U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 PM

22 posts, read 18,130 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on towns near and in W-S area for relocation from our current location outside of Mooresville, NC. We’re considering: W-S (west or northwest areas primarily), Clemmons, Lewisville and Yadkinville (open to other suggestions as well).

My husband and I are looking to potentially relocate for more work opportunities.
About Us:
Husband:
• Works in manufacturing in production/qc and is having a terrible time finding work close to our area.
• Will be looking for a job in the area
• Loves to ride his motorcycle
• Cigars
Me:
• Work in digital marketing but work from home so location is not an issue for me at the moment, however if I need to find work in the future I’d need to be close to marketing opportunities (I currently work for a large construction products manufacturer in digital marketing but have worked in many different industries throughout my career).
• Wineries, breweries
Us:
• No kids
• 40 years old
• Animal lovers
• Likes shopping (consignment/local places over malls, but those are ok too!)
• Foodies! Local restaurants (prefer non-chains)
• Festivals, events, etc.
• Upper middle-class
• More conservative
• No religious affiliation
• Been living in Sherrills Ford, outside Mooresville for 2 years. Originally from CT.
Looking for:
• House: Single-family home, no cookie cutter (prefer older more established neighborhoods), ½ acre or more preferably, $325k or less, 2000+ sf,
• Close to conveniences, but not city life – we prefer more suburbs or rural within 20-30 min of city activities, restaurants, shopping etc.
• Ideally would love to have acreage…but could be swayed for the right house as long as it’s not on top of our neighbors
• No cookie cutter neighborhoods

We’re open to W-S and other suburbs…tell me…what areas do you think would be a fit and why? Any and all opinions are appreciated as we investigate new areas. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 AM

28,519 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers77 View Post
Looking for advice on towns near and in W-S area for relocation...
My husband and I are looking to potentially relocate for more work opportunities.
As with all movers... don't move without at least one solid job lined up in advance.
Then rent for a year or so and as close as practical to that job while you look for all the rest.

If you insist on moving WITHOUT that job ... absolutely rent. And at the cheap end.
But do so fairly close to the highways.

40's, no kids and dogs and "affordable" = Washington Park
http://www.washingtonparkneighbors.org/

Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 AM

22 posts, read 18,130 times
Thanks Mr Rationale for the quick response -

I will be keeping my current job, therefore 1 of us will be working when we move. I have a very good job, so we could afford a house just on my salary.

We've been renting here in the Mooresville area for 2 years and really don't want to move into a rental again. We'd prefer to own a home again.

Quote:
40's, no kids and dogs and "affordable" = Washington Park
What do you like about this area of W-S?

Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 AM

28,519 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Quote:
most notably... that's where the dogrun is

Old 08-12-2017, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
Quote:
Thanks Mr Rationale for the quick response -

I will be keeping my current job, therefore 1 of us will be working when we move. I have a very good job, so we could afford a house just on my salary.

We've been renting here in the Mooresville area for 2 years and really don't want to move into a rental again. We'd prefer to own a home again.

It's a cool area that just continues to improve and gain in value. WP has the largest park in the city and also has a dog park as well...it's also very close to Old Salem, which has some awesome stuff to do and places to eat.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:37 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,454,204 times
Washington Park in no way meets your criteria for "not city life – we prefer more suburbs or rural". Its an in-town neighborhood about 5 minutes from downtown.

You basically listed the best places for you to look at the beginning of your post...Clemmons, Lewisville, Pfafftown, and eastern Yadkin and Davie Counties.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,534,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Washington Park in no way meets your criteria for "not city life – we prefer more suburbs or rural". Its an in-town neighborhood about 5 minutes from downtown.

You basically listed the best places for you to look at the beginning of your post...Clemmons, Lewisville, Pfafftown, and eastern Yadkin and Davie Counties.
Yeah, I wouldn't say WP would be the best fit. The lots are often small, the nicer properties are at the top of (or beyond) your price range and the more affordable properties often need a lot of work. WP works for a lot of people, but I don't know if it meets your stated criteria, Rivers77.

I think BC1960 is spot-on here if you want suburbs, specifically. If you're open to parts of Winston proper with a suburban feel, you could add lots of areas of the west and NW side of Winston. Sections of the SW and S sides of Winston could work too, though the housing stock is more of a mixed bag, in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or