U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-13-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
943 posts, read 505,165 times
Reputation: 375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The problem with Raleigh is that they fail the "mass transit" test, one of the things that has been said about Greensboro. Charlotte does have a light rail system and there are plans for expansion. Charlotte also has a much larger dense population. I see why some say Raleigh is the best option, because its a tech research region
It'll just depend on which parts of the RFP mean the most to Amazon right away. But i think its safe to say being a major tech hotspot with access to a talent pool from three notable universities probably holds more weight then Charlotte's larger population.

The Washington Post stated that Amazon would like a city that can grow with them.
So as far as mass transit goes, there are already approved plans in place for bolstering that in Wake, Durham and Orange county. Light Rail will connect Durham and Chapel Hill. And then Wake counties getting a*$2.3 billion transit plan*that includes more frequent bus service, four bus rapid transit lines and commuter rail connecting Garner, Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville and RTP by 2027. Thats pretty substantial.

Amazon is saying that by maybe 10-15 years it will have brought all 40-50k jobs. That will line up pretty well with the big improvements to transit. If everything else checks Amazons boxes, which for Ralegh/RTP it does, transit might not be as big of an issue because the transit in place would probably hold before amazons presence grows to the size it where it absolutely needs it. Likely too i could see if the area won the bid, that might encourage even speedier plans to expand more on things like light rail. Who knows. Maybe amazon would be cool with that maybe not. None of us knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
It'll just depend on which parts of the RFP mean the most to Amazon right away. But i think its safe to say being a major tech hotspot with access to a talent pool from three notable universities probably holds more weight then Charlotte's larger population.

The Washington Post stated that Amazon would like a city that can grow with them.
So as far as mass transit goes, there are already approved plans in place for bolstering that in Wake, Durham and Orange county. Light Rail will connect Durham and Chapel Hill. And then Wake counties getting a*$2.3 billion transit plan*that includes more frequent bus service, four bus rapid transit lines and commuter rail connecting Garner, Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville and RTP by 2027. Thats pretty substantial
Just to be clear, that plan is nowhere near fully funded, and in fact, the General Assembly has passed legislation limiting the state's investment in any light or commuter rail project at $500,000, which effectively kills it.

And speaking of our friends in the General Assembly, there is absolutely no way they are going to pony up the billions of dollars needed to incentivize the HQ2 project. NC is a non-starter for that reason alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Amazon is saying that by maybe 10-15 years it will have brought all 40-50k jobs. That will line up pretty well with the big improvements to transit. If everything else checks Amazons boxes, which for Ralegh/RTP it does, transit might not be as big of an issue because the transit in place would probably hold before amazons presence grows to the size it where it absolutely needs it. Likely too i could see if the area won the bid, that might encourage even speedier plans to expand more on things like light rail. Who knows. Maybe amazon would be cool with that maybe not. None of us knows.
Amazon is not going to pick a city based on the hope that the needed infrastructure might be built at some point in the future. There are too many viable locations that already have everything in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
Reputation: 1488
Incentives is a big problem. Even if Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro had all the requirments, NC just doesn't want to pony up enough funds for any incentives. Its why we are the only state in the south without an automobile plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2017, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
943 posts, read 505,165 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Just to be clear, that plan is nowhere near fully funded, and in fact, the General Assembly has passed legislation limiting the state's investment in any light or commuter rail project at $500,000, which effectively kills it.

And speaking of our friends in the General Assembly, there is absolutely no way they are going to pony up the billions of dollars needed to incentivize the HQ2 project. NC is a non-starter for that reason alone.



Amazon is not going to pick a city based on the hope that the needed infrastructure might be built at some point in the future. There are too many viable locations that already have everything in place.
I get it man you are a serious downer on this stuff. I for one am not saying anywhere in NC has a real serious chance BUT i am just highlighting some reasons why its also ridiculous to act like Raleigh/RTP is some complete pipe dream. I would be careful about saying things as if you are the Amazon CEO himself. We all speculate on here about what we think but nobody knows for sure. Greensboro chances are one thing because of how out there the chances are but i wouldnt say the same about cities that meet almost all of the requirements. We dont have the insider info on which parts of the rfp Amazon values the most.

Yeah okay maybe all the future transportation stuff isnt for sure just yet but its not in some place to just dismiss it. And unless you are a part of the GA i wouldnt claim you know anything about what they will or wont pony up for incentives OR if thats going to be one of the biggest reasons for amazons pick. New Jersey might have put up the biggest incentives Amazon is going to get offered, but will Amazon choose them?? We'll have to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2017, 07:19 PM
 
421 posts, read 293,762 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I get it man you are a serious downer on this stuff. I for one am not saying anywhere in NC has a real serious chance BUT i am just highlighting some reasons why its also ridiculous to act like Raleigh/RTP is some complete pipe dream. I would be careful about saying things as if you are the Amazon CEO himself. We all speculate on here about what we think but nobody knows for sure. Greensboro chances are one thing because of how out there the chances are but i wouldnt say the same about cities that meet almost all of the requirements. We dont have the insider info on which parts of the rfp Amazon values the most.

Yeah okay maybe all the future transportation stuff isnt for sure just yet but its not in some place to just dismiss it. And unless you are a part of the GA i wouldnt claim you know anything about what they will or wont pony up for incentives OR if thats going to be one of the biggest reasons for amazons pick. New Jersey might have put up the biggest incentives Amazon is going to get offered, but will Amazon choose them?? We'll have to see.
Short of NC offering an incentive package WELL over what they realistically might, there is no way. In fact, the likelihood is that Amazon probably has it narrowed down to a few locations already (despite what they say... because why limit the competitors in this race and thus their leverage?).

And in response to the whole "it won't look like we're serious about job growth if we don't pursue this project like everyone else".... NO. As a matter of fact, it shows that we ARE serious about sustainable and REALISTIC job growth. It could also show those who were are pursuing that we are indeed serious about THEIR company. Like the baseball example I listed earlier, would the High Point baseball team not be committed to being their very best just because they don't pursue Manny Machado (or insert any other MLB star here)? No, because they don't have a shot in hell of landing an MLB player. Instead of chasing pipe dreams, they can actually better demonstrate commitment by vigorously pursuing the very best of those they have a realistic chance with and letting the shiny red balls bounce on by for other cities to get distracted by (while we focus our energy on pursuing and increasing our odds of landing the realistic ones).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
943 posts, read 505,165 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Short of NC offering an incentive package WELL over what they realistically might, there is no way. In fact, the likelihood is that Amazon probably has it narrowed down to a few locations already (despite what they say... because why limit the competitors in this race and thus their leverage?).

And in response to the whole "it won't look like we're serious about job growth if we don't pursue this project like everyone else".... NO. As a matter of fact, it shows that we ARE serious about sustainable and REALISTIC job growth. It could also show those who were are pursuing that we are indeed serious about THEIR company. Like the baseball example I listed earlier, would the High Point baseball team not be committed to being their very best just because they don't pursue Manny Machado (or insert any other MLB star here)? No, because they don't have a shot in hell of landing an MLB player. Instead of chasing pipe dreams, they can actually better demonstrate commitment by vigorously pursuing the very best of those they have a realistic chance with and letting the shiny red balls bounce on by for other cities to get distracted by (while we focus our energy on pursuing and increasing our odds of landing the realistic ones).
Yeah i definitely agree with that. Amazon isnt dumb they probably knew a long time ago which cities fit the bill the best and they're just waiting for the best deal out of those cities. But again, we dont know which cities that might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 PM
 
421 posts, read 293,762 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah i definitely agree with that. Amazon isnt dumb they probably knew a long time ago which cities fit the bill the best and they're just waiting for the best deal out of those cities. But again, we dont know which cities that might be.
Very true. But suffice to say that Greensboro is not on that list, especially given the criteria that they have publicly spelled out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I get it man you are a serious downer on this stuff.
No, I just have some knowledge and a realistic attitude about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I for one am not saying anywhere in NC has a real serious chance...
Thats good, because we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah okay maybe all the future transportation stuff isnt for sure just yet but its not in some place to just dismiss it. And unless you are a part of the GA i wouldnt claim you know anything about what they will or wont pony up for incentives OR if thats going to be one of the biggest reasons for amazons pick.
You're obviously young, naive and completely unaware of both the General Assembly and recent economic development history in NC. I suggest you do some research and you'll quickly come to the conclusion that NC will not put together a competitive incentive package. And a very large incentive package will be part of the deal for HQ2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
943 posts, read 505,165 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
No, I just have some knowledge and a realistic attitude about it.



Thats good, because we don't.



You're obviously young, naive and completely unaware of both the General Assembly and recent economic development history in NC. I suggest you do some research and you'll quickly come to the conclusion that NC will not put together a competitive incentive package. And a very large incentive package will be part of the deal for HQ2.
Class act you are huh bud? Sounds like what they say is true, with old age comes bitterness. Im sorry i take that back i wont assume your age, like you did mine. Clearly im wrong anyways. With the way you strut the forum with such conviction in your opinions, surely you grew up in the "im always right" generation.

Now with that being said, are you right about most of what you said? Yeah, duh. You can be very uneducated in how these things work and still come to a pretty obvious conclusion that likely NC will not be picked. Again, i agreed with that.

But... you're a "nobody" just like me and most everybody on this forum. You arent head honcho Jeff Bezos which is probably about the only person deserving of going around snarkily replying to everyone's speculation posts. But something tells me he wouldnt because fortunately he has better stuff to do.

Its all good though. I was even too critical of this Greensboro amazon thread earlier. But now with pretty much every city in America throwing in a bid its become more amusing then anything. Let the people talk, who cares really. Thats what the forum is for. Its clear when people know if theyre city has an actual chance or not. And for the people in cities that meet most of the rfp, let them speculate even more (i.e Raleigh). At the end of the day literally no one knows where Amazon is going and which qualifiers will mean the most to them over others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 AM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Class act you are huh bud? Sounds like what they say is true, with old age comes bitterness. Im sorry i take that back i wont assume your age, like you did mine. Clearly im wrong anyways. With the way you strut the forum with such conviction in your opinions, surely you grew up in the "im always right" generation.

Now with that being said, are you right about most of what you said? Yeah, duh. You can be very uneducated in how these things work and still come to a pretty obvious conclusion that likely NC will not be picked. Again, i agreed with that.

But... you're a "nobody" just like me and most everybody on this forum. You arent head honcho Jeff Bezos which is probably about the only person deserving of going around snarkily replying to everyone's speculation posts. But something tells me he wouldnt because fortunately he has better stuff to do.

Its all good though. I was even too critical of this Greensboro amazon thread earlier. But now with pretty much every city in America throwing in a bid its become more amusing then anything. Let the people talk, who cares really. Thats what the forum is for. Its clear when people know if theyre city has an actual chance or not. And for the people in cities that meet most of the rfp, let them speculate even more (i.e Raleigh). At the end of the day literally no one knows where Amazon is going and which qualifiers will mean the most to them over others.
Oh no, somebody got their feelings hurt on the internet. Poor baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top