Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 06:19 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,570 times

Advertisements

....This is not going to happen, and in the crazy event that it did, in some alternate universe, I don't think greensboro could handle it, this is for a major city. But if they want to try, let em' try.

Need to focus on Toyota proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,221,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You are so delusional. Its really pretty funny.
Have you even read my whole post or did you just skim over parts to make your conclusion?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:16 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
More about Greensboro's bid. The article notes that even the Raleigh labor market is small for something like this so it would likely go to a bigger city. Amazon is also for LGBT rights and the HB2 bill which has now been overturned may have stained North Carolina's image. Technically, North Carolina's big metros would work for Amazon but there are just far too many cities that are better suited for it. They will likely choose a city that is culturally liberal as well. My guess is that the reason Winston-Salem has not submitted a bid is because they already fail one of the requirments. There is no site in Winston-Salem that has direct access to mass transit and the fact that the city doesnt have passenger rail service hurts them even more. But Greensboro's chances are also slim. But if it were to happen, it would be a surprise to everyone.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...5b-second.html
"may have"? LOL How about stained for years to come.

Here's a well thought out analysis of the possibilities: Here are the cities that meet the criteria for Amazon

P.S. For those who don't follow the link, Raleigh made the list; Greensboro & Charlotte did not.

Last edited by roadpony; 09-08-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 10:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
I'm pretty sure the mass transit requirement has nothing to do with Amtrak lol.

Greensboro doesn't have a chance IMO, but it's good that city leaders are at least thinking big. I'm sure Winston-Salem's lack of a submission has nothing to do with passenger rail and everything to do with...reality.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure the mass transit requirement has nothing to do with Amtrak lol.

Greensboro doesn't have a chance IMO, but it's good that city leaders are at least thinking big. I'm sure Winston-Salem's lack of a submission has nothing to do with passenger rail and everything to do with...reality.
Thanks for injecting a bit of realism into this thread. It is desperately lacking.

The two most important criteria for any location that Amazon considers will be 1) ability to attract and retain the type of workforce that they need and 2) proximity to a major airport that is well connected with MANY nonstop options to major cities domestically and internationally. Without these things a company like Amazon would have a very hard time running its business. Having said this, Greensboro would be nowhere on their radar.

Let's be honest, the city has a hard enough time trying to keep locals after they graduate from high school and college. I just cannot see hip urbanites and highly paid executives in large numbers being attracted to and wanting to live in the Triad. Furthermore, PTI does not provide nearly enough flight options to make a global business the size of Amazon remain competitive. Their operations would suffer.

If this was just a distribution facility that Amazon was seeking to establish, then i'd say Greensboro has a chance, but for a HQ the size and scope of what they have in Seattle? No way.

It's OK to dream and think big, but I see some of these comments in this thread as mostly ridiculous, as well as being extremely delusional. Those posts seem to want to convince people as to why W-S is not eligible and why Greensboro is, when the fact is that neither city is on anyone's radar. If cityboi truly believes that his descriptions of Greensboro's mass transit options will convince people that Greensboro has met that requirement, then he might should consider doing standup comedy as a profession.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Thanks for injecting a bit of realism into this thread. It is desperately lacking.

The two most important criteria for any location that Amazon considers will be 1) ability to attract and retain the type of workforce that they need and 2) proximity to a major airport that is well connected with MANY nonstop options to major cities domestically and internationally. Without these things a company like Amazon would have a very hard time running its business. Having said this, Greensboro would be nowhere on their radar.

Let's be honest, the city has a hard enough time trying to keep locals after they graduate from high school and college. I just cannot see hip urbanites and highly paid executives in large numbers being attracted to and wanting to live in the Triad. Furthermore, PTI does not provide nearly enough flight options to make a global business the size of Amazon remain competitive. Their operations would suffer.

If this was just a distribution facility that Amazon was seeking to establish, then i'd say Greensboro has a chance, but for a HQ the size and scope of what they have in Seattle? No way.

It's OK to dream and think big, but I see some of these comments in this thread as mostly ridiculous, as well as being extremely delusional. Those posts seem to want to convince people as to why W-S is not eligible and why Greensboro is, when the fact is that neither city is on anyone's radar. If cityboi truly believes that his descriptions of Greensboro's mass transit options will convince people that Greensboro has met that requirement, then he might should consider doing standup comedy as a profession.
Yep. I mean Charlotte and RDU are probably dark horse candidates and they are superior candidates to Greensboro in every way. Although I'm sure submitting this proposal wasn't extremely time-consuming, it's time that could have been better utilized. But hey, maybe it puts the city on Amazon's radar for a much more appropriate eco devo deal down the road.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. I mean Charlotte and RDU are probably dark horse candidates and they are superior candidates to Greensboro in every way. Although I'm sure submitting this proposal wasn't extremely time-consuming, it's time that could have been better utilized. But hey, maybe it puts the city on Amazon's radar for a much more appropriate eco devo deal down the road.
And that's why it's important to put these bids in, even if there's no chance of it working out. People would be upset if the city didn't attempt to dream big. In the next few years, there's going to be some expansion to PTI, so that might be one aspect to consider. Having come from an area that doesn't even attempt to better themselves, it's refreshing to live in an area that at least makes the attempt.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And that's why it's important to put these bids in, even if there's no chance of it working out. People would be upset if the city didn't attempt to dream big. In the next few years, there's going to be some expansion to PTI, so that might be one aspect to consider. Having come from an area that doesn't even attempt to better themselves, it's refreshing to live in an area that at least makes the attempt.
Exactly

Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
"may have"? LOL How about stained for years to come.

Here's a well thought out analysis of the possibilities: Here are the cities that meet the criteria for Amazon

P.S. For those who don't follow the link, Raleigh made the list; Greensboro & Charlotte did not.
I would actually think Charlotte would make the finalist over Raleigh. They actually have the "mass transit" everyone is talking about. Some mentioned Greensboro's Amtrak not cutting it, but Raleigh is no different from Greensboro in that regard. Heck Greensboro's multimodal depot is even bigger than Raleigh's. The Charlotte area is also more populated and Amazon already has a strong prescence in the Charlotte area so thats puzzling. However I would imagine that the finalist list isnt even complete being that the deadline to submit bids is in October. Also after looking at the article it would appear that its not Amazon's finalist list. Charlotte would have to stand out over Raleigh. The only reason Raleigh is on that list is because of RTP and the area's reputation of having world class companies. Otherwise the metro area is roughly the same size in population as the Triad. But in my opinion Charlotte fits Amazon's criteria better than any other city in the state.

This comment is directed to a few other people. Again I have stated multiple times that Greensboro getting it is a long shot so no need for the "come back to reality " type comments. But it certainly doesn't hurt for Greensboro to submit a bid. Lol everybody submitting bids even the state of Rhode Island. Rhode Island's largest city is smaller than Greensboro.

But I think its going to come down to the elephant in the room and thats incentives.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-08-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
People would be upset if the city didn't attempt to dream big.
LOL, no they wouldn't. You think folks in Winston-Salem are throwing tantrums right now?

Greensboro submitting a proposal is cool and all, but it's not a make-or-break type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point