U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM

29,901 posts, read 27,345,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I would actually think Charlotte would make the finalist over Raleigh. They actually have the "mass transit" everyone is talking about. Some mentioned Greensboro's Amtrak not cutting it, but Raleigh is no different from Greensboro in that regard. The Charlotte area is also more populated and Amazon already has a strong prescence in the Charlotte area so thats puzzling.
Market Watch basically used some of their past rankings to compile this list. The criteria didn't come from the actual RFP, which are outlined in this article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, no they wouldn't. You think folks in Winston-Salem are throwing tantrums right now?

Greensboro submitting a proposal is cool and all, but it's not a make-or-break type of thing.
Correct. Its actually a "CYA" type of thing, since econ. dev. efforts in G'boro have been so misled, misguided and lacking. A waste of time is a waste of time. There is no upside.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:40 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Quote:
I would actually think Charlotte would make the finalist over Raleigh. They actually have the "mass transit" everyone is talking about. Some mentioned Greensboro's Amtrak not cutting it, but Raleigh is no different from Greensboro in that regard. Heck Greensboro's multimodal depot is even bigger than Raleigh's. The Charlotte area is also more populated and Amazon already has a strong prescence in the Charlotte area so thats puzzling. However I would imagine that the finalist list isnt even complete being that the deadline to submit bids is in October. Also after looking at the article it would appear that its not Amazon's finalist list. Charlotte would have to stand out over Raleigh. The only reason Raleigh is on that list is because of RTP and the area's reputation of having world class companies. Otherwise the metro area is roughly the same size in population as the Triad.
Its not something "everyone" is talking about, its a requirement in Amazon's RFP.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:46 PM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times
Quote:
LOL, no they wouldn't. You think folks in Winston-Salem are throwing tantrums right now?

Greensboro submitting a proposal is cool and all, but it's not a make-or-break type of thing.
Simply put, seeing a city at least putting their name in the pot, even if nothing comes from it is better than doing nothing. Maybe all it's used for is for informational purposes for a time when G'boro can legitimately compete with larger areas for major corporations. Believe me, people will start caring once jobs start drying up. I've been through this before, and those areas are begging for any sort of muscle movement by economic development to do something. I find it kind of alarming that someone would actually complain that the city is trying to better itself.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:51 PM

552 posts, read 309,560 times
Quote:
I would actually think Charlotte would make the finalist over Raleigh. They actually have the "mass transit" everyone is talking about. Some mentioned Greensboro's Amtrak not cutting it, but Raleigh is no different from Greensboro in that regard. Heck Greensboro's multimodal depot is even bigger than Raleigh's. The Charlotte area is also more populated and Amazon already has a strong prescence in the Charlotte area so thats puzzling. However I would imagine that the finalist list isnt even complete being that the deadline to submit bids is in October. Also after looking at the article it would appear that its not Amazon's finalist list. Charlotte would have to stand out over Raleigh. The only reason Raleigh is on that list is because of RTP and the area's reputation of having world class companies. Otherwise the metro area is roughly the same size in population as the Triad. But in my opinion Charlotte fits Amazon's criteria better than any other city in the state.

This comment is directed to a few other people. Again I have stated multiple times that Greensboro getting it is a long shot so no need for the "come back to reality " type comments. But it certainly doesn't hurt for Greensboro to submit a bid. Lol everybody submitting bids even the state of Rhode Island. Rhode Island's largest city is smaller than Greensboro.
Why are you so concerned about Raleigh's chances? The fact is..Raleigh is much more of a contender than Greensboro. Just do your research.

Your comparisons between these other cities and Greensboro has reached the level of a sickness.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Simply put, seeing a city at least putting their name in the pot, even if nothing comes from it is better than doing nothing. Maybe all it's used for is for informational purposes for a time when G'boro can legitimately compete with larger areas for major corporations. Believe me, people will start caring once jobs start drying up. I've been through this before, and those areas are begging for any sort of muscle movement by economic development to do something. I find it kind of alarming that someone would actually complain that the city is trying to better itself.
I don't think anyone is complaining that the city submitted a bid, but some of the boosterism in this thread is a bit off-putting, although not entirely unexpected.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
The only reason Raleigh is on that list is because of RTP and the area's reputation of having world class companies.
Raleigh is on the list for several reasons: large tech presence, renowned universities, highly educated workforce, great business climate, etc. RTP is also a relatively inexpensive airport and has the daily flights to the major cities outlined in the RFP.

Quote:
Lol everybody submitting bids even the state of Rhode Island. Rhode Island's largest city is smaller than Greensboro.
That's because the state of Rhode Island is the 1M+ Providence MSA/Boston CSA and has the universities (Providence itself is home to an Ivy), infrastructure, mass transit, etc. Amazon is looking for. And of course Providence is smaller than Greensboro; it's only 20 square miles but I bet anybody that visits both cities won't come away saying Greensboro is bigger.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:21 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,398,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Its not something "everyone" is talking about, its a requirement in Amazon's RFP.
And Raleigh don't have it yet they are on a list, not that it matters because Raleigh doesnt have a good chance either.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:26 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,398,216 times
Quote:
Raleigh is on the list for several reasons: large tech presence, renowned universities, highly educated workforce, great business climate, etc. RTP is also a relatively inexpensive airport and has the daily flights to the major cities outlined in the RFP.

That's because the state of Rhode Island is the 1M+ Providence MSA/Boston CSA and has the universities (Providence itself is home to an Ivy), infrastructure, mass transit, etc. Amazon is looking for. And of course Providence is smaller than Greensboro; it's only 20 square miles but I bet anybody that visits both cities won't come away saying Greensboro is bigger.
I think it goes far beyond just the basic requirements. I think they are looking for a city that is culturally the right fit for their company, a city that has strong "creative class" with a cosmopolitan feel and demographics will play an important role.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:43 PM

552 posts, read 309,560 times
Quote:
And Raleigh don't have it yet they are on a list, not that it matters because Raleigh doesnt have a good chance either.
How many of these lists do you see Greensboro on?

Here are the cities that meet the criteria for Amazon

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazons...re-contenders/

Where will the next Amazon headquarters go? | The Kansas City Star

States Scramble as Amazon Announces Search for a Second U.S. Headquarters ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or