Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,622 times

Advertisements

I know there are a ton of moving threads and they have been helpful but I am concerned about something more specific.
My husband is in the interview process for a job in Elon. Don’t even know if it will happen but I am very organized and have been checking things out! The details... we are 49&50. I have looked at real estate in parts of Greensboro, Browns Summit, Gibsonville, Whitsett, Elon, Burlington and Mebane ( my husband does not want more than a 30 minute commute) we grew up in small towns and have lived in several larger cities. We like both seniaros so we would be ok with any size city/town. More about the feel we would get. Anyway, my concern, if this were to happen, is that I have a son that is Mexican AND learning disabled. He is 26 and very high functioning. Someday( soon)he will be able to live on his own but it will have to be near us, so he would be coming with us. I’m not trying to insult or offend anyone or your state. We’ve been to Asheville and loved it! With that being said, I read one thing and it’s “love it here” then I read an article about a professor who went to Canada due to fear and racism. Then “everyone is so friendly and so welcoming” then NC ranks 11th in the US in hate groups. Then “safe and beautiful... ocean to the East, mountains to the West” Then I read where a woman took her Hispanic son to a Barber and was told “ his kind isn’t welcome here” Which just amazed and disgusted me! Anyway, you get the gist. Give it to be straight!
My husband and I are both white and honestly, take my son out of the equation and we wouldn’t want to live in a racist, intolerant area regardless. I hate what is going on in the world! I hate racism! I hate the “N” word! Don’t think I’m ignorant. I’m not wearing rose colored glasses. I know it’s everywhere. I see it where I live. But safety and fear in the place you call home is a totally different story! Thanks in advance for your 2 cents.

Last edited by krismk16; 10-01-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 04:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,620,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismk16 View Post
...my concern.. is that I have a son that is Mexican AND learning disabled.
He is 26 and very high functioning. Someday( soon)he will be able to live on his own
but it will have to be near us, so he would be coming with us.
Start your search around the availability and quality (and costs) of the sort of housing
and other services that will suit the needs of your learning disabled 26yo. Fill in the rest around that.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Thanks for your response, Mr. Rational. Just to clarify, I’m not concerned about finding a place for my son to live. That is 2-3 years away. If this job/move happens, I will be familiar with the area and programs for him and can make an informed decision at that time. I’m just not sure about a move in general because of his ethnicity. Would we be welcomed? Would we feel safe? Has anyone, locals or transplants,experienced anything but niceness? We’d be “Northerners” as well! LOL

Old 10-01-2017, 06:13 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,250,934 times
I hear what you are saying.

NC _overall_ is pretty welcoming to all sorts of different people, but there are pockets where you will find racism, just like anywhere.

I would live in Greensboro.

The small towns around Elon are fairly conservative. There are some very friendly people, but it's not surprising to see a Confederate flag or two in Alamance County, in particular. There's a particularly hilariously named group called "ACTBAC" which stands for "Alamance County Taking Back Alamance County" (no, really), which has been called a hate group by some. They are all about the Confederate flag and the statues. I think that's really just a small group in Alamance, though, and most folks there are very nice and very kind.

There are some cool little spots in Alamance like Saxapahaw and Mebane has some fun stuff, but you occasionally run up against those ACTBAC-er type folks, too. Saxapahaw is a very, sweet, funky little corner of the world (my kid goes to a charter school there), but we do pass a couple of trailers on the way in with Confederate flags flying.

Elon, itself is okay. My kids have had friends who live there and there are some nice neighborhoods and good shopping. Plenty of Hispanic people live in Alamance County, too, but if you're looking for more diversity I'd look closer to Greensboro and be cautious about the rural areas. Burlington does have a pretty high percentage of Hispanic population, fwiw.

Greensboro (Guilford County) is pretty diverse and is a resettlement center for refugees from many parts of the world. You can use City-Data to look at the racial make-up of the areas you're considering.

I think you will find more services for your son in Greensboro/Guilford County as well.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:11 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,173,851 times
Yes. The bigger the city the more accepting people are culturally. Greensboro is diverse and you'll find a decent Latino population as oppose to a rural town on the outskirts. Not trying to stereotype small towns in North Carolina but racism is more prevalent. In the Triad area Davidson and Randolph counties are the worst. But honestly you'll find that kind of element everywhere. Some areas are just worse than others.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:23 AM

239 posts, read 304,461 times
Elon and Burlington and whitsett are actually very diverse so you should be fine there mebane not so much.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 4,094 times
I personally feel like NC in general is pretty welcoming ( I'm French and my husband is Peruvian ) and we've been in Greensboro for a little over a year and so far everyone we have met has been very welcoming and no one has had problems with us being immigrants and English not being our first language. yes, I'm still trying to get use to the " real" southern accent lol ( we lived in Florida before NC ) but overall I have been impressed by NC peeps. I love the ways of living here and how everyone is so nice and warm and welcoming and everyone's acceptance for people just being human beings and not caring what color, sex or religion your neighbor is. Or at least, that is how I see things so far. I love it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point