U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2017, 11:24 PM
 
512 posts, read 376,879 times
Reputation: 444

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
This is part of the problem. There is so much more going on in Raleigh than "RTP" and "Government." If you care to look, there is huge growth in tech, biotech, CROs, and even in Financial Services outside of RTP. As a matter of fact, RTP itself has become somewhat stagnant. We are actually seeing more growth in central Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill.

Instead of the Triad spending so much time thinking about how it measures up to other metros, maybe Triad leaders should focus that energy on promoting businesses and industries that can realistically help carve out a niche.

I'm fine with thinking that Raleigh has more than the RTP & govt. But a lot of people must already agree with you since it is one of the fastest growing metros in the country.

But this thread is about the Triad. So here is the simple question

What does the Triad have to offer?
What character does it have?

If it can't be said, it's probably not there. Other places clearly have something. From Austin's "Keep Austin weird" to the smarts, high-tech Triangle. People would clearly move there for something. If you were stuck on an elevator with someone and they asked you why you live in the Triad, what would you tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2017, 07:43 AM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I'm fine with thinking that Raleigh has more than the RTP & govt. But a lot of people must already agree with you since it is one of the fastest growing metros in the country.

But this thread is about the Triad. So here is the simple question

What does the Triad have to offer?
What character does it have?

If it can't be said, it's probably not there. Other places clearly have something. From Austin's "Keep Austin weird" to the smarts, high-tech Triangle. People would clearly move there for something. If you were stuck on an elevator with someone and they asked you why you live in the Triad, what would you tell them.
Well, first of all, I disagree with your premise. I don't think every city needs an elevator pitch, and I don't think those pithy summaries of a city fit more than a small fraction of the people who live there, in any case. As I think through a list of cities where I've lived or visited, only a handful of them have a "thing" that could be printed on a matchbook.

I can't speak for the Triad, necessarily, but speaking for Winston-Salem, what does it have?

Verdant rolling hills. Leafy neighborhoods. Several good colleges. Excellent arts. A fascinating downtown revitalization in progress. Excellent hospitals. Interesting Moravian heritage. Close proximity to the mountains. Affordability. Ease of living. Good beer, food, and coffee.

It's not a one-industry town. It used to be (well, a two-industry town) and that was problematic when those industries--tobacco and textiles--dwindled. The HanesBrands HQ is still here, and though Reynolds American was rolled into BAT earlier this year, the merged company's US HQ remains in Winston. BB&T and Krispy Kreme HQs are here too, and companies like Inmar are having a huge impact on the local economy. The hospitals and universities provide good-paying jobs and keep the area invigorated with transplants.

I can't say that any one of these things, on its own, is why we picked Winston-Salem to live, work, and raise a family. It was a combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Reputation: 1488
Sometimes its hard to compare cities. Because Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham and Winston-Salem all have different vibes. Doesn't neccisarily mean one is better than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 09:45 AM
 
29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18453
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think NOT having a skyline like Charlotte or Raleigh will pay dividends for cities like Greensboro and Winston Salem as tearing down character buildings to throw up steel/glass highrises removes the soul of a city. The feeling of character is what is going to carry Greensoboro-Winston Salem in the years to come for those who appreciate that value over congested, vertical living. Durham is a textbook example of what can be done without a massive high rise core, and W-S especially seems more on that trajectory at this point.
Both Greensboro and Winston-Salem have plenty of surface parking lots within their cores that can accommodate highrises (and this is what's happening with Charlotte's most recent highrise boom). It doesn't necessitate tearing down historic buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM
 
29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I'm fine with thinking that Raleigh has more than the RTP & govt. But a lot of people must already agree with you since it is one of the fastest growing metros in the country.

But this thread is about the Triad. So here is the simple question

What does the Triad have to offer?
What character does it have?

If it can't be said, it's probably not there. Other places clearly have something. From Austin's "Keep Austin weird" to the smarts, high-tech Triangle. People would clearly move there for something. If you were stuck on an elevator with someone and they asked you why you live in the Triad, what would you tell them.
Rapid growth is driven by jobs, jobs, jobs. Some of the cities with the most character in the U.S. are experiencing the most sluggish, or even negative, growth and it's because their local economies are relatively stagnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Both Greensboro and Winston-Salem have plenty of surface parking lots within their cores that can accommodate highrises (and this is what's happening with Charlotte's most recent highrise boom). It doesn't necessitate tearing down historic buildings.
And Charlotte still has a lot of parking lots on the east side of uptown so I would expect to see Charlotte's skyline expand eastward.

Greensboro has a north to south axis skyline and because of that there are only a few vantage points where Greensboro's skyline looks decent. Directly south it doesnt look good at all and it makes downtown look like its only a few blocks from east to west. But with the planned towers west of Elm and Greene Streets, thats going to change. And if a tower or two goes up on the News & Record site we would see Greensboro's skyline expand eastward as well. There are plenty of surface parking lots towers could go up on but many of those lots are tied up by private owners who may not want to sell at this point. Greensboro's skyline is very compact and because of that it makes downtown look small. People forget that downtown is about a square mile. Downtown is much bigger than it appears. Greensboro and Winston-Salem's downtowns are about the same size but because Winston-Salem's skyline is spread out in all directions including dense lowrise buildings, its downtown appears larger. There is some midsize density in downtown Greensboro around city hall and the courthouse.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-23-2017 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 07:43 PM
 
512 posts, read 376,879 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Well, first of all, I disagree with your premise. I don't think every city needs an elevator pitch, and I don't think those pithy summaries of a city fit more than a small fraction of the people who live there, in any case. As I think through a list of cities where I've lived or visited, only a handful of them have a "thing" that could be printed on a matchbook.

I can't speak for the Triad, necessarily, but speaking for Winston-Salem, what does it have?

Verdant rolling hills. Leafy neighborhoods. Several good colleges. Excellent arts. A fascinating downtown revitalization in progress. Excellent hospitals. Interesting Moravian heritage. Close proximity to the mountains. Affordability. Ease of living. Good beer, food, and coffee.

It's not a one-industry town. It used to be (well, a two-industry town) and that was problematic when those industries--tobacco and textiles--dwindled. The HanesBrands HQ is still here, and though Reynolds American was rolled into BAT earlier this year, the merged company's US HQ remains in Winston. BB&T and Krispy Kreme HQs are here too, and companies like Inmar are having a huge impact on the local economy. The hospitals and universities provide good-paying jobs and keep the area invigorated with transplants.

I can't say that any one of these things, on its own, is why we picked Winston-Salem to live, work, and raise a family. It was a combination.
It does seem hard to imagine a really great area that doesn't have an elevator pitch. Once again if people want to move to the Triad they would have a reason. And it would seem to be both powerful & succinct. In NC, though I am not a resident I can see the pitch for the other 4 areas. If someone asked me why live in:


Triangle: It's the smartest place in the south with the govt. schools & businesses working together to produce a high tech region. It's not too far from the beaches or mountains and has decent weather. It still has affordability compared to other tech hubs in the US. It's also fast growing, so better get here while you can.

Wilmington: It's a beach town with a University in it. Beautiful beaches, warm water nice weather.

Asheville: It's a fun and quirky liberal utopia in NC. It's a fun place to be in a beautiful area nestled in the mountains.

Charlotte: It's the big city of NC. Has pro sports, banking industry, a skyline and growing fast. Has the amenities of big city life but still affordable.

Triad: It's got a university there UNC Greensboro. Other than that ???????



Do you see what I mean? Why pick the Triad? Is it the beauty? It seems all arguments boil down to about 3 general points.

Economic: Jobs, wages, startup, high-tech, education/knowledge, affordability

Social: Art, music, culture, energy, creativity, family, fun

Environment: Beaches, mountains, climate/weather,

The Charlotte & Raleigh have done great on the economic front. Asheville & Wilmington do great on the environment and to some degree on the social front (Asheville). But the Triad seems to be lukewarm in every category. I could be wrong, again I don't live there, but it seems that a lot of people are implicitly agreeing by passing this place up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM
 
239 posts, read 213,185 times
Reputation: 55
The triad is close to the beaches and mountains and is the central point of nc and the east coast. We can experience Raleigh and charlotte and still enjoy our own cities something the other nc cities can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
943 posts, read 504,493 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
It does seem hard to imagine a really great area that doesn't have an elevator pitch. Once again if people want to move to the Triad they would have a reason. And it would seem to be both powerful & succinct. In NC, though I am not a resident I can see the pitch for the other 4 areas. If someone asked me why live in:


Triangle: It's the smartest place in the south with the govt. schools & businesses working together to produce a high tech region. It's not too far from the beaches or mountains and has decent weather. It still has affordability compared to other tech hubs in the US. It's also fast growing, so better get here while you can.

Wilmington: It's a beach town with a University in it. Beautiful beaches, warm water nice weather.

Asheville: It's a fun and quirky liberal utopia in NC. It's a fun place to be in a beautiful area nestled in the mountains.

Charlotte: It's the big city of NC. Has pro sports, banking industry, a skyline and growing fast. Has the amenities of big city life but still affordable.

Triad: It's got a university there UNC Greensboro. Other than that ???????



Do you see what I mean? Why pick the Triad? Is it the beauty? It seems all arguments boil down to about 3 general points.

Economic: Jobs, wages, startup, high-tech, education/knowledge, affordability

Social: Art, music, culture, energy, creativity, family, fun

Environment: Beaches, mountains, climate/weather,

The Charlotte & Raleigh have done great on the economic front. Asheville & Wilmington do great on the environment and to some degree on the social front (Asheville). But the Triad seems to be lukewarm in every category. I could be wrong, again I don't live there, but it seems that a lot of people are implicitly agreeing by passing this place up.
I have to agree with post unfortunately. Ive stated before that i have a ton of family in Greensboro. I also work in the Triad quite a bit. Mostly Winston-Salem. So i spend a decent amount of time there. And the feeling is always just "Meh." Ive felt that way about the area since i was a kid living in Michigan. A lot of my family feels that way too. Many have expressed wanting to move to the Triangle and some probably will. Though likely to Raleigh as they cant stand Durham for some reason. There just doesnt seem to be much excitement or uniqueness in the area.

If you live in a metro in NC you probably have a reason to go visit one of the other metros. If you live in Raleigh you probably like going to Wilmington and vice versa. If you live in Charlotte, Asheville can be a fun unique weekend and the opposite for the wanting the big city vibe. Theres a draw for almost every metro whether its to visit or move, expect the Triad in my mind (also Fayetteville). And thats not to say its a bad place. Its just kinda meh. But also a lot better then Fayetteville.

But thats all just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2017, 03:15 AM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,620 posts, read 3,029,008 times
Reputation: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Though likely to Raleigh as they cant stand Durham for some reason.
Durham used to be really crime ridden, but it's nowhere as bad nowdays as it once was. The city is much better than it used to be, but that negative reputation still lingers. I suspect that might be the reason.

Durham still has some rough spots, but as long as you avoid those and don't engage in criminial activity yourself or hang around those that do, chances of being a victim drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top