U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM

4,601 posts, read 4,420,047 times

Advertisements

From what I understand, only North Carolina and South Carolina are left in the running.

It appears that North Carolina and in particular the Greensboro-Randolph site is the front runner. What makes this plant different is that it will also be manufacturing electric cars.

"North Carolina officials touted the Randolph site for an array of major industrial plants, including Airbus, Mercedes and Volvo projects, but were never able to land a factory.
“That site has been the bridesmaid for several trophy projects,” Boyd said, adding that Toyota-Mazda probably leaned toward North Carolina in part because they have no operations in the state. Locating a plant there would help cement relations with the state’s congressional delegation."

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-13-2017 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM

4,601 posts, read 4,420,047 times
Here is another article and more people are thinking NC will win the Toyota Mazda plant. Toyota doesn't really build plants in states that already have Toyota plants and the reason is politics, getting as many governors and senators on their side. North Carolina has no auto plants which is what works in our favor. If this plant comes to the Greensboro Randolph megasite it will bring national attention to our area because this has been a pretty big economic story across the country. In addition to 4,000 plant jobs, there would be thousands of indirect jobs through suppliers and other associated industries coming to the area. With the joint Toyota/Mazda venture it would also be the only plant in the United States that manufacturersome Mazadas. The plant is expected to be open in 2021.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/where...nd-dean-barber

Old 11-14-2017, 01:31 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,057,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Here is another article and more people are thinking NC will win the Toyota Mazda plant. Toyota doesn't really build plants in states that already have Toyota plants and the reason is politics, getting as many governors and senators on their side. North Carolina has no auto plants which is what works in our favor. If this plant comes to the Greensboro Randolph megasite it will bring national attention to our area because this has been a pretty big economic story across the country. In addition to 4,000 plant jobs, there would be thousands of indirect jobs through suppliers and other associated industries coming to the area. With the joint Toyota/Mazda venture it would also be the only plant in the United States that manufacturersome Mazadas. The plant is expected to be open in 2021.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/where...nd-dean-barber
Let's hope the State pulls this off. 4000 plant jobs would be AWESOME for NC!!!! Fingers crossed 🤞

Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 AM

239 posts, read 213,956 times
We are assuming even if they pick Nc they will pick the Greensboro Randolph site but they might not. They could pick the Chatham county site or the silver city site to be closer to raliegh. I'm getting nervous that Greensboro will be left out in the cold again.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 AM

29,954 posts, read 27,450,839 times
The amount of incentives they want for the number of jobs being created is ridiculous. I really hope my home state of SC doesn't agree to play their game. The Triad can have this one if y'all want an auto plant that bad.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,465,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The amount of incentives they want for the number of jobs being created is ridiculous. I really hope my home state of SC doesn't agree to play their game. The Triad can have this one if y'all want an auto plant that bad.
Your home state has already played that game multiple times. NC is the one who has shown restraint, for better or for worse.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 AM

35 posts, read 22,471 times
Yeah, lol at SC showing incentives restraint. I hate the incentive game but it would be great for the Triad to get this.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Your home state has already played that game multiple times. NC is the one who has shown restraint, for better or for worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Yeah, lol at SC showing incentives restraint. I hate the incentive game but it would be great for the Triad to get this.
I'd say the same if the state didn't just throw out a couple hundred million for Volvo...much less incentives for more jobs. The company recently announced it would double the amount of jobs initially announced.

Toyota-Mazda wants a ton more for a lot less initial jobs. That's where my complaint comes in.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,465,362 times
Quote:
I'd say the same if the state didn't just throw out a couple hundred million for Volvo...much less incentives for more jobs. The company recently announced it would double the amount of jobs initially announced.
When Volvo was first announced it was $500 million dollar investment and 2,000 jobs, with the possibility of 4,000 jobs eventually. SC offered $220 million in incentives based on that. Toyota is $1.6 billion investment and 4,000 jobs initially. Incentives offered will be based on that. Plus a calculation of how big it might ultimately grow.

SC also gave Boeing $900 in incentives for a plant with an investment of $750 million.

Quote:
Toyota-Mazda wants a ton more for a lot less initial jobs. That's where my complaint comes in.
They can ask for anything. Doesn't mean they'll get it.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
When Volvo was first announced it was $500 million dollar investment and 2,000 jobs, with the possibility of 4,000 jobs eventually. SC offered $220 million in incentives based on that. Toyota is $1.6 billion investment and 4,000 jobs initially. Incentives offered will be based on that. Plus a calculation of how big it might ultimately grow.

SC also gave Boeing $900 in incentives for a plant with an investment of $750 million.

They can ask for anything. Doesn't mean they'll get it.
Sure they can ask for anything, but geesh...it's really getting out of hand, especially coming on the heels of Volvo in SC. I think NC wants this more but we'll have to see how the incentives play out. And who knows, Georgia might throw more at the plant than both states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or