U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM

558 posts, read 312,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
And the airline would add flights as needed. Its all based on the business climate and tourism in a city.
Yes, and when I was young I used to believe in the fairy godmother and that money grew on trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM

4,599 posts, read 4,418,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Yes, and when I was young I used to believe in the fairy godmother and that money grew on trees.
While I dont think any NC city will get Amazon, CNBC did cite Greensboro/High Point for a reason and I'm sure they are well aware of its infrastructure, airport and demographics. They aren't just playing a game of ini mini miny moe.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:06 PM

945 posts, read 509,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I think that someone is just overly excited to see their city mentioned anywhere, even if is a completely bogus analysis making unrealistic assumptions.
This. The article is a joke. Even besides the NC part, its a complete joke. To my knowledge this is the first time Greensboro/Triad has been mentioned nationally in any type of theoritical list of places Amazon might go. This ranking was more a list of qualified states and even that they flubbed up. Greensboro was just mentioned because they rated NC as #1 and were just were naming all the areas of NC that put in bids basically. To the ridiculous level of naming Hickory as a long shot. Hickory isnt a long shot its a no shot.

The pulling talent argument holds zero weight. Wherever Amazon decides to go they will be pulling talent from around the country. But they would like to go some where that already has a strong talent pool in its backyard. Greensboro being an hour and a half from the states biggest talent pool isnt an advantage when where that talent pool is located already fits Amazon's needs better lol. Or in Charlotte's case a lot of the other benefits to the bigger city far out weigh whatever Greensboro can offer.

On top of that, Amazon wants another attractive city in which people will want to move. No hate to Greensboro or the Triad in general but im sorry they dont really fit that bill either. They arent currently on peoples radar for moving to in this job field and im not sure theres a way to market the area as highly desirable. (Sounds like major hate but i dont mean it that harshly)

Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 PM

I think the whole point of the article is that it would take all three metros combined to truly support Amazon. It makes sense if they go the regional approach and in that case a more central location makes sense. We assume Amazon is looking for a Seattle clone in terms of cultural offerings and big city life. We know what they want in terms of on paper requirments but thats it.
They may want a location entirely different. Individually, none of the three metros are the first pickings im my opinion though. If Charlotte ranks 10 on the list and Greensboro ranks 50, Charlotte might as well rank 50 as well. I just dont think NC is going to get it.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-21-2017 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 06:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,025,466 times
Shouldn't we just focusing on toyota? I'm surprised this thread has not been closed..

Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Shouldn't we just focusing on toyota? I'm surprised this thread has not been closed..
I don't think nc will get it, but what if Amazon shocked us all. Even though its not likely, technically is possible. If anything im glad Greensboro made somebody's list. At least it gets our name out there to other companies looking to relocate.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
This. The article is a joke. Even besides the NC part, its a complete joke. To my knowledge this is the first time Greensboro/Triad has been mentioned nationally in any type of theoritical list of places Amazon might go. This ranking was more a list of qualified states and even that they flubbed up. Greensboro was just mentioned because they rated NC as #1 and were just were naming all the areas of NC that put in bids basically. To the ridiculous level of naming Hickory as a long shot. Hickory isnt a long shot its a no shot.

The pulling talent argument holds zero weight. Wherever Amazon decides to go they will be pulling talent from around the country. But they would like to go some where that already has a strong talent pool in its backyard. Greensboro being an hour and a half from the states biggest talent pool isnt an advantage when where that talent pool is located already fits Amazon's needs better lol. Or in Charlotte's case a lot of the other benefits to the bigger city far out weigh whatever Greensboro can offer.

On top of that, Amazon wants another attractive city in which people will want to move. No hate to Greensboro or the Triad in general but im sorry they dont really fit that bill either. They arent currently on peoples radar for moving to in this job field and im not sure theres a way to market the area as highly desirable. (Sounds like major hate but i dont mean it that harshly)
I agree with you totally. I've tried to refrain from being blunt about it, but you make good points.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think nc will get it, but what if Amazon shocked us all. Even though its not likely, technically is possible. If anything im glad Greensboro made somebody's list. At least it gets our name out there to other companies looking to relocate.
It's very interesting how when Raleigh appeared solo on several other lists you had a totally different reaction and "pretended" to not understand why.

Now that you see Greensboro on a list (for whatever reason), it's all roses and in your mind gives Greensboro legitimacy as a HQ2 contender and you're pushing all of these hypotheticals. Not that anyone takes what you post seriously anyway.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 11-21-2017 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 PM

421 posts, read 295,385 times
Quote:
This list doesn't do anything other than allow a few people to pat themselves on the back.

The Triad isn't going to get HQ2. Period. I glanced the article over earlier and the best I can figure, they may be discussing splitting HQ2 up between the three metros. I don't see how that makes any strategic sense. At the end of the day, they're going to want the vast majority of their folks in one city.

Best case, I could envision a situation where Charlotte or Raleigh get the primary HQ2 while the other city gets a satellite campus... and then Greensboro maybe gets some kind of satellite campus as well and a few hundred employees. Even that is an extremely long shot though.

The focus needs to be on Toyota-Mazda. And frankly at this point, I think it is. If Amazon shocks them with serious consideration down the road, we can cross that bridge then. Similarly, if the Baltimore Orioles shock me with a 10 year $300 million offer to pitch, I'd cross that bridge too.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 PM

239 posts, read 213,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post

Is charlotte ncs biggest talent pool? Raliegh Durham would have a lot to say about that. Also Greensboro isn't a hour and a half from Charlotte but I'm being petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or