U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM

825 posts, read 1,019,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yep it was a name mix up. My apologies
it's cool, it's not the first time, people confuse us all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 06:50 PM

4,592 posts, read 4,405,123 times
And btw, im the one that said it was a long shot along witg GSOCitizen so we shouldn't get confused lol

Old 09-28-2017, 12:12 PM

Triad leaders are looking to the community for bold ideas in how to attract Amazon to the Triad. Submit your ideas here.

https://triadisprime.com

Old 09-28-2017, 06:44 PM

421 posts, read 294,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Triad leaders are looking to the community for bold ideas in how to attract Amazon to the Triad. Submit your ideas here.

https://triadisprime.com
Mine is to save the money from this pursuit and use those resources on endeavors that the Triad has a chance to obtain. I know, that's bold, but the Triad has exactly zero chance to lure Amazon so spending the money to attempt is a literal waste of time of money, unless this is simply being used as a showcase for what we can provide in a MUCH smaller development (ie: a satellite campus).

Old 09-29-2017, 06:24 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,443,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Mine is to save the money from this pursuit and use those resources on endeavors that the Triad has a chance to obtain. I know, that's bold, but the Triad has exactly zero chance to lure Amazon so spending the money to attempt is a literal waste of time of money, unless this is simply being used as a showcase for what we can provide in a MUCH smaller development (ie: a satellite campus).
Agree completely. We have finite economic development resources available, and wasting them on this endeavor is ridiculous.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:49 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Like I said earlier, it never hurts to throw your name in the hat, so to speak. Never know what other opportunities might come from this.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM

While its a huge long shot, I believe our city leaders are actually trying to lure Amazon. While its likely destined for a big city, it doesn't hurt to try. Our cities need to try to do something and not sit on our hands. The two biggest challenges for the Triad are finding 50,000 qualified workers and close access to an airport with international flights. While PTI is an International airport, there are no international flights. The airport briefly had an international flight to Toronto. Executives are not going to want to drive to Charlotte and even Charlotte is limited when it comes to international flights. The Triad has the population but the demographics are not there. The Triad for the most part still has a manufacturing economy. To find enough workers, people would have to commute from the Triangle and Charlotte areas.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-29-2017 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
While its a huge long shot, I believe our city leaders are actually trying to lure Amazon. While its likely destined for a big city, it doesn't hurt to try. Our cities need to try to do something and not sit on our hands. The two biggest challenges for the Triad are finding 50,000 qualified workers and close access to an airport with international flights. While PTI is an International airport, there are no international flights. The airport briefly had an international flight to Toronto. Executives are not going to want to drive to Charlotte and even Charlotte is limited when it comes to international flights. The Triad has the population but the demographics are not there. The Triad for the most part still has a manufacturing economy. To find enough workers, people would have to commute from the Triangle and Charlotte areas.
So then with the logic in your post, why in the world would Amazon come here when they can get those things (and even more) in Charlotte or Raleigh (or elsewhere)?

As far as it not hurting to try, the resources that are being spent on the Amazon project could be spent on luring some other project (ie: the Toyota/Mazda project). Whatever money that is devoted to the presentation to lure Amazon plus the manhours to put that presentation together, those people and that money could be spent on something else.

Now, if the unstated realistic goal here is to take the opportunity of Amazon listening to all offers state the Triad's case for a possible satellite campus or mega-distribution plant (if the Randolph mega-site is seriously being pitched as any kind of option it IS possible that this could be what our leaders are REALLY shooting for). A satellite campus could still attract a couple hundred high paying jobs and would be a big deal. A distribution plant could also attract hundreds (maybe thousands depending on the scope) of workers for a decent salary.

But if this is about HQ2 and nothing else, this is a waste of resources. I suspect it isn't. But what great statement could it make to a smaller (but still substantial) project instead of pursuing Amazon like everyone else is. I'd much rather improve our chances on a smaller and realistic project than to at best raise our odds on Amazon from 0 to 0.00000001%.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Now I think this is really laughable now. According to the Business Journal, Hickory is trying to land the Amazon headquarters. Very small population, it lacks the culture and sophistication Amazon is looking for in a city, limited transportation infrastructure and no international airport whatsoever within a hundred plus miles.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Now I think this is really laughable now. According to the Business Journal, Hickory is trying to land the Amazon headquarters. Very small population, it lacks the culture and sophistication Amazon is looking for in a city, limited transportation infrastructure and no international airport whatsoever within a hundred plus miles.
I saw that today. What in the world makes Hickory think they meet a single qualification Amazon is looking for? Much less all of them? Just about every city in America seems to have put everything else on hold for Amazon.

Just think what Greensboro could accomplish if they abandoned the pipe dream and focused on realistic options while everyone else drools over Amazon. Again, bold.. I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or