Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

I was just posting on another thread in the Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill Cary subforum, but you might want to look into the North Carolina School of Science and Math for him. It is a residential boarding school in Durham for 11th and 12th grade students from all over the state who are academically gifted — not only science and math, although that is their focus. They have students who excel in the arts, too.

If you're not interested in the residential experience, they do offer online courses also, so if he ends up in West Forsyth or Reagan and doesn't find it challenging enough that might be an option.

Check it out at https://www.ncssm.edu/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was just posting on another thread in the Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill Cary subforum, but you might want to look into the North Carolina School of Science and Math for him. It is a residential boarding school in Durham for 11th and 12th grade students from all over the state who are academically gifted — not only science and math, although that is their focus. They have students who excel in the arts, too.

If you're not interested in the residential experience, they do offer online courses also, so if he ends up in West Forsyth or Reagan and doesn't find it challenging enough that might be an option.

Check it out at https://www.ncssm.edu/
Tried to rep you, but it wouldn't let me.

The NC School of Math and Science is GREAT! I've known people whose kids have gone there, and they had excellent experiences.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 PM

42 posts, read 40,335 times
Poppydog and road pony:
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I went through ncssm's profile and it is an excellent option.
We will surely apply here.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,660 times
I agree that NCSSM has a wonderful campus and curriculum. I graduated from the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts and it definitely prepared me for college both academically, but also living independently from my parents.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:17 PM

123 posts, read 278,347 times
Reagan High school was awesome for my son, he spent the last two years going to the career center taking AP classes also. All I can say is make sure you son joins some clubs, takes part in extra activities etc. My son ran track, and joined ROTC. Great school with lots of opportunities to excel.

Good luck, how about re-visiting this thread in 4-5 year and letting us know the outcome.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 PM

536 posts, read 639,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadNerd View Post
We just came back from a short trip to WS and Greensboro area. We completely agree with all above mentioned suggestions that we should stay in WS. We have narrowed down the areas draining Reagan and West Forsyth high schools.
- If my son studies at these schools and want to attend AP courses will he be attending all such courses at career center? Or just the courses which are not available at these schools?
- If he attends some or all AP courses at Career center then how he will commute? Does the school provide transportation?
- Communting will waste some time. May be they plan to spend all day at one school?

Pls guide and clarify.
Thanks in advance for your time and inputs.
Have you considered the Early College of Forsyth? It's probably the top notch high school in Winston-Salem.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:16 PM

42 posts, read 40,335 times
Spacey1:
Thanks for your inputs. How do ten kids commute from Reagan to career center? Do they spend entire day at one location or keep traveling between the two centers

shunketsu:
Agree that early college could be a good option to challenge him. However, we learned that the advanced classes taken at such schools may not have standardized or universally accepted credit system. This could be an issue if he decides to apply to a college outside the state. In such situation, he may not receive the credit despite he has taken an advanced class and scored well. AP classes and their scores are standardized, and all universities provide the credits. Let me know if I am missing anything?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
RadNerd, the community college system in NC is excellent and has an agreement in place with all of the UNC system colleges and several private colleges that credits in the Career and College Promise program at the Community Colleges transfer.

Read more about it here:
High School Programs - Forsyth Tech
College Transfer - Forsyth Tech
Career & College Promise | NC Community Colleges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point