Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You don't have to live in Greensboro for a long time, or even live in G'boro at all, to know if its growing. All you have to do is look at population growth stats, unemployment rates, job growth, etc.

Look at some of the new companies that have set up shop, or expanded, in the area in the past few years...Honda Jet, VF, HAECO, Qorvo, etc.

I suspect there is much more going on in G'boro and the Triad than you realize.
There probably is. I think it depends upon who you talk to. Some make GSO out to be like it's going to be the second coming of New York City. Others make it sound like the area has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Just from my own observations, I'm seeing all of the new roads being constructed, and that leads me to believe they're not doing that just because they're bored with the current road infrastructure. There's a purpose for building the urban loop and expanding I-73, and it all usually comes back to helping an area develop further.

Just take my neighborhood for instance. I live on a dead end road, but noticed the land at the end of the road has been purchased and plans to be developed. I think they're also building some sort of Temple campus right next to our neighborhood as well. A few other things have been built, in the process of being built, or have moved in around the Oak Ridge/Summerfield area. And then, you have a bunch of new developments being constructed. An area that isn't growing isn't going to have new developments being, well, developed. So, I do think the area is growing, but it may not necessarily be toward downtown, it might actually wind up being more around the airport area, and especially if PTI does expand which I think it's supposed to.

Of course, for us who live around that area and like a more nestled, secluded neighborhood, we may have to move, but I'm not necessarily sentimental to our current neighborhood. I guess for me, growing up and living in Southside VA, I've experienced more loss than anything else, so living in an area where growth is the norm and young people want to be there as well as the retirees is a place I want to be. A place where there's something for everyone, and I think GSO can be that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
That's quite possible. Having come from Martinsville, VA, any form of growth seems like a boom to me.
Yes, compared to Martinsville, G'boro is a boom town. I guess boom is relative.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
No RTP, which was the result of collaboration between the state's political, academic, and business leaders;

And no business leaders with visions of aggressive expansion in the vein of Hugh McColl and Ed Crutchfield.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Instead of the Triad spending so much time thinking about how it measures up to other metros, maybe Triad leaders should focus that energy on promoting businesses and industries that can realistically help carve out a niche.
Not sure who you're listening to...I haven't heard any of the Triad's leaders saying anything about measuring up to other metros, but I have seen quite a lot of evidence to show that they are focusing their energy on promoting businesses and industries, as well as laying out a path for planned growth that does not overwhelm our infrastucture and resources. You need look no further than the Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem to see a great example of this.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:32 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Not sure who you're listening to...I haven't heard any of the Triad's leaders saying anything about measuring up to other metros, but I have seen quite a lot of evidence to show that they are focusing their energy on promoting businesses and industries, as well as laying out a path for planned growth that does not overwhelm our infrastucture and resources. You need look no further than the Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem to see a great example of this.
Yes, agree completely. Look at the revitalization of G'boro and W-S's downtowns, new baseball stadiums, High Point's downtown plans, the Triad megasite, highway improvements, land assemblage at PTI, etc, etc.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:42 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
I think the Triad understands its not going to become the next RTP or the next banking center. The Triad is trying to find its own way. I Do think Triad leaders need to become more aggressive in recruiting new industry to the area and start thinking outside of the box. The Triad needs to start thinking bigger. I still think aviation/aerospace/hitech manufacturing/tech companies/logistics and distribution and a greater focus on insurance related companies is the future of the Triad. The Triad already has a strong foundation for these industries.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:09 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The Triad needs to start thinking bigger.
I'm trying to reconcile this statement with the thread you started about GSO making a bid for the Amazon HQ. Is that not big enough for you?

Old 09-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'm trying to reconcile this statement with the thread you started about GSO making a bid for the Amazon HQ. Is that not big enough for you?

Of course. Even though it is not likely Greensboro will get the Amazon headquarters, its good that the city is trying to get it. But I still think in general the Triad doesnt think big enough. Also it seems like sometimes the Triad is daydreaming while Charlotte and Raleigh jump on big opportunities and beat the Triad to the punch. A great example is major league soccer. There was a grand plan to build a major league soccer stadium and sports complex as a part of the Heart of the Triad development. A number of years has gone by and it appears the Heart of the Triad is either dead or on the backburner. Meanwhile Charlotte and especially Raleigh are making bids to land a major league soccer team. Sometimes the Triad just sits on its hands while other areas are jumping on opportunities. The Triad needs a more cosmopolitan image

Old 09-15-2017, 06:39 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Of course. Even though it is not likely Greensboro will get the Amazon headquarters, its good that the city is trying to get it. But I still think in general the Triad doesnt think big enough. Also it seems like sometimes the Triad is daydreaming while Charlotte and Raleigh jump on big opportunities and beat the Triad to the punch. A great example is major league soccer. There was a grand plan to build a major league soccer stadium and sports complex as a part of the Heart of the Triad development. A number of years has gone by and it appears the Heart of the Triad is either dead or on the backburner. Meanwhile Charlotte and especially Raleigh are making bids to land a major league soccer team. Sometimes the Triad just sits on its hands while other areas are jumping on opportunities. The Triad needs a more cosmopolitan image
That Heart of the Triad thing was a boondoggle in the making. You'd better be glad it never got off the ground.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That Heart of the Triad thing was a boondoggle in the making. You'd better be glad it never got off the ground.
I doubt it would ever have legs anyway because its very difficult trying to get the three Triad cities to come together to do anything big. I feel like the three cities are still competing with each other particularly between Greensboro and Winston-Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point