U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
This means really only the Greensboro-Randolph megasite is left. So now we know where the plant is going if North Carolina beats out Alabama and its been reported by multiple sources that North Carolina is the favorite.
The Kingsboro megasite is still in the running. (That's the one in Edgecombe County, east of Rocky Mount.) And it has a lot going for it too. I am rooting for the Triad site, but this is far from a foregone conclusion, even if the plant comes to NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM

239 posts, read 213,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
The Kingsboro megasite is still in the running. (That's the one in Edgecombe County, east of Rocky Mount.) And it has a lot going for it too. I am rooting for the Triad site, but this is far from a foregone conclusion, even if the plant comes to NC.
That's what I was thinking that even if they pick Nc it's not a sure thing they will pick the triad site. They would have easy access to the triangle and triad for qualified employees at the liberty site but the triad is always close but no cigar.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Does anybody know or have articles on the type of growth and economic impact a auto plant could have on a area? I know Greenville sc grew rapidly since BMW went there.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:56 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
Does anybody know or have articles on the type of growth and economic impact a auto plant could have on a area? I know Greenville sc grew rapidly since BMW went there.
Google is your friend:

https://www.bmwusfactory.com/communi...onomic-impact/
http://www.brianmadams.com/research/...lantimpact.pdf
https://sc.edu/study/colleges_school...to_cluster.pdf
http://www.hamiltontn.gov/pdf/docs/B...2012_final.pdf
http://cber.haslam.utk.edu/pubs/bfox309.pdf
https://www.dallasfed.org/assets/doc.../vista0401.pdf
https://journal.srsa.org/ojs/index.p...oad/31.3.5/296

Old 11-15-2017, 10:10 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Quote:
When an autoplant is near a sizable city, it can lead to a faster growing local economy because it attracts other companies and business. Its why we see the rapid progress in downtown Greenville, a city thats seeing the kind of development you would see in larger cities. Its all about jobs jobs jobs and thats what really fuels growth and downtown development. We would see similar success in Greensboro and the Triad area and the opening of the plant would occur a year after a number of big downtown projects in Greensboro are completed. But lets not get ahead if ourselves. First North Carolina has to beat Alabama. I think it would be safe to break out the champaign glasses if Toyota announces they are coming to North Carolina because it certainly appears the Greensboro-Randolph mega site is the front runner. Again think of the possibilities with Toyoya/Mazda partnering with NC A&T maybe even becoming an anchor tenant at Gateway University Research Park which would lead to great things there. This plant would be unique in the south for a number of reasons. Two automakers would be sharing the plant and they would be manufacturing electric cars. The news would put our area in the national spotlight because its a pretty big story nationally. Almost every state has been trying to land this plant.

I agree, its the Triad's time to shine. I have nothing but love for Charlotte and Raleigh but its time to share some of that prosperity with other regions in the state.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-15-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 10:22 AM

Thank you! According to those articles a auto plant like Toyota that employees 4,000 people directly can create over 5 times that in indirect jobs that's crazy. So if they choose the triad that could bring indirectly/directly almost 21,000 jobs to this area. That would be a game changer. Hopefully that would spur Greensboro and winstons downtown growth also. I have my fingers crossed

Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Its quite possible NC is merely being used by Toyota/Mazda to squeeze the largest possible incentive out of Alabama. I know NC won't offer as large of an incentive package as Alabama will. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Its quite possible NC is merely being used by Toyota/Mazda to squeeze the largest possible incentive out of Alabama. I know NC won't offer as large of an incentive package as Alabama will. We'll see what happens.
I was thinking the same thing they could be using us as leverage but Alabama already has numerous auto plants so I hope Toyota being the top auto maker would want to be in a state for a project like this that has no
Auto plants of any kind. They could eventually open another in siler city just to be close lol seems like Toyota could run North Carolina and keep every other auto maker out.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:44 AM

5,280 posts, read 3,316,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Here's an article from al.com, very short, but the comment section is where it's at, some are hilarious:

Alabama among two finalists for Toyota-Mazda plant, reports say

Old 11-15-2017, 12:08 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing they could be using us as leverage but Alabama already has numerous auto plants so I hope Toyota being the top auto maker would want to be in a state for a project like this that has no
Auto plants of any kind. They could eventually open another in siler city just to be close lol seems like Toyota could run North Carolina and keep every other auto maker out.
The move is political too. They already have Alabama locked down with Washington Senators and the governor there in their favor. They don't have North Carolina locked down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or