U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 PM

20 posts, read 70,688 times

Advertisements

Ok, my husband and I currently live in South NJ - we have been renting for five years and don't want to buy a house here because of high property taxes (actually, thats only one reason out of many).

Anyway, we decided we wanted to move to either VA
(around the Roanoke County area or the Charlotte/Prince Edward counties)
or NC (around the Rockingham/Orange/Forsyth Counties).

Can anyone compare these areas (or the states); like list the negatives of NC/VA vs. the positives.

What we are looking for:
Quiet neighborhood, low-crime (of course), good area but not too expensive to live in, scenic, friendly, near a variety of stores like Wal-Mart, or supermarkets, etc. (may add to this list when I think more about it...)

In the NJ post on City-Data, I saw the heading: Worst areas of NJ to live in.
Are there any "worst" areas that nobody would recommend moving to?

Also, what is NC state tax? And is property tax reasonable?

Last edited by bobbyandamanda03; 03-14-2008 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,710,024 times
Default Taxes

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3143724-post6.html

Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,650,701 times
hi
we just moved from NJ last year and we just bought a house in orange county. compared to NJ the property taxes are not high. but we pay "higher" taxes here in orange county--on a .17 lot, we pay $2k /yr.
as far as crime goes, i feel like i hear more about crime here than in NJ, which is wierd.
but there is no crime free place i am afraid.
i dont know much about the other counties you mentioned, and i cant commenton VA...

Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 PM

Default County Property Tax Rates

Forsyth County - 0.6960 per $100 of value.
Orange - 0.9500
Rockingham - 0.7050

If you choose to live within the corporate boundaries of a city or town, they'll be an additional property tax for those local services.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 PM

20 posts, read 70,688 times
Default Sales tax

in NJ we just have a 7% sales tax
How does it work having a state sales tax and a local sales tax
(do you just add the two together?)

Last edited by mm34b; 03-14-2008 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyandamanda03 View Post
in NJ we just have a 7% sales tax
How does it work having a state sales tax and a local sales tax
(do you just add the two together?)
Generally yes, but it depends on the specific sale item if both (state & local) sales tax will be collected. Example: Basic ingredients to bake a cake will have one tax rate, while buying a ready-made cake at a bakery or other store will have another tax rate.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,328 times
Default Forsyth County

GREAT well-kept secret!! Affordable housing, reasonable property tax, friendly people. VERY diverse community . . .safe . . .don't know if you mean NC sales tax or income tax. Compared to ANY city, Forsyth county offers good schools, friendly people, affordable property, low crime. Close to mountains for hiking, camping

Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 AM

12 posts, read 32,575 times
Ok, If you like the cold winter months and snow....The Roanoke area is just for you... if you are looking for good homes and cheap taxes but close to the bigger cities but with the slower pace...Davidson County... It is very close to Winston Salem and High Point. The school system is great and low tax rate is why so many people from High Point, Greensboro and Winston are moving there.... We just moved ourselfs out of High Point for the schools, but are only 9 miles from the shopping....So good luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,152,946 times
Default Snow in Roanoke Area

Since the area is quite mountainous snow tends to fall in the higher elevations around Roanoke, not in the valley. It is not uncommon to have
a big snowfall in Blacksburg(about 10 degress cooler year-round)and in the higher elevations, but no snow in the city/county of Roanoke. If you ever go up to Snowshoe, WV be prepared for huge snowfalls over night. Its great for skiiers but driving those mountainous roads can be quite scary!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point