Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:06 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,144,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I can't place the Guilford Mills W. Wendover property, but I do actually remember the Pomona mill on Spring Garden Street. It think it was called Cotton Mill Square, and may have been called something else before that. I remember buying shoes there and there was one of those peanut/popcorn kiosks somewhere in the aisles that smelled so wonderful. It was definitely ahead of its time before the reuse of mills became as popular as it is becoming today.
A large shopping center sits where Guilford Mills was not too far from I-40. Cotton Mill Square was called Greensboro Outlet Mall. I still hate Cotton Mill Square was torn down. There was another mill off of Spring Garden Street on Howard St near the coliseum. I think it was called Rolane. That building still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
It's the one at the corner of Fairview and 9th. After some Googling, it seems to be referred to as the Proximity Printworks Mill. It appears to be slated for a redevelopment similar to Revolution Mill.

Abandoned Greensboro mill to be redeveloped into apartments, retail | myfox8.com
The Proximity Mill is across from the Revolution Mill. Cone Mills had a complex of three mills (Revolution, Proximity and White Oak which is the one thats about to close.)

Most of the big cities in NC had families that basically built those cities. In Durham it was the Duke family, in Winston-Salem it was the Reynolds family and in Greensboro it was the Cone family. A number of Moses and Ceasar Cone's (the Cone Brothers) descendants still live in Greensboro today with the Cone name.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-25-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The Proximity Mill is across from the Revolution Mill. Cone Mills had a complex of three mills (Revolution, Proximity and White Oak which is the one thats about to close.)

Most of the big cities in NC had families that basically built those cities. In Durham it was the Duke family, in Winston-Salem it was the Reynolds family and in Greensboro it was the Cone family. A number of Moses and Ceasar Cone's (the Cone Brothers) descendants still live in Greensboro today with the Cone name.
The descendants would be Ceasar's and possibly other siblings'.

Moses and Bertha had no children. That's one reason the Cone Manor House (aka Flat Top Manor) outside Blowing Rock belongs the the National Park Service. Upon her death in 1947, Bertha bequeathed the manor house and its 3,600 acres to Cone Hospital in Greensboro, whose board subsequently donated the property to the NPS in 1949.

Moses and Ceasar had 5 other siblings. Two younger sisters were the well-known art collectors, Claribel and Etta. I don't know anything about the other 3.

Last edited by roadpony; 10-25-2017 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 07:40 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,553,311 times
Quote:
A large shopping center sits where Guilford Mills was not too far from I-40. Cotton Mill Square was called Greensboro Outlet Mall. I still hate Cotton Mill Square was torn down. There was another mill off of Spring Garden Street on Howard St near the coliseum. I think it was called Rolane. That building still stands.
Thank you. I know which building you're talking about, right here:

https://goo.gl/maps/Jkg31nPinKA2

Old 10-25-2017, 08:45 PM

239 posts, read 303,377 times
I wonder what they will make this last milll into?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM

14 posts, read 24,922 times
Quote:
The Rolane property was originally the Mock, Judson, and Voehringer Hosiery Mill. It was founded around 1927, and there is a thorough wikipedia article about it. Unfortunately, it is run down and not in a great location in my opinion.

Here is Benjamin Brigg's take on it, circa 2010:

https://preservationgreensboro.org/m...ation-project/

Last edited by StepandFetch; 10-25-2017 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 AM

Just think if many of those mills were downtown. The center-city would have a more aged "industrial" feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point