U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 PM

5,272 posts, read 3,313,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So the article says SC and Georgia are likely the other two states on the short list.
Dang, if Georgia gets this and Amazon's HQ2, they would be on a roll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:41 PM

624 posts, read 384,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
In fact only 4 or 5 miles south of Greensboro which will also be providing water to the site. Its on the county line on the Randolph side but this is more of a Greensboro area site. Its like the industrial parks in Whitsett. They are technically not in Greensboro city limits but the city provides water and many businesses use a Greensboro address. The Megasite is within Greensboro annexation territory and cities can annex into other counties. High Point has annexed into Davidson County, Kernersville and Burlington have both annexed into Guilford County.
It's more than just 4 or 5 miles trust me on that. I grew up in that area and my family still lives there. The city started over 20 years ago by laying down water and sewer almost all the way down Liberty Rd offering people to get in on the service and to get off well water.

It's a little too far for Greensboro just to annex the property all the way down to the megasite, as of right now they have only annexed as far as Pleasant Garden and Liberty Rd. So that means they still have along way to go and if they try that then Forest Oaks and Julian might just incorporate like Pleasant Garden did 25 years ago.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,398,216 times
Just check the distance and from Greensboro city limit to the Megasite its equivalent to driving 2/3rd across Greensboro so its not far at all. Any property that is hooked up to Greensboro city water will eventually be annexed into Greensboro and with a Toyota plant being built down there you can expect other development and housing happening in between. Also Greensboro has done several "island" annexations meaning land that has been annexed by the city but is not contiguous with the rest if the city.

Opponents of the Megasite also have listed facts on one if its websites that the city of Greensboro plans to annex the property,
at least eventually . And if they are hooking city sewer and water to the Megasite, they should. However in order for Greensboro to annex the property it has to be within 3 miles of the city limits for a non contiguous annexation. Greensboro has been expanded further down in the Forest Oaks area so its a matter of time. Again that shouldn't take too long because an autoplant will help attract development and enough housing in between for further annexation southward. I dont think Forest Oaks will incorporate because if they were concerned about Greensboro annexing them they would have already incorporated. Like I stated the city has been growing that way and only a mile and a half separates Greensboro from Forest Oaks.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/NorthCaroli...to_destroy_my/

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-25-2017 at 09:38 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Just check the distance and from Greensboro city limit to the Megasite its equivalent to driving 2/3rd across Greensboro so its not far at all. Any property that is hooked up to Greensboro city water will eventually be annexed into Greensboro and with a Toyota plant being built down there you can expect other development and housing happening in between. Also Greensboro has done several "island" annexations meaning land that has been annexed by the city but is not contiguous with the rest if the city.

Opponents of the Megasite also have listed facts on one if its websites that the city of Greensboro plans to annex the property,
at least eventually . And if they are hooking city sewer and water to the Megasite, they should. However in order for Greensboro to annex the property it has to be within 3 miles of the city limits for a non contiguous annexation. Greensboro has been expanded further down in the Forest Oaks area so its a matter of time. Again that shouldn't take too long because an autoplant will help attract development and enough housing in between for further annexation southward. I dont think Forest Oaks will incorporate because if they were concerned about Greensboro annexing them they would have already incorporated. Like I stated the city has been growing that way and only a mile and a half separates Greensboro from Forest Oaks.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/NorthCaroli...to_destroy_my/
What city limit are you talking about, are you talking about the loop around Greensboro or the actual city? I can tell you for a fact that this site is much farther than 3 miles from any boundary with Greensboro. I can see Liberty actually expanding up to the boundary before Greensboro will ever annex this site.

Also Greensboro has not actually expanded anywhere close to the Forest Oaks area at all. They have done sewer and water but that's it and I know that for a fact because I grew up on Liberty Rd, my aunt lives in Forest Oaks, I have a house on the corner of Field Horney and Liberty Rd. 1 1/2 miles by air from the loop to Forest Oaks yes but that's it.

http://www.zipmap.net/North_Carolina...Greensboro.htm

Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 AM

Actually they have. The city of Greensboro annexed the entire loop which is less than two miles from Forest Oaks. That's what I was referring to.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:05 AM

One hint that the Greensboro mega site is the frontrunner, we are seeing all this activity and helicopters there but none at the other mega sites. I really do hope we land this.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 AM

214 posts, read 157,011 times
I wonder if any decision has been made about upgrading 421 to interstate standards to connect 85 to 95.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Actually they have. The city of Greensboro annexed the entire loop which is less than two miles from Forest Oaks. That's what I was referring to.
That's exactly what I said. They annexed the whole stupid loop, and yes I am still pissed off about it because they took 5 acres of my family's property build the loop.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I wonder if any decision has been made about upgrading 421 to interstate standards to connect 85 to 95.
How would you connect 85 to 95, you got me curious on this. They connect around the Richmond area.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:00 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,432,715 times
Quote:
In fact only 4 or 5 miles south of Greensboro which will also be providing water to the site. Its on the county line on the Randolph side but this is more of a Greensboro area site. Its like the industrial parks in Whitsett. They are technically not in Greensboro city limits but the city provides water and many businesses use a Greensboro address. The Megasite is within Greensboro annexation territory and cities can annex into other counties. High Point has annexed into Davidson County, Kernersville and Burlington have both annexed into Guilford County.
The Megasite is 9 miles from the nearest G'boro city limits, but thats irrelevant. Any agreement to locate there is going to have a no annexation clause in it, at least for a long period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or