U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,086,746 times

Advertisements

Just my opinion, but I don't think a major league soccer team initiative alone is much of a measuring stick, nor is it alone a sound basis for growth planning. I see plenty of examples of out-of-the-box, "big" thinking in the Triad:

- Road improvements, including the WS beltway, the Union Cross/I-40 exchange, the Bus 40 upgrades in WS, and the interstate projects around GSO, among many others
- The National Cycling Center in WS, along with the events it brings
- Triad Park in Kville
- The Convention Center and Central Library renovations in WS
- The downtown greenway in GSO, the Research Park greenway in WS, and the planned Piedmont Regional Greenway that will run from Salem Lake through Triad Park to Greensboro
- The downtown construction booms in both GSO and WS
- New medical facilities in Clemmons and Kville
- The relocation of SciWorks to downtown WS
- New, upscale hotels in both WS and GSO, and a huge increase in downtown shops, restaurants, and living spaces

I think we are doing just fine here in the Triad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 10:29 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
Im just curious as to why we dont see even more residential development in the downtowns particularly when there is pent up demand. Why arent developers lining up to build residential downtown. In Greensboro it seems like Roy Carroll is the only one doing anything. Apartment occupancy is well above 90% downtown and in some cases there are waiting list. You just don't see that kind of demand in the suburbs. If there are people willing to pay the higher rents downtown, the developers will make their money even if it cost more to build downtown. We will wait and see what happens over the next few years because I know there are some unannounced projects in the works. The Business Journal is also reporting that there is high interest in the News and Record property.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-15-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 10:45 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im just curious as to why we dont see even more residential development in the downtowns particularly when there is pent up demand. Why arent developers lining up to build residential downtown. In Greensboro it seems like Roy Carroll is the only one doing anything. Apartment occupancy is well above 90% downtown and in some cases there are waiting list. You just don't see that kind of demand in the suburbs. If there are people willing to pay the higher rents downtown, the developers will make their money even if it cost more to build downtown. We will wait and see what happens over the next few years because I know there are some unannounced projects in the works. The Business Journal is also reporting that there is high interest in the News and Record property.
Actually you do. In 2015, the occupancy rate for apartments in G'boro overall was 93.6%. I'm sure its even higher now.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 PM

99 posts, read 101,208 times
I think that it had something to do with not taking advantage of a good deal when the opportunity presented itself. For instance, the city was close to getting a NFL team in the 60s and a MLB team in 1998. That would have generated alot of money in tourism and trickle a chain reaction of commercial retail estate. This would eventually attract businesses to the city.

Greensboro hosting the ACC tournaments, eventually led to the building of the ACC museum.

I also think there needs to be a much stronger partnership with universities and the city to bring more jobs to the city. I know Moses Cone Hospital formed a lesson with the local university and community colleges. NC A&T is known for their engineering program. The city can work with the university to revitalize the research center and work with the school to attract companies to come to the area.

So far, both cities in the area are progressing.

Last edited by tcm1913; 09-16-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 PM

6,140 posts, read 2,843,619 times
What is it with the obsession of folks on this forum and places going boom??? What happened to the love for our wilderness areas and farms? A city doesn't have to be booming to be successful... we don't need a billon people in this state...

Old 09-16-2017, 08:56 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
Greensboro must decide what it wants to be. A bustling cosmopolitan city of the new south such as Charlotte or a much larger medium sized city with successful job growth, historic character with a lush downtown. or something in between. I like the latter, a mix between the two. Greensboro must preserve its character and historic buildings as it continues to grow. While Charlotte is a successful booming city it made some mistakes. Greensboro is making some mistakes as well. Greensboro can be short sighted and think 10 years ahead in the future instead of thinking 30 years ahead. The rails to trails is a big mistakes. While im all for greenways, im totally against ripping up rail lines for greenways like Greensboro is planning to do. What happens 20 or 30 years from now when Greensboro wants a light rail system? I think the city can still create greenways along rail lines while keeping the rails. Once the city rips up those rails its going to cost millions to replace them years down the road. Based on Greensboro's current growth rate the city would have over 500,000 people in 25 years, enough people for mass transit (local commuter rail connecting High Point and Winston-Salem) particularly if Greensboro spreads out further to the east past Whitsett closer to Burlington. The city will be over 20 miles across from east to west.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-16-2017 at 09:28 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 02:25 PM

943 posts, read 505,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
What is it with the obsession of folks on this forum and places going boom??? What happened to the love for our wilderness areas and farms? A city doesn't have to be booming to be successful... we don't need a billon people in this state...
Well the forums called CITY data. Most people on here are obsessed with cities... I'm sure there are plenty of wilderness forums or blogs if you don't enjoy it here.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Well the forums called CITY data. Most people on here are obsessed with cities... I'm sure there are plenty of wilderness forums or blogs if you don't enjoy it here.
No one said I didn't enjoy it here!

Old 09-17-2017, 03:48 PM

2,909 posts, read 2,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yes, that's the name of the forum, but the topics actually do go well beyond focusing on the most urbanized areas of cities, and also cover some very rural areas in great detail.

And it's a valid point to discuss the importance of having truly rural areas just outside of the major urban cores, while also keeping the urban areas bustling and prospering.

Specific to this thread, one advantage of the Triad over the Charlotte and Triangle areas (at least to some people) has been the ability to have a quieter, laid back feel in a good chunk of the area instead of seeing cookie cutter suburbia extend so far in all directions.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:40 PM

^^

Did a little test to see extent of suburbia using google maps measure distance tool... noticed in Raleigh the suburbs were roughly 25km out of the city center, after that not suburbs... Charlotte was terrible though, mooresville for instance is 40km form downtwon charlotte, so is kings mountain... suburbs in Charlotte extend out roughly 40km. To put that in perspecetive , if Raleigh had its suburbs that far out in all directions our southern terminus would be just south of Buies Creek... almost to Fayetteville, in which case Raleigh gets a boost and probably spurs even further south...

Atlanta and DC... roughly 50km out.... that is horrendous. Reason Triad doesnt look so bad is because its not booming... its slowly developing which is better than booming all at once.

Last edited by muslim12; 09-17-2017 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point