Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:29 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
I was a college student in greensboro and It was my father who went to the college before i did, thats really the only thing that brought me to Gboro and im sure alot of others go so this area becayse of the schools. with my experience though alot of the schools are in really bad areas and after i graduated i couldnt wait to leave Gboro, ive been in Charlotte ever since. I think at least on some small factor that may be why there is this small hate for Gboro , or ppl leave. My 2 cents
That makes no sense at all. Schools in G'boro are located in all sorts of areas, just like every other city. Such nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 12:41 PM

193 posts, read 158,792 times
How is that non sense when ive experienced fellow classmates from my 5 years of being in that area who said the same exact thing im saying? As well I said this was my experience specifically so im only speaking for myself

Old 10-17-2017, 02:28 PM

475 posts, read 685,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Make no mistake Greensboro covets its position being the largest city in the Triad and third largest in the state and is very protective of those positions...
It wasn't protective (or proactive) enough to slip from 2nd to 3rd in the state, (and probably 3rd to 4th) in our lifetimes.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:46 PM

185 posts, read 199,279 times
just wondering if something good could ever come of kernersville and Greensboro working together or Winston and kernersville working together. It seems I Just hear that Winston and Greensboro needs to work together. Which brings me to this thought...I wonder if either Winston or Greensboro has ever tried to take over kernersville in the past thru a annex or anything.?

Old 10-17-2017, 04:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
I agree things seemed to be more inflamed on the message boards (mainly hatred towards Greensboro) but I have seen isolated situations where some Greensboro leaders have made remarks in the past basically saying if Greensboro didnt get its act together Winston-Salem was going to catch up. Make no mistake Greensboro covets its position being the largest city in the Triad and third largest in the state and is very protective of those positions. That's why about 10 years ago Greensboro did a mass annexation adding almost 30,000 people shortly after Winston-Salem did the same thing adding about the same number of people. So it ended up being a wash instead of Winston-Salem closing the population gap. Many in city hall thought Winston-Salem was getting too close to Greensboro in population and they feared this order was coming (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point). Greensboro purposely did that before the 2010 census. This is why we have been seeing big jumps in population in Greensboro every 10 years. In 17 years since the 2000 census Greensboro has gained over 50,000 people. Between 1999 and 2000, Greensboro's population jumped from 199,000 to 228,000 again right before a census year. Because of recent changes in annexation laws we wont be seeing this happen again any time soon. But Greensboro is now in total fear that Durham will take its position being third largest in the state which is on track to happen over the next 10 to 15 years unless Greensboro's growth rate begins to grow faster.
While I understand the concern over not wanting to get bumped in population by a "competing" city, it's probably a misplaced strategy to put so much emphasis on that. For instance, Jacksonville, FL has more people in its city limits than Miami and Orlando combined, but it's hard to argue that Jacksonville is the most prominent city in Florida. I realize this is not a NC example, but the same thought holds true for its cities.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
How is that non sense when ive experienced fellow classmates from my 5 years of being in that area who said the same exact thing im saying? As well I said this was my experience specifically so im only speaking for myself
Some of the colleges in Greensboro are in bad areas, but not all of them.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:11 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
While I understand the concern over not wanting to get bumped in population by a "competing" city, it's probably a misplaced strategy to put so much emphasis on that. For instance, Jacksonville, FL has more people in its city limits than Miami and Orlando combined, but it's hard to argue that Jacksonville is the most prominent city in Florida. I realize this is not a NC example, but the same thought holds true for its cities.
Didn't Louisville do the same thing, merge with the county? Because of that its population is over 600,000 I think. Also some people find it shocking that Virginia Beach has over 500, 000 people yet it lacks the feel of a city of half a million people. Its bigger than Richmond yet Richmond has a more urban dense downtown. Heck Greensboro is bigger than Richmond and its downtown is bigger and more dense than Greensboro's

Old 10-18-2017, 05:09 AM

193 posts, read 158,792 times
very true not all of them agreed

Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
just wondering if something good could ever come of kernersville and Greensboro working together or Winston and kernersville working together. It seems I Just hear that Winston and Greensboro needs to work together. Which brings me to this thought...I wonder if either Winston or Greensboro has ever tried to take over kernersville in the past thru a annex or anything.?
Not possible. Cities can't annex other cities. Or "take them over" in any other way.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 AM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
Quote:
Didn't Louisville do the same thing, merge with the county?
Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point