and I'm for a couple jobs in teh W-S/Greeensboro area (4 jobs to be specific) and I was really excited because I've been wanting to move back to the east coast. But I'm in my younger 20s... is this really the kind of a town a person my age can havbe fun in while starting their career? I'm not looking for a huge city, I live in Corpus Christi, TX (pop 285,000) but I want something with more liveliness than the dull "island lifestyle" im in right now. From what I've read most people think it's not great for a young-single lifestyle...Anyone in their 20s that live there think that too ?? Any suggestions of other places in NC/SC that isn't too metropolitan, but still fun for a young 20 something female ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,719,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrieMelody View Post
I've done my fair share of research, especially on here but I'm not seeing a whole lot of feedback on my age group... maybe it's just the website... I'm about to graduate from Corpus Christi, TX and I'm for a couple jobs in teh W-S/Greeensboro area (4 jobs to be specific) and I was really excited because I've been wanting to move back to the east coast. But I'm in my younger 20s... is this really the kind of a town a person my age can havbe fun in while starting their career? I'm not looking for a huge city, I live in Corpus Christi, TX (pop 285,000) but I want something with more liveliness than the dull "island lifestyle" im in right now. From what I've read most people think it's not great for a young-single lifestyle...Anyone in their 20s that live there think that too ?? Any suggestions of other places in NC/SC that isn't too metropolitan, but still fun for a young 20 something female ?
Charlotte is THE place to be for young single professionals!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:19 AM

52 posts, read 170,647 times
Greensboro isn't bigger than 285k. we are probably somewhere around 240k or so you have to factor in that we have been a victim of urban sprawl but the gaps are starting to fill in. there are also other cities within 15 minutes in each direction. as a 27yrold who has lived here his whole life, its not too bad but the minute someone compares us to raleigh or charlotte, we fail in comparison. As a female, you'll be fine here. I hear more guys say greensboro sucks for singles than ladies. The minute you aren't single, it doesn't suck lol.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:57 PM

9 posts, read 38,846 times
Greensboro is a pretty cool city. Its a beautiful city, lots of trees and its continuing to grow. Its also a college town with a lot of colleges. It doesn't have a lot of young professionals like Raliegh and Charlotte, but it is a very calm place to live that is only 4.5 hours from Atlanta and DC. The beauty of the east coast is that everything is close to each other and if you wanted to go to Charlotte or Raleigh to chill its only a 90 minute drive to Charlotte and 50 minute drive to Raleigh. Being single isn't that bad, and I don't think its a big problem for females. Males usually have the problem.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,624 times
If I was you I would look into Charlotte or Raleigh area first. Raleigh has NC State a large university with many college students along with a few smaller colleges. There are also beautiful neighborhoods and more job potential. But if I had to pick between Winston and Greensboro, I would probably pick Greensboro for someone younger. However, Winston is probably the cheapest city to live in out of the ones listed.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
Greensboro is the perfect location for singles- we're only 1.5 hours to Charlotte and Raleigh if you can't find anything to do here, but we're cheaper than both. Plus we have a booming downtown these days- if you can't find stuff to do here, you ain't lookin hard enuff!

Not to mention we're 2 hours to the mountains and 3 or so to the beach. Dang near perfect if you ask me.

But I am biased...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 14,256 times
Default Winston-Salem for singles

Hi there..what about W-S for a single professional women in early thirties? I live in Chicago now, but in the suburbs. I like the slower pace and relative safety of the burbs, but I miss the singles and action of the city. A smaller city like W-S seems like it would offer both options, and since I can work from home, I love the lower cost of living. I could afford a backyard for my dog to enjoy, I know he would love it.

I don't need a bar scene, I love the outdoors and just want to explore a new area. That said, I'd also like to meet someone who has similar interests.

Do you think W-S would provide this type of environment?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,329,638 times
You asked for other suggestions within the Carolinas, and I think you should consider Charleston as well.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,140,994 times
Default One Word

Charlotte.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM

12 posts, read 32,022 times
I would definitely not recommend WS for a young professional. Ive been here a year and honestly even having 10 of my closest friends with me the nightlife sucks. There just isnt a whole lot to do. You know its bad when Wild Wing Cafe is the best dancing spot. I think it would be a great place to raise a family though bc its relatively cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point