U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,275,226 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's won't change anyone's life...it's alright, but most people will still choose to shop at one of the big locally based grocery chains. TJ's is more of a niche type store that most of us will opt to shop at once in a while.

It's just nice to have options though...and it kind of validates a city in a way when they get a store of this nature - kinda like when IKEA or H&M comes to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Trader Joe's won't change anyone's life...it's alright, but most people will still choose to shop at one of the big locally based grocery chains. TJ's is more of a niche type store that most of us will opt to shop at once in a while.

It's just nice to have options though...and it kind of validates a city in a way when they get a store of this nature - kinda like when IKEA or H&M comes to town.
I had an extremely hard time not having a Trader Joe's when I first moved to W-S. It actually was 100% part of my life back home!! I did 90% of my grocery shopping there and then supplemented some with Target. I have found a way around not having one, but I would be beyond happy if we got one in the Triad! Now I shop at Costco, supplement with Whole Foods and some Lowe's Full Circle brand. I think people would keep TJ's in business if they ever decided on getting here. I know a fair amount of people who drive to Charlotte for TJ's once a month.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,275,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I had an extremely hard time not having a Trader Joe's when I first moved to W-S. It actually was 100% part of my life back home!! I did 90% of my grocery shopping there and then supplemented some with Target. I have found a way around not having one, but I would be beyond happy if we got one in the Triad! Now I shop at Costco, supplement with Whole Foods and some Lowe's Full Circle brand. I think people would keep TJ's in business if they ever decided on getting here. I know a fair amount of people who drive to Charlotte for TJ's once a month.
It was just another option for me...and honestly I think it's the same way for most people who live near one. I was never overly impressed with it the way you are, but I guess that's just a difference in opinions.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM

273 posts, read 850,893 times
It definitely has a very narrow range of products, but most of those products are quality products, usually at a better price than comparable items at WF, Lowes, EarthFare, etc... It would be a nice option since there are a few items that I only buy at Trader Joes either because I just like their product better or I can't find that product anywhere else (or for double the money). I don't make special trips to Charlotte or Chapel Hill, but if I'm close by with some free time, I'll always stop and stock up.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times
Due to Trader Joes didnt want to get in zoning battle with potential customers they are pulling the request at Hobb Road and Friendly Center and all of Greensboro.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
I can't say I'm broken up about it.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,697,545 times
Me either. I thought they liked to go into existing buildings that need occupants. I guess the idea of tearing down houses in the neighborhood to build stores is scary.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times
Maybe a Walmart Express will occur instead or to keep zoning intact for a affordable housing project.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-05-2014 at 05:31 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,697,545 times
Perish the thought!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:02 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,313,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Maybe a Walmart Express will occur instead or to keep zoning intact for a affordable housing project.
Don't laugh rumor has it Wally World may be putting in a grocery trough at Quaker Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point