U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:10 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Reputation: 5345

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1999 View Post
Not questioning the bidding war tactic. Companies do that all the time. Heck Amazon is about to write the book on it.
Yes, but another poster questioned why Toyota/Mazda would tell states they were eliminated, under the supposition that having more states bidding would drive up the incentives. I was merely pointing out to him why that isn't necessarily the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1999 View Post
Personally, I don't understand why we wouldn't just give them the billion they're asking for. It's worth it.
Political blowback, for one reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM
 
64 posts, read 47,506 times
Reputation: 50
All Cooper has to do is post all of the stories on the internet of how auto plants have transformed certain regions/states. People need to realize the types of numbers we're talking about. When Metlife announced they were coming with 2,600 good paying jobs split between Charlotte and Cary, everyone was celebrating. Metlife was making a 125mil investment between both sites. Sounds good right? The Toyota/Mazda plant is 1.6B....with a B. and 4,000 jobs. That's before we even get to the suppliers. We don't have a supplier network setup to support an auto plant. We'd have to develop one over time. How many more businesses and jobs will that create?? We could be talking about tens of thousands of new jobs. I read the article about Honda moving into Alabama. They attribute the plant to creating over 43k jobs since it's been there. That's insane.

Honda Alabama economic impact: $6.8 billion in 2014 | Made in Alabama: Alabama Department of Commerce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:24 PM
 
29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Reputation: 18534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1999 View Post
Personally, I don't understand why we wouldn't just give them the billion they're asking for. It's worth it.
That would be very un-strategic on the part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:30 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1999 View Post
All Cooper has to do is post all of the stories on the internet of how auto plants have transformed certain regions/states. People need to realize the types of numbers we're talking about. When Metlife announced they were coming with 2,600 good paying jobs split between Charlotte and Cary, everyone was celebrating. Metlife was making a 125mil investment between both sites. Sounds good right? The Toyota/Mazda plant is 1.6B....with a B. and 4,000 jobs. That's before we even get to the suppliers. We don't have a supplier network setup to support an auto plant. We'd have to develop one over time. How many more businesses and jobs will that create?? We could be talking about tens of thousands of new jobs. I read the article about Honda moving into Alabama. They attribute the plant to creating over 43k jobs since it's been there. That's insane.

Honda Alabama economic impact: $6.8 billion in 2014 | Made in Alabama: Alabama Department of Commerce
Cooper? He has no power to do anything. Berger and Moore control what kind of incentives are offered for this project. And after spending years railing against "corporate welfare" and staking their political careers on the concept that lowering taxes for everyone is the best incentive, it will be mighty hard (politically) for them and their colleagues in the General Assembly to do an about face and throw a billion dollars at Toyota/Mazda.

I'm not arguing the benefits of this project, or whether its worth a big incentive package, I'm merely pointing out the political reality, which can't be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 PM
 
64 posts, read 47,506 times
Reputation: 50
If the politics haven't changed, why would Toyota/Mazda waste their time? They could have easily pitted Alabama and SC against each other. They have as much to gain in this as NC does politically. Those 13 congressional votes mean something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 05:22 PM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,536,833 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Unless they made a mistake in the article headline, it says Rocky Mount will miss out and I think its in Edgecombe County.
I am saying that they may have made a mistake. They only reference a WRAL story as a source for the Edgecombe site being out, and the story they cite says no such thing.

It may well be out, but no source I can find actually says that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,651 posts, read 3,051,271 times
Reputation: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
I am saying that they may have made a mistake. They only reference a WRAL story as a source for the Edgecombe site being out, and the story they cite says no such thing.

It may well be out, but no source I can find actually says that it is.
If there's any area of the state that needs that kind of jobs boost, it's eastern NC. Realistically however, the Triad is the best area for it.

I seriously doubt Edgecombe is even in the running anymore, especially with the uncertainty surrounding the planned CSX hub in Rocky Mount.

Either way, as long as NC gets the plant I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,598 posts, read 4,414,501 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
If there's any area of the state that needs that kind of jobs boost, it's eastern NC. Realistically however, the Triad is the best area for it.

I seriously doubt Edgecombe is even in the running anymore, especially with the uncertainty surrounding the planned CSX hub in Rocky Mount.

Either way, as long as NC gets the plant I'm happy.
Agreed. The Triad has always been the state's big manufacturing region and being centrally located, Toyota-Mazda can also draw talent from the Triangle and Charlotte areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 05:59 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
624 posts, read 386,421 times
Reputation: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
If there's any area of the state that needs that kind of jobs boost, it's eastern NC. Realistically however, the Triad is the best area for it.

I seriously doubt Edgecombe is even in the running anymore, especially with the uncertainty surrounding the planned CSX hub in Rocky Mount.

Either way, as long as NC gets the plant I'm happy.
I agree that Eastern NC needs it more than the Triad. But this area of SE Guilford and NE Randolph county need it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 05:33 PM
 
35 posts, read 22,439 times
Reputation: 31
Starting to feel like this may actually happen. Would be terrific for a Triad area that already is showing a lot of momentum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top