U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 9,900 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends and esteemed forum members,

I have recently accepted a position at Wake Forest. I will be moving to Triad area in Jan 2018, and my family will join me next academic year. We are genetically Asian Indians, and would love to live in a diverse area. We are exploring High Point, Oak Ridge, Jamestown and Clemmons to live.

My son is a motivated student and naturally blessed with STEM abilities. He is running ahead of his class and has already completed Pre-calculus and AP Physics-1 in 9th grade (Scored 4) and his unweighted GPA was 3.93. He is planning to take at least 9 AP courses by the time he finishes his high school.

Based on his abilities and previous academic records, we are looking for an academically challenging school, where he can interact with similar students of racially diverse background. Safety and drug issues are other concerns. I have done a basic research on the schools in this area and short listed following schools (also considering my driving time to work place):

- Northwest High
- Southwest High
- Early College of Guilford
- West Forsyth High (Clemmons)

I was wondering, if you can guide us to find best and most suitable high school for him?
I want to rent accordingly in Jan 2018.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 07:38 PM

Pls rank these schools in descending order.
And also add names of other schools if we are missing anything.
Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
I doubt anyone has enough comprehensive knowledge of all the schools to accurately rank them for you, based on your criteria.

If it was me, I wouldn't commute from High Point of Greensboro, but would focus on West Forsyth and Reagan. Your son is obviously going to succeed anywhere, and its more about him than his school.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
In Forsyth County, I think the general consensus is that West Forsyth and Reagan are at the top, with Reynolds just a notch below. That said, there are a couple of other factors to consider. First are the magnet school programs. These offer focused programs at schools that might otherwise not be considered among the top. STEM, visual and performing arts, and international studies are among the programs offered, and any of these schools are worth considering.
https://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/Domain/35

Second, Forsyth County has the Career Center, a central campus that offers a wealth of advanced placement courses that students at all high schools can attend. So no matter what high school you choose, you have the option of taking these courses. This makes the choice of schools a bit less daunting.
https://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/Page/1450

Good luck in your search!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I wouldn't commute from High Point of Greensboro... focus on West Forsyth and Reagan.
^^What he said. Live near work.

Google Map

Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM

BC1960, arbyunc and MrRational:
Thank you so much for your insight and honest suggestions. Appreciate it.
Your suggestions are very practical and West Forsyth remains our option.
The option of Career School provided by arbyunc is great and appears very attractive. We will surely explore it.

Though we always had great experience with other races and many of our family friends and colleagues were either causacians or asian(non Indians) but there are many other issues on day to day basis like Indian grocery stores (more than 5 in Greensboro vs 2 in WS), community activities, interaction with culturally similar family friends, celebration of festivals etc, which play significant role in general happiness. Staying closer to Greensboro will provide my family an easy access to Asian Indian community, which is bigger in this area. I won't mind driving 15 minutes more to keep them happy and provide them daily convenience. However, we are not ruling out option of staying in WS/Clemmons and will decide only after visiting the cities in near future. I simply need to decide about the school option before we visit and weigh pros and cons. This will allow us to target a specific areas and save time and energy.

I'd still appreciate if someone with experience in high school education (teachers or parents) in this region can compare these school and provide a rough idea about their local reputation and ranking.

Last edited by RadNerd; 09-01-2017 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
If you haven't already found them, you may want to contact the Indo US Cultural Association. It's a good group of people:

Indo US Cultural Association |

Old 09-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Thanks again arbyunc

Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 PM

We just came back from a short trip to WS and Greensboro area. We completely agree with all above mentioned suggestions that we should stay in WS. We have narrowed down the areas draining Reagan and West Forsyth high schools.
- If my son studies at these schools and want to attend AP courses will he be attending all such courses at career center? Or just the courses which are not available at these schools?
- If he attends some or all AP courses at Career center then how he will commute? Does the school provide transportation?
- Communting will waste some time. May be they plan to spend all day at one school?

Pls guide and clarify.
Thanks in advance for your time and inputs.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadNerd View Post
We just came back from a short trip to WS and Greensboro area. We completely agree with all above mentioned suggestions that we should stay in WS. We have narrowed down the areas draining Reagan and West Forsyth high schools.
- If my son studies at these schools and want to attend AP courses will he be attending all such courses at career center? Or just the courses which are not available at these schools?
- If he attends some or all AP courses at Career center then how he will commute? Does the school provide transportation?
- Communting will waste some time. May be they plan to spend all day at one school?

Pls guide and clarify.
Thanks in advance for your time and inputs.
Rather than asking this of random people on the internet, my suggestion would be to contact the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School System:

https://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/Domain/10

Contact Information
Academically / Intellectually Gifted and Advanced Learning Programs
Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co. Schools
P.O. Box 2513
Winston-Salem, NC 27102-2513
(336) 748-4000
giftedprograms@wsfcs.k12.nc.us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or