U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:27 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I mentioned Greensboro's size specifically, not any particular superlative related to it. I *would* expect people to have more of a familiarity with where Greensboro is and a little more about it, within the range I mentioned, and *MY* experiences are that they do not. I wasn't posting how everyone else sees it.
I'm not sure if that's a realistic expectation for the average Joe when it comes to a city the size of Greensboro though; that's the only thing I'm disagreeing with. And truthfully, you could just as easily run across some people two states away who don't know that Raleigh is as big as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:28 PM

426 posts, read 505,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is adjacent to my thoughts. It can't help that Greensboro has a name that's similar to many other cities. In addition to Greensboro, GA, there are "Greenvilles" in both NC & SC, and that's in addition to the dozens of other cities in the USA with "Green" in their names. People get confused. Heck, it took forever for Charlotte to differentiate itself because of its own name being similar to Charlottesville and the Charlestons in SC and WV, but they've successfully gotten beyond that hurdle.
I can say "Greensboro, NORTH CAROLINA," and still get the side-eye. I agree with you that none of those other Greens or Boros help.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:34 PM

426 posts, read 505,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure if that's a realistic expectation for the average Joe when it comes to a city the size of Greensboro though; that's the only thing I'm disagreeing with. And truthfully, you could just as easily run across some people two states away who don't know that Raleigh is as big as it is.
It's more about them knowing what it's not (a two road, one stoplight town - yes, I'm exaggerating), than what it is. Could find that regarding Raleigh - true, but never have. It has been a trend in my experiences with Greensboro - a "more often than not" kinda thing. Being from GSO, it's a conversation I've had hundreds of times.

About expectations, sadly, you're probably right. We were talking about image/marketing though, and gsoboi introduced the concept of people having an awareness as a result of tournaments and the coliseum.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
It's more about them knowing what it's not (a two road, one stoplight town - yes, I'm exaggerating), than what it is. Could find that regarding Raleigh - true, but never have. It has been a trend in my experiences with Greensboro - a "more often than not" kinda thing. Being from GSO, it's a conversation I've had hundreds of times.

About expectations, sadly, you're probably right. We were talking about image/marketing though, and gsoboi introduced the concept of people having an awareness as a result of tournaments and the coliseum.
Well you know Americans aren't very well-versed when it comes to geography. I remember years ago, I was talking to a guy who had moved to Charlotte from NYC and for the longest time, he thought Charlotte was akin to Fayetteville simply based on what he saw of Fayetteville from I-95 and the fact that both cities are in the same state.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:31 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times
Charlotte had to fight that battle for a long time. Perception had not caught up with reality. Charlotteans cringed when national media said Charlotte, "NC", Because the media didn't say Atlanta, GA or Chicago, IL

Old 10-26-2017, 03:54 PM

554 posts, read 310,823 times
I once overheard a woman talking on the phone at the Charlotte airport refer to her location as "Charlottesville." I blame a lot of the notoriety issues on the lack of promoting and growing the "destinations" in these cities by the state and the cities themselves.

None of our cities have nationally recognized zoo's, aquariums, etc. like other major metros. The main zoo is in Asheboro and the main aquarium is on the coast. Until recent decades, we didn't even have any major league sports teams.

Both Raleigh and Charlotte are getting noticed more and more for all of the domestic and international commerce activity happening in those cities. The Triad has not been as fortunate.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:12 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,017,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I once overheard a woman talking on the phone at the Charlotte airport refer to her location as "Charlottesville." I blame a lot of the notoriety issues on the lack of promoting and growing the "destinations" in these cities by the state and the cities themselves.
In fairness, if someone is judging the awareness about a region from the knowledge of the general public encountered on the street or an airport, they are unfortunately going to fall short, regardless of how well promoted an area is (unless you ask them about the details of a sports team of the area).

A lot of people couldn't even identify North Carolina on a map, or they think New England is a state, etc.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-27-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 05:32 AM

4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times
I think there is a perception about the south in general. When people think of big cities in the south the first thing that comes to mind is Atlanta and Miami. Florida seems to be different from the rest of the south. While the pan handle is culturally southern the rest of the state is not. Geographically it's southern but culturally its a different story.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 AM

512 posts, read 377,266 times
Quote:
Triad: UNCG, Wake Forest, Guilford College, Winston-Salem State, NC A&T, High Point University, NC School of the Arts, Bennett College, Greensboro College, Elon Law School, Salem College, Forsyth Tech, Guilford Tech. Even more affordable than Charlotte and The Triangle. Also not far from beaches and mountains. The exact same "decent weather" listed as a plus for The Triangle.
According to the maps it is true that the Triad has many colleges. But I think its major problem is as you said, the place does not sell itself. It should have created a large research center linking all of its major universities. Or tried to go something different, like boost the arts, something!

The Triangle has made serious effort into linking its major universities. It's done such a great job that the whole region is known by the RTP, the symbol of the area. With all of the universities and schools, you would think that it would do a better job in self-promotion. Maybe their leaders don't work together as well as the Triangle has.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:14 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
According to the maps it is true that the Triad has many colleges. But I think its major problem is as you said, the place does not sell itself. It should have created a large research center linking all of its major universities. Or tried to go something different, like boost the arts, something!

The Triangle has made serious effort into linking its major universities. It's done such a great job that the whole region is known by the RTP, the symbol of the area. With all of the universities and schools, you would think that it would do a better job in self-promotion. Maybe their leaders don't work together as well as the Triangle has.
If it were that easy, it would be done. And most of your suggested have been done, or are underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point