U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 07:50 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,534,138 times

Advertisements

It all comes down to how much time, energy and money any long-shot city is spending on this. If it's something they're doing with existing staff as a side project, what's the harm? Extremely unlikely, but (a) you can't succeed if you don't try and (b) this can be a good exercise for organizations within these cities to identify and emphasize their city's strengths in a clear and cohesive manner. Plus, don't people around here criticize the cities for not thinking big enough?

As far as I can tell, the Triad cities haven't done much more than put up a website to solicit opinions from the wider public. That level of effort seems about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 AM

4,594 posts, read 4,410,307 times
Think of it as a dry run for other opportunities that may come our way. Its a good idea for the Triad cities to get in the habit of working together for a common goal regardless of how realistic the Amazon project is for our area. This bid also helps get oir name out there and tells our story in who we are. The Triad is not as well known on a national level as Charlotte and the Triangle. You say Piedmont Triad to someone in Des Moine, Iowa and they wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
It all comes down to how much time, energy and money any long-shot city is spending on this. If it's something they're doing with existing staff as a side project, what's the harm? Extremely unlikely, but (a) you can't succeed if you don't try and (b) this can be a good exercise for organizations within these cities to identify and emphasize their city's strengths in a clear and cohesive manner. Plus, don't people around here criticize the cities for not thinking big enough?

As far as I can tell, the Triad cities haven't done much more than put up a website to solicit opinions from the wider public. That level of effort seems about right.
I agree. Just because Greensboro is putting in a bid for HQ2 doesn't mean the city has taken its eye off the ball when it comes to other eco-devo deals it actually has a realistic shot at landing.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 PM

421 posts, read 294,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree. Just because Greensboro is putting in a bid for HQ2 doesn't mean the city has taken its eye off the ball when it comes to other eco-devo deals it actually has a realistic shot at landing.
Right, but that time is likely better spent with those deals we have a realistic shot with.

Heck, apparently NJ is putting together a package to offer up to $10K per job created. That works out to potentially $5 billion. This is exactly what Amazon was looking for... an insane offer of incentives. NJ being right between Philly and NYC is also quite advantageous. I think Newark and Jersey City are very intriguing possibilities.

Amazon HQ2: Chris Christie offers tax incentives for new headquarters - Business Insider

As I've mentioned before, I would assume that the real purpose of the pitch isn't to seriously contend for HQ2. Instead, it's to get our name out there to Amazon for other smaller scale projects. I also could see the merit in it being a project and opportunity to use it as a developmental exercise internally.

But throwing the Triad name into the Amazon hat doesn't do anything to get the Triad name out there publicly. Especially when just about every city (or at least MSA) in the country has thrown its hat into the ring.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Right, but that time is likely better spent with those deals we have a realistic shot with.
I don't think it's necessarily a zero sum game, but we can agree to disagree.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,236,039 times
I liken this to a person who puts in his or her resume or goes on job interviews for positions that might be out of his/her reach, but it's a form of staying current and comfortable with the process. You may not get the job, but you're able to brush up on your resume and job interview skills.

I also think of it like this. I can realistically get any entry level IT job that is posted out there with my years of experience, but why would I continue to look for entry level positions? I want to better myself and continue to expand my career and move up in both promotion and pay. That's how I see this move by Greensboro. It's brushing up on skills and learning something from this situation as to what a successful area does to actually land something like Amazon.

Or, we can always go with the sports analogy. Teams during exhibition season often will schedule to play with teams that are much, much, better than them to measure how much they have improved. Maybe this is a way to measure where Greensboro truly is at on the scale of being attractive to land some of the best companies in the world. It's probably a long, long, ways down the list, but I think it does give the area some confidence to know where they stand and where they might be able to reach high enough to grab some very attractive companies that the area might need to put a little work into to get them to come. We can put up McDonald's and Cookouts all day long, but what really puts your area on the map is something that employees a great deal of people and provides high wages.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I liken this to a person who puts in his or her resume or goes on job interviews for positions that might be out of his/her reach, but it's a form of staying current and comfortable with the process. You may not get the job, but you're able to brush up on your resume and job interview skills.
I think of it more a someone who has a high school degree applying to be CEO of Amazon. There's no chance of landing the job, or even getting an interview so Its a waste of time.

Quote:
Or, we can always go with the sports analogy. Teams during exhibition season often will schedule to play with teams that are much, much, better than them to measure how much they have improved. Maybe this is a way to measure where Greensboro truly is at on the scale of being attractive to land some of the best companies in the world. It's probably a long, long, ways down the list, but I think it does give the area some confidence to know where they stand and where they might be able to reach high enough to grab some very attractive companies that the area might need to put a little work into to get them to come. We can put up McDonald's and Cookouts all day long, but what really puts your area on the map is something that employees a great deal of people and provides high wages.
G'boro already has some of the best companies in the world...Honda Jets, Fedex, Qorvo, VF, Lincoln Financial, Volvo Trucks, etc., etc. And there are plenty of economic development opportunities we can pursue that we actually have a chance of landing, instead of wasting time with those we don't.

G'boro's economy isn't based on fast food. There are lots of quality jobs here. Obviously we need more, but we need to be smart and focused about going after them.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM

421 posts, read 294,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

G'boro's economy isn't based on fast food. There are lots of quality jobs here. Obviously we need more, but we need to be smart and focused about going after them.
Exactly. We have that Toyota/Mazda project out there that has a chance to bring thousands of very solid jobs to the area and we actually can realistically land it. Focus on that. I'm sure there are some very good companies out there that are looking for a place to locate a few hundred (or thousand) workers with solid pay. Look for those and try to lure those.

To use a sports analogy, Greensboro pursuing Amazon would be like the Atlantic League team trying to locate to High Point next year trying to pursue Manny Machado (one of the best players in Major League Baseball).

Old 10-12-2017, 12:09 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,236,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think of it more a someone who has a high school degree applying to be CEO of Amazon. There's no chance of landing the job, or even getting an interview so Its a waste of time.

G'boro already has some of the best companies in the world...Honda Jets, Fedex, Qorvo, VF, Lincoln Financial, Volvo Trucks, etc., etc. And there are plenty of economic development opportunities we can pursue that we actually have a chance of landing, instead of wasting time with those we don't.

Your post is a contradiction. On one hand, you compare Greensboro to a high school graduate trying to apply for a CEO position, and then you talk about G'boro having some of the best companies in the world. Which is it? Is G'boro only able to have the best companies in the world if it supports your argument? Otherwise, it's an equivalent to a high school graduate?

I never implied that G'boro's economy is based on fast food. I implied that an area only focusing in on the easy, low hanging fruit, won't provide that much of an economic boost. That's a general statement and that's pretty much fact from my experiences living in other areas.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,450,910 times
Quote:
Your post is a contradiction. On one hand, you compare Greensboro to a high school graduate trying to apply for a CEO position, and then you talk about G'boro having some of the best companies in the world. Which is it? Is G'boro only able to have the best companies in the world if it supports your argument? Otherwise, it's an equivalent to a high school graduate?

I never implied that G'boro's economy is based on fast food. I implied that an area only focusing in on the easy, low hanging fruit, won't provide that much of an economic boost. That's a general statement and that's pretty much fact from my experiences living in other areas.
No contradiction at all. Amazon is simply looking for something that G'boro doesn't have. Read the RFP and you'll understand. G'boro can be a fit some some projects and not for others, its that simple. The Toytota/Mazda project is a great example of a project that is a perfect fit for G'boro.

Who says G'boro is only focusing on low hanging fruit? I've never suggested any such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or