Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:06 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
And I think its hilarious that some people are so petty and insecure they assign nefarious intentions to slight misspellings of a city's name, lol. I mean really?
It was just an observation i was curious about. Plus the auto correct thing is funny because thats not how auto correct works. Any new smartphone knows named locations and wouldnt spell it wrong repeatedly. Plus he admitted to not caring about Raleigh enough to change it. I mean is it that much of a reach? Not that it mattered enough to have to explain all that but oh well. Sorry it ruffled your feathers that i noticed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:11 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
It was just an observation i was curious about. Plus the auto correct thing is funny because thats not how auto correct works. Any new smartphone knows named locations and wouldnt spell it wrong repeatedly. Plus he admitted to not caring about Raleigh enough to change it. I mean is it that much of a reach? Not that it mattered enough to have to explain all that but oh well. Sorry it ruffled your feathers that i noticed that.
Didn't ruffle my feathers, just got a good laugh, so no harm done. It seemed to get you mighty worked up though...I mean really, Raleigh, Raliegh, Rawlee?

Old 11-27-2017, 12:16 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Didn't ruffle my feathers, just got a good laugh, so no harm done. It seemed to get you mighty worked up though...I mean really, Raleigh, Raliegh, Rawlee?
Im the one worked up yet you interjected on something not directed towards you? Hmmmmm lol...but yeah anyways it doesnt matter.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Im the one worked up yet you interjected on something not directed towards you? Hmmmmm lol...but yeah anyways it doesnt matter.
Yeah, you're still cool, don't worry about it!

Last edited by BC1960; 11-27-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:

Really? I guess someone forgot to tell the CEO...

"Why did Boeing decide to move?

About a year ago, Phil Condit, our chairman and CEO, started conversations with his strategy council and other executive leaders about Boeing’s long-term strategic growth plans. In the course of those conversations, it became apparent that our headquarters needed to be in a neutral location, one not directly associated with one of the major units of the company.

Since Boeing was founded in Seattle, and our commercial airplane unit is headquartered there, many people think of Boeing as only a Seattle commercial airplane company. But in fact, we’re a much larger entity. The company includes McDonnell jet fighters, Douglas commercial aircraft, Hughes helicopters, Hughes Space, North American Aerospace, and many others. So part of our strategic plans called for a headquarters separate from existing businesses and focused on developing global growth opportunities."

https://hbr.org/2001/10/inside-boeings-big-move

Companies can access capital markets and lobby legislators from the west coast without any problem. if that weren't the case, Amazon would be moving its entire headquarters, as would every other large company west of the Mississippi. If anything, today's technology makes it easier to do business from a distance.
As always you seem to have the inside scoop that none of the rest of us has. The above may very well be their main reasoning for seeking a new HQ location, but large companies rarely decide to move their entire HQ solely on one reason alone. A lot of other things need to be factors and/or additional benefits gained in order for a large public company to justify such a huge decision to their board, shareholders, customers, and their communities. I have a very hard time believing that Boeing decided to move simply to be in a neutral location. As a former member of a board, that rationale alone would never convince any board to approve such a decision. There had to be other compelling reasons that weren't publicly stated. Even the statement above alludes to the fact that other reasons existed (i.e. part of our strategic plans). Usually cost savings of some sort is a primary or secondary factor. The need to be closer to a certain region or market, for whatever reason, has also been a major contributing factor in many similar moves.

As far as Amazon is concerned, none of us will ever know all of the reasons why they chose to build a 2nd HQ. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we do. All that we know with any level of certainty are their stated requirements for selecting a new location, which they made public in the form of an RFP. Only Jeff Bezos and those closest to him will ever know the complete set of reasons unless he comes out and makes that info public. At the end of the day all we can do is speculate, which is what i'm doing.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 11-27-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
And I think its hilarious that some people are so petty and insecure they assign nefarious intentions to slight misspellings of a city's name, lol. I mean really?
Let's not overjudge and call him insecure because I doubt that is the case.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
As far as Amazon is concerned, none of us will ever know all of the reasons why they chose to build a 2nd HQ. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that we do. All that we know with any level of certainty are their stated requirements for selecting a new location, which they made public in the form of an RFP. Only Jeff Bezos and those closest to him will ever know the complete set of reasons unless he comes out and makes that info public. At the end of the day all we can do is speculate, which is what i'm doing.
Thats well and good, but your speculation is out there for comment and criticism, and you should be prepared to defend the reasons for your speculation. There is no logic in the speculation that HQ2 has anything to do with access to capital or lobbying.

The RFP also says " Due to the successful growth of the Company, it now requires a second
corporate headquarters in North America." That sounds an awful lot like, our current facility is as big as it should/can be, and we need to find a new location in order to effectively operate and recruit employees.

Speculating is one thing, speculating based on some existing facts and data is quite different.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Thats well and good, but your speculation is out there for comment and criticism, and you should be prepared to defend the reasons for your speculation. There is no logic in the speculation that HQ2 has anything to do with access to capital or lobbying.

The RFP also says " Due to the successful growth of the Company, it now requires a second
corporate headquarters in North America." That sounds an awful lot like, our current facility is as big as it should/can be, and we need to find a new location in order to effectively operate and recruit employees.

Speculating is one thing, speculating based on some existing facts and data is quite different.
If you re-read my post the comment about proximity to capital markets and lobbyist was related to Boeing's move, and had nothing to do with Amazon's reasoning. My speculation in Boeing's case was based on actual info that I found from insiders within Boeing as to reasons why they chose to move. Again, these were just stated factors in their overall decision.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
If you re-read my post the comment about proximity to capital markets and lobbyist was related to Boeing's move, and had nothing to do with Amazon's reasoning. My speculation in Boeing's case was based on actual info that I found from insiders within Boeing as to reasons why they chose to move. Again, these were just stated factors in their overall decision.
Either way, those reasons don't hold water for any company. And incentives aren't the primary driver for Amazon, or any other company. But Amazon will negotiate and accept a huge incentive package. There are multiple cities that will work for HQ2, and Amazon will play them off against each other to create a big incentive package.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Either way, those reasons don't hold water for any company. And incentives aren't the primary driver for Amazon, or any other company. But Amazon will negotiate and accept a huge incentive package. There are multiple cities that will work for HQ2, and Amazon will play them off against each other to create a big incentive package.
We're on the same page here. I'm just pointing out, for those who think otherwise, that with Amazon it will not be solely based on which city has the biggest incentives package. Once they shortlist 2 or 3 cities that fits their needs, then it may come down to which city offers the most incentives, but not before that short, shortlist is determined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point