U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 PM

239 posts, read 213,124 times

Advertisements

But can we close this thread for real? the idea of amazon coming to Greensboro or any other Nc city is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 PM

421 posts, read 293,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
But can we close this thread for real? the idea of amazon coming to Greensboro or any other Nc city is silly.
Greensboro? Yes silly.
Raleigh and Charlotte? They're longshots, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's silly. At the very least, they meet the requirements. Greensboro barely hits it on population (but you have to look at the Triad as a whole) but doesn't meet for airport or mass transit.

Actually, Raleigh doesn't meet for mass transit either, but I think they have a few things in the works on this at least.

Raleigh and Charlotte would be like buying the Pick 4 lottery and hoping to win. You can dream... and it's not THAT far fetched that you might just win. Greensboro would be like buying tickets for the PowerBall and Mega Millions and dreaming about what would happen if you won both. The odds are effectively zero.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Is charlotte ncs biggest talent pool? Raliegh Durham would have a lot to say about that. Also Greensboro isn't a hour and a half from Charlotte but I'm being petty.
Actually, yes it is. Per GoogleMaps, downtown Greensboro to Uptown Charlotte is 1 hour and 29 minutes.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:20 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,398,216 times
Bob Leak from Winston-Salem put it well. He said we don't need a MARTA system like Atlanta because with the Triad's great highway system its easy to get around and if you think about it thats true. Again if anything just Greensboro being mentioned on a list gives our area some credibility when competing for other projects so I think we need to be more positive about the ranking and less negative about it because it does have value. Maybe not for Amazon but other companies may take notice. While in this case I don't think NC will get Amazon, we have to be careful in saying its rediculous for NC or certain cities in the state to get company Z. Some outside the state still scratch their heads as to why Bank of America is in Charlotte and wonders why its not in New York. What is a big city? Its all relative. I have heard someone from Houston say Charlotte is a small city and from their perspective it is. I have heard a person from Lexington, NC call Greensboro "the big city". There are people in much larger cities around the country that would say any city in NC is silly for Amazon H2. But again, NC cities have accomplished things that you would expect to see happen in much bigger cities.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-21-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Actually, yes it is. Per GoogleMaps, downtown Greensboro to Uptown Charlotte is 1 hour and 29 minutes.
If you live in Greensboro and have made the drive you know Charlotte is not a hour and a half. It's 90 miles downtown Greensboro to downtown Charlotte and the speed limit is 70 all the way so most people go 75-80 which makes it a hour and 10mins, but hey who cares like I said no city in nc is getting Amazon so let's move on.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 PM

And it is silly to think amazon would pick any city in nc over big cities, But hey we all can dream. Y

Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 PM

I dont know if Amazon is picking which is the bigger city. As long as the area meets their requirments. Technically speaking with exception to mass transit, all three of NC' metro meet them. They will look at demographics, education of the labor pool and so forth. They probably wont say they'll pick city A over city B just because its bigger. The problem with NC cities is that they barely cross the threshold in what Amazon requires for its second headquarters. That makes them weak candidates, not so much their population in comparison to other cities.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:24 PM

552 posts, read 309,560 times
Quote:
You're right, this thread needs to cease to exist. It's fueling insanity.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You're right, this thread needs to cease to exist. It's fueling insanity.
All because a major network put Greensboro on the list ? it would be funny if the city actually got it because Id be quoting some comments about how insane Greensboro's bid is. I think the negative overreaction is more insane than Greensboro being put on one network's list. Me and you both actually agree that NC isn't a likely option. So what if Greensboro is on a list. It's not going to affect the outcome one way or the other. No need to make a big deal about it. It's on a list like many other cities who won't be getting Amazon including Charlotte and Raleigh. Greensboro is a long shot, Hickory is insanity. Greensboro is not on par with Charlotte or Raleigh but you are making Greensboro seem like it's some podunk town. Long shot yes...outrageous....no. In fact Charlotte's chances are really no better than Greensboro's so why dont we just shut down all threads including Charlotte and Raleigh threads in regards to NC and Amazon? The reality is a major northeastern city will get the second Amazon headquarters. But Greensboro and other cities were mentioned which is open for discussion regardless of whether people think its insane or not.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-21-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
If you live in Greensboro and have made the drive you know Charlotte is not a hour and a half. It's 90 miles downtown Greensboro to downtown Charlotte and the speed limit is 70 all the way so most people go 75-80 which makes it a hour and 10mins, but hey who cares like I said no city in nc is getting Amazon so let's move on.
I live a few miles south of Greensboro and it's about 1:15 from my house to uptown Charlotte. But at the end of the day, we're splitting hairs over 10-15 minutes max. Whether 90 minutes or 75 minutes, the point stands.

But yeah, this thread needs to die. It's absolutely stupid. I have a better chance of winning a gold medal in the Olympics tomorrow than Greensboro does of landing Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or