U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:04 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Not to derail, but real estate acquisition would be pretty steep in Boston. I get the impression that Amazon is looking for quick buildout and relatively low cost.
$5 billion investment over 10 to 15 years...doesn't sound cheap or quick to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think what really takes Greensboro/Triad out of the running has nothing to do with infrastructure or mass transit. The Triad's location and transportation infrastructure is pretty superior. The area just doesn't have enough skill labor. Amazon is talking about 50,000 jobs. You are not going to find that many people in this area with that kind of technical background looking for jobs.
The lack of mass transit makes the Triad a non-starter from the word go. Its a basic requirement in the RFP.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Triad isn't a city. Its a region. Its main cities have their own metros and have less to do with eachother then say the Triangle CSA. No matter how you try to bend it, nothing out of that of that side of the state meets the very first requirement to even qualify for Amazon HQ2. People.
A CSA is a type of metropolitan area so the case could be made that Greensboro technically meets that criterium. CSA, MSA, and micropolitan area are all statistical designations created by the Office of Management and Budget for metropolitan areas based on commuting thresholds and core populations. Folks err when they try to make MSAs the strict equivalent of "metropolitan areas" in a general sense to the exclusion of CSAs, micropolitan areas, and perhaps even metropolitan divisions.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 AM

944 posts, read 506,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A CSA is a type of metropolitan area so the case could be made that Greensboro technically meets that criterium. CSA, MSA, and micropolitan area are all statistical designations created by the Office of Management and Budget for metropolitan areas based on commuting thresholds and core populations. Folks err when they try to make MSAs the strict equivalent of "metropolitan areas" in a general sense to the exclusion of CSAs, micropolitan areas, and perhaps even metropolitan divisions.
Well sure if you wanna get super super technical about it but lets be real here. You and I both know thats not what Amazon is asking for. Greensboro's gunna claim people from all the way up in mt. Airy?? Winston salem is going to allow greensboro to put in a solo bid using the people from its metro??

All im saying is there has to be a lot of bending of the requirements JUST to meet the initial qualifier of 1+million people to even be considered.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:53 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Well sure if you wanna get super super technical about it but lets be real here. You and I both know thats not what Amazon is asking for. Greensboro's gunna claim people from all the way up in mt. Airy?? Winston salem is going to allow greensboro to put in a solo bid using the people from its metro??
Greensboro is absolutely free to do that since the parameters for any kind of statistical designation for metropolitan areas are pretty flexible to begin with. Winston-Salem wouldn't know anything about Greensboro's bid so they can't "allow" Greensboro to do anything to begin with.

Quote:
All im saying is there has to be a lot of bending of the requirements JUST to meet the initial qualifier of 1+million people to even be considered.
There's no "bending" required at all. All they have to do is state the CSA figure. CSAs are but one type of metropolitan area.

The OMB could change the criteria for MSAs and CSAs today and have the Triad be an MSA once again but that changes absolutely nothing on the ground.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:14 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
$5 billion investment over 10 to 15 years...doesn't sound cheap or quick to me.
Sure, it's a lot of money, but I have no doubt that value for that money will play a role in the decision and locations with higher land acquisition cost will have that in the con column.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:35 AM

944 posts, read 506,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greensboro is absolutely free to do that since the parameters for any kind of statistical designation for metropolitan areas are pretty flexible to begin with. Winston-Salem wouldn't know anything about Greensboro's bid so they can't "allow" Greensboro to do anything to begin with.

There's no "bending" required at all. All they have to do is state the CSA figure. CSAs are but one type of metropolitan area.

The OMB could change the criteria for MSAs and CSAs today and have the Triad be an MSA once again but that changes absolutely nothing on the ground.
Sounding a lot like GSOCitizen now arent we?

You can tell yourself whatever you want to justify Greensboro or the Triad for that matter meeting the requirements but they simply don't. Maybe if everyone at Amazon were idiots they would consider a Greensboro bid that included a 1.6 million metro but anybody with half a brain knows that is a fantasy and knows that is not the type of metro amazon is asking for. If there HQ was already located in a smaller city with a mid size CSA then maybe you could use that as context but thats not the case. CSA anyways is nearly a worthless measurement of scale for determining a cities size or influence. Especially with a region like the Triad that for the most part doesnt have a whole lot to do with eachother. This isnt a Dallas-Ftworth, Raleigh-Durham, or Minneapolis St.Paul type of CSA. About the only thing Greensboro and Winston have with eachother is location.

Nothing is stopping Greensboro from putting in a bid, they can gobfor it all they want, but to try and say that their CSA is enough to get them even a consideration is a joke.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Sure, it's a lot of money, but I have no doubt that value for that money will play a role in the decision and locations with higher land acquisition cost will have that in the con column.
Cost of land acquisition, even in a high cost area will be a small percentage of the total cost of development. Plus, Amazon will use that squeeze more incentives out of the chosen location to offset the higher cost.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Cost of land acquisition, even in a high cost area will be a small percentage of the total cost of development. Plus, Amazon will use that squeeze more incentives out of the chosen location to offset the higher cost.
Possibly. I may very well be wrong. Though I should say property acquisition rather than land acquisition, as I suspect they'll do some rehabbing wherever they go, vs all new construction.

My wild guess is that they'll go with Atlanta or Chicago.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Possibly. I may very well be wrong. Though I should say property acquisition rather than land acquisition, as I suspect they'll do some rehabbing wherever they go, vs all new construction.

My wild guess is that they'll go with Atlanta or Chicago.
The RFP says ideally, they'd like the site to contain 500,000 sf of office space, and they'll construct the other 7.5 million sf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or