U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 AM

23,622 posts, read 17,606,575 times

Advertisements

I'm also around your age and from out in the sticks in east TN and I'm looking to get out for several reasons - lack of quality jobs, poor dating prospects, isolation from other areas, etc. I'm an hour and a half away from Knoxville so even getting that far is a chore for me.

What were your general impressions of the area? I'm looking for something a little more upscale and "newer" - outside of some parts of west Knoxville, most of east TN is very poor and dated feeling. I spent 2014-2016 in Carmel, IN and also spent a year in Des Moines, and while I doubt I will find anything that nice, I'd at least like a newer suburb.

From what I've seen, there's quite a bit of recreational water nearby. That's a big plus and the area is fairly close to the mountains over near Boone. Cost of living seems a lot less than Charlotte or Raleigh.

OP, what field do you work in, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get some pointers and am planning on taking a trip over there myself in a couple of weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 09:21 AM

649 posts, read 244,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm also around your age and from out in the sticks in east TN and I'm looking to get out for several reasons - lack of quality jobs, poor dating prospects, isolation from other areas, etc. I'm an hour and a half away from Knoxville so even getting that far is a chore for me.

What were your general impressions of the area? I'm looking for something a little more upscale and "newer" - outside of some parts of west Knoxville, most of east TN is very poor and dated feeling. I spent 2014-2016 in Carmel, IN and also spent a year in Des Moines, and while I doubt I will find anything that nice, I'd at least like a newer suburb.

From what I've seen, there's quite a bit of recreational water nearby. That's a big plus and the area is fairly close to the mountains over near Boone. Cost of living seems a lot less than Charlotte or Raleigh.

OP, what field do you work in, if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get some pointers and am planning on taking a trip over there myself in a couple of weekends.
Very similar situation I ended up in Middle TN - Nashville is about 1.5 hours away from my current town. 3 years of having to drive over an hour to find something worthwhile to do...ugghh. I agree about the crappy dating prospects as well of these small towns; I met my girlfriend almost 4 hours away in Knoxville haha. Otherwise, the few local single women are crazy and/or never want to leave the area and want kids ASAP....no thank you lol.

West side of Greensboro definitely seems to have some "newer" stuff - I can't speak for the houses, but the Piedmont Place and Lafayette Landing apartments are very new (built in the past couple of years I think). We ended up picking Crowne Gardens, which are a little older, but we got one of their recently renovated units

So far I've only spent two weekends in Greensboro, and a lot of that time was spent apartment hunting (1st weekend) and getting things set up in the new place (2nd weekend). However, I have had a chance to do some exploring. I've spent time downtown and in the west suburbs; I like what I've seen so far. Nice people around and it's pretty diverse, even in the suburbs. Downtown has a lot going well for it, and it seems like they're putting more work into it. Multiple fun breweries and night clubs to choose from. My girlfriend is visiting the area for her first time this coming weekend, so I'm looking forward to her impressions of it. Overall, I prefer Asheville, however I couldn't find what I wanted there career-wise.

I've worked as a Manufacturing Engineer at a few different companies over the past seven years. The new job is Process Engineer. I was specifically targeting jobs that are geared more towards tooling design and new product launches with this search, and from the interview this seems to fit the bill.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Default 6th Month Update

Just want to say thanks again to all who provided advice in this thread. We've now been living here 6 months (getting close to 7), so I figured I'd provide some initial thoughts on the area and NC in general.

The Good
  • Very Friendly People - We both lived in TN before moving here. Although those folks were friendly as well, we've felt that the people here are more genuine about it
  • Close proximity to both beach (3.5 hours) and mountains (2-2.5 hours) - we absolutely love this! I lean more towards mountains, while my girlfriend leans more towards beaches, so this is a great compromise for us.
  • Greensboro has a lot going for itself - there seems like there's always an event going on somewhere in town, even if things aren't to the scale of RDU or CLT
  • "Rush hour" is a joke here - compared to Tampa where I grew up, GSO is extremely easy to navigate during any time of day.
  • We love the growing craft beer scene locally and all around NC
  • Large variety of cities within driving distance, and each have their own personality
  • Tons of great places to eat here in town
  • Very fun nightlife downtown! Not the best out there, but still more than enough to it.
  • We love visiting the neighborhoods/areas around Spring Garden & Chapman, Tate & Spring Garden, and Battleground just north of Wendover. There's lots of stuff to do and places to eat at if we're not in the mood for downtown.

The Bad
  • GSO airport flight choices - usually expensive and/or very limited schedules & destinations. Only good deals are on Allegiant going to Tampa or Orlando... but only certain days of the week. We're otherwise stuck having to drive to CLT or RDU.
  • State income taxes - blehhhh. If I had to pick, I'd rather have a higher sales tax
  • The ridiculous vehicle registration fees/taxes - had to pay $400+ to register a 7-year old Hyundai with 200k+miles back in November. Also, just bought a new car last month and got a "surprise" bill in the mail the other day from Guilford & Greensboro collectively wanting over $500 in property tax BS to finish registration on it, in addition to the taxes I already paid at the time of purchase - and that property tax part is required every friggin' year (albeit progressively slightly less each time with depreciation) for renewal. I remember in TN it was something more reasonable like $60-65 per year for both initial registration and renewals.

Overall, much more positive to say about the area then negative, so we're very happy here .

Last edited by BrianGC; 05-09-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 02:45 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,238,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Just want to say thanks again to all who provided advice in this thread. We've now been living here 6 months (getting close to 7), so I figured I'd provide some initial thoughts on the area and NC in general.

The Good
  • Very Friendly People - We both lived in TN before moving here. Although those folks were friendly as well, we've felt that the people here are more genuine about it
  • Close proximity to both beach (3.5 hours) and mountains (2-2.5 hours) - we absolutely love this! I lean more towards mountains, while my girlfriend leans more towards beaches, so this is a great compromise for us.
  • Greensboro has a lot going for itself - there seems like there's always an event going on somewhere in town, even if things aren't to the scale of RDU or CLT
  • "Rush hour" is a joke here - compared to Tampa where I grew up, GSO is extremely easy to navigate during any time of day.
  • We love the growing craft beer scene locally and all around NC
  • Large variety of cities within driving distance, and each have their own personality
  • Tons of great places to eat here in town
  • Very fun nightlife downtown! Not the best out there, but still more than enough to it.
  • We love visiting the neighborhoods/areas around Spring Garden & Chapman, Tate & Spring Garden, and Battleground just north of Wendover. There's lots of stuff to do and places to eat at if we're not in the mood for downtown.

The Bad
  • GSO airport flight choices - usually expensive and/or very limited schedules & destinations. Only good deals are on Allegiant going to Tampa or Orlando... but only certain days of the week. We're otherwise stuck having to drive to CLT or RDU.
  • State income taxes - blehhhh. If I had to pick, I'd rather have a higher sales tax
  • The ridiculous vehicle registration fees/taxes - had to pay $400+ to register a 7-year old Hyundai with 200k+miles back in November. Also, just bought a new car last month and got a "surprise" bill in the mail the other day from Guilford & Greensboro collectively wanting over $500 in property tax BS to finish registration on it, in addition to the taxes I already paid at the time of purchase - and that property tax part is required every friggin' year (albeit progressively slightly less each time with depreciation) for renewal. I remember in TN it was something more reasonable like $60-65 per year for both initial registration and renewals.

Overall, much more positive to say about the area then negative, so we're very happy here .
Yeah, the property tax on vehicles is absolutely ridiculous! It was a tough pill to swallow when I got my car registered (it was three years old at the time) - nobody warned me I was having to pay personal property tax on my vehicle at the same time of having to pay registration fees. I think I had to pay well over $400 that day, and I really didn't have it to spend.

It's gone down since then, but it's still outrageous, especially for a 7 year old car.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, the property tax on vehicles is absolutely ridiculous! It was a tough pill to swallow when I got my car registered (it was three years old at the time) - nobody warned me I was having to pay personal property tax on my vehicle at the same time of having to pay registration fees. I think I had to pay well over $400 that day, and I really didn't have it to spend.

It's gone down since then, but it's still outrageous, especially for a 7 year old car.
(I meant to respond a couple weeks ago LOL) I got lucky that I had a generous relocation package when I moved to help cover stuff like that, but the registration nonsense is still crap to me. You're basically getting re-taxed on a vehicle you already paid tax on before you moved here. And for a new purchase, although the HUT + property is cheaper than having a sales tax on the vehicle initially, it screws those of us who are long-term vehicle owners (8-10 years in my case). The amount will eventually catch up and surpass what the sales tax would've been, unless you leave the state after a year or two.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:43 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Quote:
(I meant to respond a couple weeks ago LOL) I got lucky that I had a generous relocation package when I moved to help cover stuff like that, but the registration nonsense is still crap to me. You're basically getting re-taxed on a vehicle you already paid tax on before you moved here. And for a new purchase, although the HUT + property is cheaper than having a sales tax on the vehicle initially, it screws those of us who are long-term vehicle owners (8-10 years in my case). The amount will eventually catch up and surpass what the sales tax would've been, unless you leave the state after a year or two.
You are aware the HUT is a one time thing, not an annual tax, right? Just providing clarification, not attempting to be snarky or confrontational.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You are aware the HUT is a one time thing, not an annual tax, right? Just providing clarification, not attempting to be snarky or confrontational.
Oh yeah I know. I was referring to the property tax as reoccurring.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:24 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,238,850 times
Quote:
I don't really get personal property tax on vehicles anyway. The way I see it, if you already have paid sales tax on the car, that should be enough.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 PM

4,597 posts, read 4,414,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Definitelyrics check outhe the rail yard district in greensboro downtown, has fat Tuesdays and the boxcar arcade right across along with a slew of dive bars and random eateries.

It's an awesome spot.
I agree and there are plans for a bowling alley/restaurant bar in the rail yard district downtown. The Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts which is under construction downtown will host Broadway shows with a host of many different music concerts. As far as nightlife, Greensboro is your choice and it's not just the downtown area. There are pockets of nightlife all over the city including midtown. Also Spring Garden Street just west of UNCG looks like downtown on the weekends with restaurants, bars and live music venues.

You have a lot of options BrianGC

Old 05-26-2018, 03:57 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't really get personal property tax on vehicles anyway. The way I see it, if you already have paid sales tax on the car, that should be enough.
NC doesn't charge sales tax on vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or