U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
944 posts, read 506,107 times
Reputation: 375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
Is charlotte ncs biggest talent pool? Raliegh Durham would have a lot to say about that. Also Greensboro isn't a hour and a half from Charlotte but I'm being petty.
No i was referring to the Triangle as NCs largest talent pool. And Greensboro being roughly 1hr 30mins from both Raleigh and Charlotte.


Which actually highlights the flaw in the "Greensboro is in the middle so it can pull talent from both" argument. That is not a realistic commute im sorry. I work all over the state and have done that drive many times through rush hour traffic both morning and night. Getting in and out of Gboro is mostly always a non issue but the traffic bottle knecks in a lot of areas around Raleigh. Basically anywhere from RTP to northern Johnston county and other areas around the beltline like North Hills and Glenwood/Crabtree area. And i know Charlotte's even worse. No white collar Amazonian is going to live in one of the more "desirable" cities and then drive and 1hr 30mins to Greensboro. Oh wait, that commute would NEVER be even close to that time. An 8hr day would almost always turn into a 12+ easily because of traffic. A 12 into a 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2017, 07:28 AM
 
216 posts, read 158,450 times
Reputation: 136
I hope they put HQ2 on the freaking moon so all you jerks will shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
 
553 posts, read 310,586 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post

But yeah, this thread needs to die. It's absolutely stupid. I have a better chance of winning a gold medal in the Olympics tomorrow than Greensboro does of landing Amazon.
I have a better chance of taking a flight to Mars on American Airlines than cityboi's Greensboro does of winning Amazon HQ2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 12:46 PM
 
2,648 posts, read 6,088,893 times
Reputation: 3421
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I have a better chance of taking a flight to Mars on American Airlines than cityboi's Greensboro does of winning Amazon HQ2.

Well you never know, Mars flights may be possible one day soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 03:47 PM
 
239 posts, read 213,468 times
Reputation: 55
Yea I agree it's no chance Nc will get it at all. But yet we still are talking about it smh. Can somebody delete this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,586 posts, read 4,405,123 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I have a better chance of taking a flight to Mars on American Airlines than cityboi's Greensboro does of winning Amazon HQ2.
And there is a better chance of an Alien Invasion on the White House lawn than any city in NC landing Amazon including Charlotte and Raleigh.

Sorry but Charlotte's gleaming skyline and NFL and NBA isnt enough to Attract Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 AM
 
553 posts, read 310,586 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
And there is a better chance of an Alien Invasion on the White House lawn than any city in NC landing Amazon including Charlotte and Raleigh.

Sorry but Charlotte's gleaming skyline and NFL and NBA isnt enough to Attract Amazon.
Some would argue that this has already happened. LOL

Seriously, why do you always make everything about Charlotte and/or Raleigh anytime someone points out something about Greensboro? You may need to take some of your own advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,586 posts, read 4,405,123 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Some would argue that this has already happened. LOL

Seriously, why do you always make everything about Charlotte and/or Raleigh anytime someone points out something about Greensboro? You may need to take some of your own advice.
Its because of the negative overreaction towards Greensboro but at the same time it's made out like Charlotte has a shot when on reality its neither. We all know Greensboro is no Charlotte or Raleigh but it's not a one stop light town either. Charlotte and Raleigh are fast growing communities but both still have a long ways to go before they become true sophisticated urban metropolises. Just because they are much further along economically than Greensboro that doesnt mean they have a good shot at getting Amazon. It seems like there always seem to be a negative attack on Greensboro. One poster who posted on another forum kept posting about a fantasy proposed 34 story tower in Winston-Salem which turned out not to be real at all and this overzealous poster who always seens to boast Winston-Salem as being on the same level as Charlotte and gets excited and does cart wheels over tower cranes building 5 story buildings, went on saying Amazon H2 might be the tenant. As rediculous as that sounds, nobody slammed his post for that yet Greensboro is on one network's list and then the Gate City gets slammed for it. "Its insane" "its crazy" This is what Im taking about. I know Greensboro is not on Amazon's radar but the overreaction attitudes and sarcasm are uncalled for.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-23-2017 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,813 posts, read 3,309,706 times
Reputation: 2699
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Its because of the negative overreaction towards Greensboro but at the same time it's made out like Charlotte has a shot when on reality its neither. We all know Greensboro is no Charlotte or Raleigh but it's not a one stop light town either. Charlotte and Raleigh are fast growing communities but both still have a long ways to go before they become true sophisticated urban metropolises. Just because they are much further along economically than Greensboro that doesnt mean they have a good shot at getting Amazon. It seems like there always seem to be a negative attack on Greensboro. One poster who posted on another forum kept posting about a fantasy proposed 34 story tower in Winston-Salem which turned out not to be real at all and this overzealous poster who always seens to boast Winston-Salem as being on the same level as Charlotte and gets excited and does cart wheels over tower cranes building 5 story buildings, went on saying Amazon H2 might be the tenant. As rediculous as that sounds, nobody slammed his post for that yet Greensboro is on one network's list and then the Gate City gets slammed for it. "Its insane" "its crazy" This is what Im taking about. I know Greensboro is not on Amazon's radar but the overreaction attitudes and sarcasm are uncalled for.


I get your annoyance with such negativity about Greensboro. It is borderline hysterical.

I think, as one poster said, Raleigh & Charlotte are the long shots and Greensboro is pretty much no shot. And I don’t think Raleigh nor Charlotte has a long way to being sophisticated urban metropolises. I read by 2040, Raleigh Metro is supposed to be 2.5 Million excluding durham....Charlotte will hit 3.6 Million in 2040. Raleigh and Charlotte will have 6 Million people combined. Which is over half of the entire state population of NC today. Greensboro will have less than 900K by 2040, Winston is 702k. The gap between Raleigh/Charlotte vs. the Triad is just growing further as each decade passes.

Metro populations of 3 Million is a respectable mid sized city. Boston, the 10th largest metro is 4.5 Million and the size of San Diego is around 3.3 million.

But back on topic. Some people are being cynically anti-Greensboro

Last edited by Charlotte485; 11-23-2017 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2017, 12:26 PM
 
239 posts, read 213,468 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Its because of the negative overreaction towards Greensboro but at the same time it's made out like Charlotte has a shot when on reality its neither. We all know Greensboro is no Charlotte or Raleigh but it's not a one stop light town either. Charlotte and Raleigh are fast growing communities but both still have a long ways to go before they become true sophisticated urban metropolises. Just because they are much further along economically than Greensboro that doesnt mean they have a good shot at getting Amazon. It seems like there always seem to be a negative attack on Greensboro. One poster who posted on another forum kept posting about a fantasy proposed 34 story tower in Winston-Salem which turned out not to be real at all and this overzealous poster who always seens to boast Winston-Salem as being on the same level as Charlotte and gets excited and does cart wheels over tower cranes building 5 story buildings, went on saying Amazon H2 might be the tenant. As rediculous as that sounds, nobody slammed his post for that yet Greensboro is on one network's list and then the Gate City gets slammed for it. "Its insane" "its crazy" This is what Im taking about. I know Greensboro is not on Amazon's radar but the overreaction attitudes and sarcasm are uncalled for.
I agree with you no city in nc has a shot at all. No city in nc is really considered a big city, people want to put Greensboro down for being a smaller city when really raliegh and Charlotte are smaller cities also compared to a lot of other cities. Who cares about 2040 smh that's 23 yrs away are we really talking about how big a city is gonna be in 23yrs?! Smh. I thought we were talking about now and the fact that no nc city in nc is getting amazon sorry. I just hope a big city like D.C. Or Atlanta gets it so atleast it's close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top