U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:52 PM

2,901 posts, read 2,008,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
^^

Did a little test to see extent of suburbia using google maps measure distance tool... noticed in Raleigh the suburbs were roughly 25km out of the city center, after that not suburbs... Charlotte was terrible though, mooresville for instance is 40km form downtwon charlotte, so is kings mountain... suburbs in Charlotte extend out roughly 40km. To put that in perspecetive , if Raleigh had its suburbs that far out in all directions our southern terminus would be just south of Buies Creek... almost to Fayetteville, in which case Raleigh gets a boost and probably spurs even further south...

Atlanta and DC... roughly 50km out.... that is horrendous. Reaosn Triad doesnt loom so bad is becaude its not booming... its slowly developing which is better than booming all at once.
That's very interesting and the distance may also explain at least part of the reason as to why traffic in the Triangle and Charlotte seems exponentially worse, even when accounting for both having a higher population than the Triad. About the furthest out the truly suburban areas of the Triad go is 20 km (or 12 1/2 miles), which would be the distance from downtown Greensboro to the outer area of Summerfield or Whitsett or Winston-Salem to the Bermuda Run or King area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 06:16 PM

6,133 posts, read 2,837,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's very interesting and the distance may also explain at least part of the reason as to why traffic in the Triangle and Charlotte seems exponentially worse, even when accounting for both having a higher population than the Triad. About the furthest out the truly suburban areas of the Triad go is 20 km (or 12 1/2 miles), which would be the distance from downtown Greensboro to the outer area of Summerfield or Whitsett or Winston-Salem to the Bermuda Run or King area.
With the Triangle supposed to have another million folks by 2040 I'm worried we follow Charlottes route and turn Johnston and Harnett counties upside down. That's why you preserve land close to the triangle including farmland then you encourage denser development and more affordable housing within the city. My 2 cents

Last edited by muslim12; 09-17-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM

29,871 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
^^

Did a little test to see extent of suburbia using google maps measure distance tool... noticed in Raleigh the suburbs were roughly 25km out of the city center, after that not suburbs... Charlotte was terrible though, mooresville for instance is 40km form downtwon charlotte, so is kings mountain... suburbs in Charlotte extend out roughly 40km. To put that in perspecetive , if Raleigh had its suburbs that far out in all directions our southern terminus would be just south of Buies Creek... almost to Fayetteville, in which case Raleigh gets a boost and probably spurs even further south...

Atlanta and DC... roughly 50km out.... that is horrendous. Reason Triad doesnt look so bad is because its not booming... its slowly developing which is better than booming all at once.
That's a bad way to determine the extent of suburbia, since metropolitan areas are county-based and there are rural areas in all outlying counties that, while they are included in the metro population, have very little connection to the primary urban area(s). I don't even consider Mooresville and Kings Mountain to be true suburbs; they are smaller urban nodes that have gotten swallowed up in greater Charlotte.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM

6,133 posts, read 2,837,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a bad way to determine the extent of suburbia, since metropolitan areas are county-based and there are rural areas in all outlying counties that, while they are included in the metro population, have very little connection to the primary urban area(s). I don't even consider Mooresville and Kings Mountain to be true suburbs; they are smaller urban nodes that have gotten swallowed up in greater Charlotte.
The real way to determine a suburb is to figure out how many people living in a town actually work there? No? What do you think?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 PM

211 posts, read 156,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Just my opinion, but I don't think a major league soccer team initiative alone is much of a measuring stick, nor is it alone a sound basis for growth planning. I see plenty of examples of out-of-the-box, "big" thinking in the Triad:

- Road improvements, including the WS beltway, the Union Cross/I-40 exchange, the Bus 40 upgrades in WS, and the interstate projects around GSO, among many others
- The National Cycling Center in WS, along with the events it brings
- Triad Park in Kville
- The Convention Center and Central Library renovations in WS
- The downtown greenway in GSO, the Research Park greenway in WS, and the planned Piedmont Regional Greenway that will run from Salem Lake through Triad Park to Greensboro
- The downtown construction booms in both GSO and WS
- New medical facilities in Clemmons and Kville
- The relocation of SciWorks to downtown WS
- New, upscale hotels in both WS and GSO, and a huge increase in downtown shops, restaurants, and living spaces

I think we are doing just fine here in the Triad.
I would like to add Quarry Park and LeBauer Park to your list.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 AM

29,871 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
The real way to determine a suburb is to figure out how many people living in a town actually work there? No? What do you think?
That's probably the most practical way to do it, but even then, some of these places are still more like satellite cities than true suburbs IMO.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM

239 posts, read 212,957 times
I'd say you don't see as much growth in the triad because greensboro and Winston can't stop competing with each other. Durham doesn't compete with Raleigh and Charlotte is all alone. But for some reason winston and Greensboro competes with each other when they should work together.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:32 PM

4,576 posts, read 4,393,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
I'd say you don't see as much growth in the triad because greensboro and Winston can't stop competing with each other. Durham doesn't compete with Raleigh and Charlotte is all alone. But for some reason winston and Greensboro competes with each other when they should work together.
That also seems to be reflected on the city forums as well... competition, envy, copycatting, distrust, bitterness, hatefulness you name it and both cities are guilty of it. If Greensboro and Winston-Salem started working together 20 years ago on big initiatives for the region, the cities would be much further along today.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM

2,901 posts, read 2,008,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
That also seems to be reflected on the city forums as well... competition, envy, copycatting, distrust, bitterness, hatefulness you name it and both cities are guilty of it. If Greensboro and Winston-Salem started working together 20 years ago on big initiatives for the region, the cities would be much further along today.
Well, there is Triad Park, but I agree with you that overall the cooperation has been slow to occur, and when it has it has been in baby steps:

History

Meanwhile (if you're just talking about the 3 larger Triad cities), High Point has been the proverbial red headed stepchild of the Triad.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:14 AM

424 posts, read 504,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Why hasn't the Triad exploded?

What is missing from the secret sauce in the Triad?
Greensboro specifically:

Not sure an explosion was due, but watching the city/metro lag behind the others was not fun. I remember when GSO was NC's 2nd largest city, now 3rd, and likely to be 4th in our lifetimes. That ranking doesn't mean a lot to most people, but for a native who likes to see growth and development, there is a bit of a sting.

I always wondered why Greensboro didn't focus on one thing and run with it. In the 80s, it was common to hear GSO called the "Hartford of The South" - referring to the strong presence of insurance-related companies in the area. There was Pilot Life/Jefferson Standard, then Jefferson-Pilot, Aetna, and many more companies with a major insurance presence. The other major metros in the state may have built on that insurance catalyst the way one has built on banking/finance/energy, and the other on research and technology.

Why limit the relationship to insurance companies' secondary or regional headquarters and call centers? Why not proactively develop a downtown-based insurance research institute of sorts, develop undergraduate Insurance programming at NCA&T and UNCG, have an Insurance Law program at one of the schools, and become the insurance/insurance law "backbone" for all the other HQ operations out of CLT and RTP? That could just be the core... the branding, while also looking at other job-creating opportunities. A skyscraper (never to be built) or a shopping center/business park in Kernersville is never going to be an engine in and of itself.

I also remember that the Greensboro of my youth was anti-everything: do not build a new building, widen the road, add a sidewalk, support nightlife, recruit the company, allow the national retailer, shoot for the impossible... just DON'T do it. Not here. Fortunately, Four Seasons (which used to be a major regional draw), and its conference center, were the vision of a man who had the means to do it himself - the late Joseph Koury.

It does appear things are changing for the better. Still, it seems to be built on the vision of a few people and not a collective, cohesive movement. If Roy Carroll were to stop what he's doing, is it back to square one? Has the foundation been poured for that Tanger Center? It's been over 15 years since that was proposed - - - which speaks to a-whole-nother issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point