U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:12 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times

Advertisements

The city of Greensboro has submitted a bid for an Amazon Headquarters. It would be a dual headquarters with the one in Seattle and the headquarters would create 50,000 jobs. If Amazon selected Greensboro it would be located in a city where one of its competitors are based (Greensboro based Market America). The company said it was inviting proposals for its new site, which it said could have a similar layout to its Seattle headquarters, including an urban downtown campus. This news comes at a time when the News and Record property downtown is up for sale and the city may be pitching that site to Amazon. There are also adjoining sites around the News and Record property that could be assembled for a downtown campus. It may be a long shot but you never know. One of the requirements is having direct access to mass transit. The depot which is a multi modal transportation hub and includes an Amtrak station sits right across the street from the News and Record property. This is why I believe the city is pitching that property because its the only site in Greensboro with direct access to mass transit and the timing of the sale couldn't be more perfect. Distribution operations could be located near the airport where the Mid Atlantic FedEx hub could help sweeten the deal.

If Amazon were to build a downtown headquarters campus in Greensboro, it would be a game changer for downtown and thats an understatement. Their prescence would spur downtown residential development on a level the city has never seen before. We are talking about 50,000 jobs. We would also see more hotel proposals. Like I said its a long shot but if it were to happen, downtown would see an explosion of development. Charlotte and Research Triangle Park have also submitted bids. Winston-Salem has not submitted a bid and they would fail the requirement of having direct access to mass transit. There is no train passenger train station there and the downtown bus station is blocks away from the innovation quarter which is where a headquarters like that would probably go. Greensboro has a big challenge because its competing with cities like Chicago and Atlanta which are more cosmopolitan and top executives at a company like that love the big city life. .

Greensboro applies for Amazon’s second headquarters; project could possibly bring 50k jobs to area | myfox8.com

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/t...h-america.html

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-07-2017 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 PM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
There is absolutely no chance that Greensboro wins this bid. The requirements also listed an international airport within 45 minutes. Greensboro doesn't really have that (just because "international" is in the name of the airport doesn't mean it's a truly international airport). Also, the mass transit that Amazon is looking for would be more like light rail and/or subways. Not a few buses.

In all likelihood, this is going to be a race between the major cities. Charlotte might land on the short list and I think Raleigh could be a dark horse. But in all likelihood, I think they go to Atlanta, Chicago, DC, Boston, or NYC.

That said, in the absolute pipe dream scenario that Amazon does choose Greensboro, it would be far more than a game changer. I'm not even sure Greensboro could seriously handle the influx of job/money/etc that it would provide.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 PM

True PTI doesnt have international flights even though its an international airport. However companies such as Amazon coming to the area leads to more flight at the airport. Greensboro doesnt have light rail or a subway but it does have a Amtrak station at the depot with statewide services as well as train service to New York. The Amtrak station is next to the News and Record property which is a likely site the city is pushing for. Also keep in mind mass transit is not just rail. It includes buses and the depot has city and regional bus service. I agree its a long shot because just about every city that technically meets the requirements is going to bid and Greensboro has an identity problem and doesn't have that cosmopolitan image. However anything is possible. Its like playing that powerball ticket. You know you are going to probably lose but you play anyway. But if you dont play you dont win.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 PM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
I love the optimism, but not only is this not a long-shot but it's an an impossibility. I don't think Greensboro could even handle the influx of... well... everything that Amazon would bring. This is 50,000 jobs we're talking about. Where are 50,000 qualified people going to come from? Will Amazon get 50,000 people who are willing to relocate to Greensboro? Or would they have an easier time attracting top talent from a bigger city?

Heck, this kind of development is likely too big even for Charlotte. This is going to be a race among the major cities. From what I read, the early favorites are Dallas, Chicago, NYC, Boston, and Toronto. It's not like this is a fight against the likes of Norfolk, Rochester, and Knoxville. Greensboro literally has no advantages over at least a dozen of the other cities in the race.

It doesn't hurt to put together a proposal. But I'd hate to waste too much time on this when there are other more attainable projects out there (Toyota/Mazda for instance).

Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 AM

That was a big reason there was a requirement of having a metro area of one million people. Technically Greensboro's MSA is much smaller but the CSA is 1.6 million and that is what the city of Greensboro is using in its bid. If the jobs pay well people would commute. Thats another reason for the requirement of mass transit and there are enough Amtrak passenger stops during the day. But yes its a long shot and Charlotte would have a higher probability than Greensboro.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:21 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
I'd be surprised if any city with a metro that could be in any way construed as approaching a million doesn't apply. I'd be disappointed if Winston didn't submit a bid also.

My gut says it'll be Atlanta or Chicago, with cities that could really use it (like Detroit) as dark horses, given the transformational potential of the project and Bezos' personal activism.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:22 AM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
Pigs are flying, already.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
NC has no chance to win this project, and G'boro has even lees of chance than that.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:16 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
True PTI doesnt have international flights even though its an international airport. However companies such as Amazon coming to the area leads to more flight at the airport. Greensboro doesnt have light rail or a subway but it does have a Amtrak station at the depot with statewide services as well as train service to New York. The Amtrak station is next to the News and Record property which is a likely site the city is pushing for. Also keep in mind mass transit is not just rail. It includes buses and the depot has city and regional bus service. I agree its a long shot because just about every city that technically meets the requirements is going to bid and Greensboro has an identity problem and doesn't have that cosmopolitan image. However anything is possible. Its like playing that powerball ticket. You know you are going to probably lose but you play anyway. But if you dont play you dont win.
You are so delusional. Its really pretty funny.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:18 AM

More about Greensboro's bid. The article notes that even the Raleigh labor market is small for something like this so it would likely go to a bigger city. Amazon is also for LGBT rights and the HB2 bill which has now been overturned may have stained North Carolina's image. Technically, North Carolina's big metros would work for Amazon but there are just far too many cities that are better suited for it. They will likely choose a city that is culturally liberal as well. My guess is that the reason Winston-Salem has not submitted a bid is because they already fail one of the requirments. There is no site in Winston-Salem that has direct access to mass transit and the fact that the city doesnt have passenger rail service hurts them even more. But Greensboro's chances are also slim. But if it were to happen, it would be a surprise to everyone.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...5b-second.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or