Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:37 AM

475 posts, read 685,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The only thing that really puts Greensboro on the map nationally is when the city host major sporting events (coliseum/PGA tournament).
...and people tend to remember those locations for about 2 days after the tournaments end. Where was the 2014 Final Four? Not many people can answer without Google. There are about 20 cities involved in the entire tournament, so that's not really something that stands out beyond the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Because of this a lot of people have heard of Greensboro, they just don't know what the city is about.
...or how large it is (population), and often times, WHERE it is. I'm amazed that just TWO states away (Georgia/Maryland), it takes providing so much information for someone to realize what place I'm talking about. I can't think of many cities of similar population with that problem. I also think, beyond local sound bites (radio/weather), Greensboro needs to abandon this whole Piedmont Triad thing - nobody knows what the h*ll that is. It's akin to taking 4 cities in the eastern part of the state and branding them the Coastal Plain Quad???

I think 'Greensboro/Winston-Salem' and a GWS airport code would have gone much further in reinforcing the location messaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
...or how large it is (population), and often times, WHERE it is. I'm amazed that just TWO states away (Georgia/Maryland), it takes providing so much information for someone to realize what place I'm talking about.
Well Georgia has its own Greensboro--not nearly as large as NC's, but still, I'd imagine that most Georgians would think you're referring to their own town by the same name.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Georgia has its own Greensboro--not nearly as large as NC's, but still, I'd imagine that most Georgians would think you're referring to their own town by the same name.
They don't think that; it's clear in the context of their responses/convo. They just have little to no idea.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
They don't think that; it's clear in the context of their responses/convo. They just have little to no idea.
Well I don't think Greensboro is alone there. Lexington, KY is also two states away and I seriously doubt most folks in Georgia would what city you're talking about without providing context, although you may have to provide less since it's the home of UK.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Well I don't think Greensboro is alone there. Lexington, KY is also two states away and I seriously doubt most folks in Georgia would what city you're talking about without providing context, although you may have to provide less since it's the home of UK.
Right. My point was that I don't think there are many, not that GSO is the only.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:03 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
I also think, beyond local sound bites (radio/weather), Greensboro needs to abandon this whole Piedmont Triad thing - nobody knows what the h*ll that is. It's akin to taking 4 cities in the eastern part of the state and branding them the Coastal Plain Quad???
What would be the point in doing this, especially since this is well established? That would be taking a huge step backwards to exclude many of the smaller jurisdictions in the Triad area, which also include include important components of economic development, tourism/recreation, transportation, water supply, etc. that serve as amenities/infrastructure for the entire region. The larger cities, such as Greensboro, and smaller cities in the region, not just 2 or 3, (61 municipalities in 12 counties to be exact) benefit from each other in various ways and working together with each other (with an effort like the megasite, which involves multiple jurisdictions) results in a stronger region. In fact, it's often said that the Triad area needs to continue to forge these relationships to be more competitive with other regions rather than having turf wars.

Piedmont Triad Regional Council : About the Region

Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
This is adjacent to my thoughts. It can't help that Greensboro has a name that's similar to many other cities. In addition to Greensboro, GA, there are "Greenvilles" in both NC & SC, and that's in addition to the dozens of other cities in the USA with "Green" in their names. People get confused. Heck, it took forever for Charlotte to differentiate itself because of its own name being similar to Charlottesville and the Charlestons in SC and WV, but they've successfully gotten beyond that hurdle.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Right. My point was that I don't think there are many, not that GSO is the only.
I mean Greensboro isn't *that* big and I don't think your Georgia/Maryland example is an anomaly. I wouldn't expect people in VA or FL to know much about Greenville or Columbia in SC (Charleston would be an obvious exception).

Old 10-26-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I mean Greensboro isn't *that* big and I don't think your Georgia/Maryland example is an anomaly. I wouldn't expect people in VA or FL to know much about Greenville or Columbia in SC (Charleston would be an obvious exception).
I mentioned Greensboro's size specifically, not any particular superlative related to it. I *would* expect people to have more of a familiarity with where Greensboro is and a little more about it, within the range I mentioned, and *MY* experiences are that they do not. I wasn't posting how everyone else sees it.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What would be the point in doing this, especially since this is well established? That would be taking a huge step backwards to exclude many of the smaller jurisdictions in the Triad area, which also include include important components of economic development, tourism/recreation, transportation, water supply, etc. that serve as amenities/infrastructure for the entire region. The larger cities, such as Greensboro, and smaller cities in the region, not just 2 or 3, (61 municipalities in 12 counties to be exact) benefit from each other in various ways and working together with each other (with an effort like the megasite, which involves multiple jurisdictions) results in a stronger region. In fact, it's often said that the Triad area needs to continue to forge these relationships to be more competitive with other regions rather than having turf wars.

Piedmont Triad Regional Council : About the Region
I know about the region. I was born at Moses Cone, and graduated from both Page High and NC A&T, so I'm more familiar than most. I've also moved and have traveled all over the country and world. No significant populace knows what the Piedmont Triad is. As I noted, it works locally for sound bites.

Many metro areas (all parts) are casually referred to or branded by the name of the dominant city(ies) alone. 'Dallas' plays football in Arlington; Washington Reagan is in Alexandria, VA; Atlanta Hartsfield is in Hapeville. People tend to get it.

Last edited by gold15; 10-26-2017 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point