U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 PM

552 posts, read 309,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I would actually think Charlotte would make the finalist over Raleigh. They actually have the "mass transit" everyone is talking about. Some mentioned Greensboro's Amtrak not cutting it, but Raleigh is no different from Greensboro in that regard. Heck Greensboro's multimodal depot is even bigger than Raleigh's.
Raleigh is in the process of building a new and much bigger and improved multi modal transit station called Union Station, but i'm sure you already knew that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:20 PM

421 posts, read 293,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And that's why it's important to put these bids in, even if there's no chance of it working out. People would be upset if the city didn't attempt to dream big. In the next few years, there's going to be some expansion to PTI, so that might be one aspect to consider. Having come from an area that doesn't even attempt to better themselves, it's refreshing to live in an area that at least makes the attempt.
Yes, this is the REAL point to the proposal. I'm sure noone in their right mind who drafted this proposal thinks Greensboro has a chance here. The real reason to make this pitch is to get Greensboro on Amazon's radar for other projects of far smaller scale. Greensboro couldn't come close to handling it if Amazon did choose Greensboro for some odd reason (and they won't). I could see some dark horse rationale for Charlotte or Raleigh, but this is a project that is going to a true major city. My gut says probably Boston though I think Austin has a chance to be the dark horse candidate here (though I don't know if they have much in the way of transit options).

Plus, it IS possible should Amazon choose Raleigh (it doesn't seem Charlotte is in the running) that Greensboro could get a satellite campus that could attract some jobs. Not 50,000 jobs, but maybe a couple hundred. But at the end of the day, I don't see NC in the race here as this "contest" is also largely about incentives... and we all know how well we compete when it comes to incentives.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 AM

821 posts, read 1,016,103 times
Okay, this is certainly good for Greensboro In a way that it shows the city is not afraid to dream, think outside the box if you will, rather than deny any chance in pursuing any opportunities, like the old days. That's excellent news.

However.

We have 0 chance, but it definitely gets greensboros name out there, however preaching that Charlotte or raleigh do not have a chance is nonsense and comparing this city to Charlotte or raleigh is equally nonsense, if jobs come to NC let them come, growth and jobs no matter the city are better for the entire state.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:26 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
I asked Britney Spears to prom. I never heard back, so I assume she's still considering it.

I think that's something to be proud of. It shows I'm not afraid to dream. I'm basically Justin Timberlake without all the drama.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post

We have 0 chance, but it definitely gets greensboros name out there, however preaching that Charlotte or raleigh do not have a chance is nonsense and comparing this city to Charlotte or raleigh is equally nonsense, if jobs come to NC let them come, growth and jobs no matter the city are better for the entire state.
NYT agrees with you too...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html

Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Looks like Charlotte and Raleigh eventually got ruled out in this list. And Charlotte got cut for not having enough amenities?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:54 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Cut by the Times article. Not necessarily by Amazon. No one knows what they'll do yet.

Charlotte the Times ruled out for a lack of "cultural edginess" and Raleigh for a too-low percentage of workers who commute by public transit.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 AM

I'd say the NYT article is on point for the most part. I've been in Denver recently and it is definitely the type of city that meets all of Amazon's criteria but Denver most likely will not be the choice simply because it is not on the east coast. I strongly feel like a city like Boston or DC will get this. Amazon's second HQ needs to be closer to EMEA and the primary capital markets in the US.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:31 PM

421 posts, read 293,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I'd say the NYT article is on point for the most part. I've been in Denver recently and it is definitely the type of city that meets all of Amazon's criteria but Denver most likely will not be the choice simply because it is not on the east coast. I strongly feel like a city like Boston or DC will get this. Amazon's second HQ needs to be closer to EMEA and the primary capital markets in the US.
Agreed. I think Toronto will be in the race until the end too. And perhaps Atlanta, especially with their airport.

But my money's on Boston.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Interesting turn of events. The Triad cities (Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point) are now submitting a joint bid for the Amazon headquarters according to Fox 8 news. Hypothetically because of a joint bid, if the Triad were to land it, the headquarters would likely be a suburban campus like setting centrally located between the cities as oppose to a downtown skyscraper site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or