Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 07:21 AM

239 posts, read 303,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Since when has Toyota chose the Triad? Has the decision already been made? Are you even clear on the differences between Toyota/Mazda requirements and Amazon requirements for a site?

You're making my case perfectly when I say that these threads are schizophrenic and paranoid.
I agree this post is ridiculous but since it's here I'll entertain it I guess. I never said the triad has Toyota already but Toyota is not looking at raliegh or Charlotte so....... I want to know why since they are so ready?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 07:23 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,131,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I agree this post is ridiculous but since it's here I'll entertain it I guess. I never said the triad has Toyota already but Toyota is not looking at raliegh or Charlotte so....... I want to know why since they are so ready?
Deleted.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 11-24-2017 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-24-2017, 07:26 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,021,925 times
Quote:
Toyota is looking at the triad over Charlotte and raliegh and that's a 1.6 billion dollar investment. So if Toyota the largest car company in the world would pick the triad over raliegh or Charlotte why are you so sure amazon wouldn't? Just a question there both Giant companies. I know amazon is not coming to Nc period but since y'all want to act like Charlotte and raliegh have a realistic shot but the triad doesn't please explain why Toyota chose the triad and not those massive city's
Its really simple. Toyota is looking for a manufacturing site to have cars built. You do realize these types of facilities sometimes are put in the middle of no where right? One of the other nc sites was Edgecombe county lol. Amazon is looking for a large white collar technology job site. They're not even remotely the same thing. A more accurate comparison would be an Amazon distribution center. Which i think the Triad has one?

Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
Quote:
Toyota is looking at the triad over Charlotte and raliegh and that's a 1.6 billion dollar investment. So if Toyota the largest car company in the world would pick the triad over raliegh or Charlotte why are you so sure amazon wouldn't? Just a question there both Giant companies. I know amazon is not coming to Nc period but since y'all want to act like Charlotte and raliegh have a realistic shot but the triad doesn't please explain why Toyota chose the triad and not those massive city's

Why would a Finance company pick Charlotte? Why would a tech company pick Raleigh? Why do car manufacturers have a love for small southern cities?

Because it meets what the company is looking for. You’re not going to see me say Charlotte or Raleigh has more of a chance at Toyota than Greensboro. But if it makes you feel good to get Toyota over the Triangle & Charlotte, by all means. Do what makes you happy. Triangle & Charlotte will still continue to grow at tremendous rates pursuing their own goals regardless who gets Amazon or Toyota.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,131,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Why would a Finance company pick Charlotte? Why would a tech company pick Raleigh? Why do car manufacturers have a love for small southern cities?

Because it meets what the company is looking for. You’re not going to see me say Charlotte or Raleigh has more of a chance at Toyota than Greensboro. But if it makes you feel good to get Toyota over the Triangle & Charlotte, by all means. Do what makes you happy. Triangle & Charlotte will still continue to grow at tremendous rates pursuing their own goals regardless who gets Amazon or Toyota.
Well stated!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 AM

239 posts, read 303,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I agree Charlotte and raliegh and the triad will still grow so why are we discussing this? I'd love Nc to get amazon I'd prefer they go to rtp since it's only 35mins from my house but I know and y'all know it's not going to happen in nc. But we can all keep writing and wishing and hoping I guess. I hope a MLB team comes to Nc also let's start talking about that since we are talking about our hopes and wishes.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:23 AM

37,789 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The problem is Charlotte and Raleigh are well over 2 hrs apart and an Amazon headquarters in either of thise cities would only draw people from two metros. In the Triad it would draw workers from all three. The jobs are lucrative enough that people from Charlotte and Raleigh would commute. None of the metros alone have a pool of workers enough to fill 50,000 jobs. So it makes sense to maximize that pool putting the headquarters in a more central location. This is why the CNBC artical brought up the regional approach including all three metros.
The CNBC article did that for other states with more than one metro in contention; it was a lazy approach on the part of the writers of the article and had zero to do with a "regional approach."

Old 11-25-2017, 09:32 AM

37,789 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
All because a major network put Greensboro on the list ? it would be funny if the city actually got it because Id be quoting some comments about how insane Greensboro's bid is. I think the negative overreaction is more insane than Greensboro being put on one network's list. Me and you both actually agree that NC isn't a likely option. So what if Greensboro is on a list. It's not going to affect the outcome one way or the other. No need to make a big deal about it. It's on a list like many other cities who won't be getting Amazon including Charlotte and Raleigh. Greensboro is a long shot, Hickory is insanity. Greensboro is not on par with Charlotte or Raleigh but you are making Greensboro seem like it's some podunk town. Long shot yes...outrageous....no. In fact Charlotte's chances are really no better than Greensboro's so why dont we just shut down all threads including Charlotte and Raleigh threads in regards to NC and Amazon? The reality is a major northeastern city will get the second Amazon headquarters. But Greensboro and other cities were mentioned which is open for discussion regardless of whether people think its insane or not.
You've said some pretty outrageous things in your homerism and overzealousness for all things Greensboro, but that statement takes the case and is one of the most absurd things I've seen coming from you. Apparently you haven't read the criteria in the RFP for HQ2.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:13 AM

6,152 posts, read 7,143,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You've said some pretty outrageous things in your homerism and overzealousness for all things Greensboro, but that statement takes the case and is one of the most absurd things I've seen coming from you. Apparently you haven't read the criteria in the RFP for HQ2.
Ive read them and both cities fail with mass transit. The linx in Charlotte doesnt really count because its not a big enough transit system. And with Charlotte traffic, they would need it.

As far as Greensboro goes..... I dont know what you would consider outrageous because everything ive posted about Greensboro is based on real developments. Not fantasy made up towers like one poster in particular posts on a another forum to try to match what could be going up in Greensboro. I never made a post about Amazon H2 being a likely tenant for a tower going up in downtown Greensboro like this poster did on a Winston-Salem forum. You think I'm overzealous? Thats over the top and quite frankly ludicrous. I also dont get excited about seeing tower cranes build 5 story buildings. Thats overzealousness. I do get excited about downtown development in Greensboro but look in every city development forum whether it Charlotte or the Triangle who doesn't?

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-25-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-25-2017, 01:50 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
Quote:
Ive read them and both cities fail with mass transit. The linx in Charlotte doesnt really count because its not a big enough transit system. And with Charlotte traffic, they would need it.

As far as Greensboro goes..... I dont know what you would consider outrageous because everything ive posted about Greensboro is based on real developments. Not fantasy made up towers like one poster in particular posts on a another forum to try to match what could be going up in Greensboro. I never made a post about Amazon H2 being a likely tenant for a tower going up in downtown Greensboro like this poster did on a Winston-Salem forum. You think I'm overzealous? Thats over the top and quite frankly ludicrous. I also dont get excited about seeing tower cranes build 5 story buildings. Thats overzealousness. I do get excited about downtown development in Greensboro but look in every city development forum whether it Charlotte or the Triangle who doesn't?
1.) it is Lynx
2.) Lynx will be around 30 Miles by 2020 (not counting what’s realistically planned to be built)
3.) In Top 10 of largest airports in the world

Greensboro has as much of a chance at landing Amazon as its peer Greenville, SC. Charlotte has as much of a chance as Pittsburgh (which only has 26 Miles of mass transit rail line)

Pittsburgh Metro is 5,340 Sq Miles with a pop. Of 2.36 million
Charlotte metro is 3,198 sq. miles with a pop of 2.47 Million

I know someone’s going to ask “what does Pittsburgh have to do with anything?” And my reasoning is to illustrate what a peer of Charlotte looks like. A peer city to Greensboro is Greenville (a very, lovely city btw). It’s literally like someone from McAllen Texas saying they have the same odds as Austin. Even though Pittsburgh doesn’t come to mind as a great contender for HQ2, I would find it just as puzzling to hear that it has the same odds as Greensboro, only people from Pittsburgh thinks Pittsburgh is big, it’s not a real city yet, etc.

I think Raleigh has a better chance than Charlotte and I think it’s one of the top Amazon choices which I would bet 1,) Atlanta (2.) NoVa (3.) Boston (4.) Austin (5.) Dallas (6.) Jersey/NYC (7.) Toronto (8.) Raleigh

And the whole “But Triad can draw from all 3” is complete bogus. If Amazon wants to draw workers from Charlotte & Raleigh, they would split HQ2 between the two cities with CLT getting back office and admin. Jobs and Raleigh getting more tech & innovation related jobs. That’s most likely not gonna happen, but more likely than Greensboro getting it. Raleigh & Charlotte will be connected by both of their new downtown train stations and with lots of flights.

Look at MetLife for example:

Quote:

CARY, N.C. — Financial services giant MetLife Group Inc. will bring more than 2,600 jobs to Cary and Charlotte over the next three years after receiving more than $90 million in state incentives.

The jobs will be evenly split between the two campuses. They will include product management, marketing, sales and customer support in Charlotte and information technology positions in Cary

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wra...%3fversion=amp

These type of jobs aren’t going to locate to Greensboro to draw talent from Triangle & CLT. If they want us both, they will choose both.

There’s a way to say you don’t think Charlotte nor Raleigh will get HQ2, which I disagree with, but I’m not sure why some of you guys take it so personally when others aren’t in la la land pretending Greensboro is up there with Charlotte & Raleigh. And yes, we all know neither city is Atlanta big. We are Portland big. Medium sized metros. No one suggesting otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point