U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 07:37 PM

4,702 posts, read 3,082,122 times

Advertisements

Funny thing is that when Volvo was looking to build their new plant, they didn't seem to have an issue with NC's supply chain logistics. It was the incentives (or lack of). To Pat McCrory's credit, he tried to get the General Assembly to loosen the purse strings to lure Volvo, but they refused and practically gift-wrapped Volvo for South Carolina.

I'm willing to bet that incentives were a MUCH bigger factor. Alabama may indeed have superior logistics, but I find it hard to believe that NC's logistics is as p*ss poor as it's made out to be. Poor logistics should've knocked NC out of contention immediately.

I can't wait to hear Berger give his statement on this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,331,208 times
If I understand correctly, the largest incentive package in NC was to MetLife for Charlotte & Cary for 83
Million. 1,000,000,000 incentive package would be leagues bigger than any incentive package the rest of any area of the state has received it would be grossly unfair.

A few weeks ago, 5 million in incentives were offered to bring over 600 manufacturing jobs to three counties. Thatís impactful and not a huge sum of money.

We arenít Alabama. We donít need to spend billions for jobs. They need to. NC already has a booming economy

Old 01-09-2018, 09:01 PM

65 posts, read 39,395 times
Very disappointing NC lost this one!
What will go into that huge site now?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 PM

424 posts, read 296,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
If I understand correctly, the largest incentive package in NC was to MetLife for Charlotte & Cary for 83
Million. 1,000,000,000 incentive package would be leagues bigger than any incentive package the rest of any area of the state has received it would be grossly unfair.

A few weeks ago, 5 million in incentives were offered to bring over 600 manufacturing jobs to three counties. That’s impactful and not a huge sum of money.

We aren’t Alabama. We don’t need to spend billions for jobs. They need to. NC already has a booming economy
I was going to say, when I read that Toyota was looking $1+ billion in incentives, I had a feeling NC would end up coming in second. This would have been a huge boost to the local economy. But for a billion dollars, would that have been worth it? I'm honestly not so sure about that. You're talking a quarter of a million dollars PER JOB.

It wasn't very long ago that one of Toyota's biggest suppliers announced a new plant that happened to be in Huntsville. Sounds like the cat had been out of the bag on this one. At the end of the day, it sounds like incentives helped and logistics pushed Alabama over the edge (for a large plant like this, logistics could be the difference between millions of dollars per year).

But man, it would have been nice to have 4000 new jobs here (which inevitably would have led to other jobs).

Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 PM

837 posts, read 1,030,850 times
I get that the site has Greensboro in its name...but isn't it like 35 miles from Greensboro.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:40 AM

4,702 posts, read 3,082,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guy View Post
Very disappointing NC lost this one!
What will go into that huge site now?
Nothing that I'm aware of for the time being. For now, it's back to the drawing board.

And yes, this is very disappointing. November can't come soon enough. With any luck, I'll be moved back to NC by then and I'll be more than happy to help give the GOP their pink slips.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:10 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,480,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
What do you think is the real reason?
Incentives.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:53 AM

837 posts, read 1,030,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Incentives.
the fact that Alabama and Huntersville has an established connection with toyota, the fact that the site is near toyota engine plant, which toyota recently spent 136 million to upgrade.

North Carolina sadly never stood a chance.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 AM

222 posts, read 162,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
But Greensboro is between Charlotte and Raleigh
Why do I feel like you are happy about this?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM

224 posts, read 270,980 times
Alabama is having a good week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMike View Post
Yíall reading too much into it. BOCAR is coming to Huntsville (Tier 1 auto parts supplier) and bringing 300 jobs. They are a Toyota supplier and the site is extremely close to the megasite. Just google it.

By the way, theyíve been out on the Huntsville megasite drilling and talking to local farmers. Just google that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or