Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times

Advertisements

Or maybe its the new Area 51
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
And then there was one. Rocky Mount area site is out which leaves the Greensboro-Randolph megasite the lone site left. Its also been the only site that has seen a lot of activity over the past month with black helicopters hovering over the site and buses going into the site with tents for meetings.

Report: Chatham County, Rocky Mount megasites to miss out on Toyota/Mazda plant | Local Business | greensboro.com
I promise I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but where is that N&R/Sanford Herald article getting that the Edgecombe County site isn't in the running? It says "WRAL reported Tuesday that that megasite is also out of the running," but when you click on the linked story, there's nothing that states or even implies that the Edgecombe site is out of the running. In fact, the embedded video is all about there being two sites remaining in NC. Not good reporting.

I still think the Randolph/Guilford site has a great shot. The planned CSX Intermodal in Rocky Mount was a big part of their pitch for that site, and now it's looking like the intermodal may fall through. CSX transit hub in Rocky Mount in doubt | News & Observer

Plus there's the additional land that's been added to the Randolph/Guilford site and the activity in the area. That's all promising. But let's not jump the gun when it looks like we're not even the only possibility in NC, and that NC still isn't a foregone conclusion.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:41 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Unless they made a mistake in the article headline, it says Rocky Mount will miss out and I think its in Edgecombe County. I think the Greensboro area is one step away. We just have to beat Alabama. It would be interesting to find out if the Alabama sites have been seeing the same kind of activity with helicopter flyovers and buses. It does seem unusual that Toyota/Mazda has already let states/sites know they are no longer in the running. That kind of counteracts getting the incentives that they want because they basically reveal their preferred site or site. Keep the states guessing so they will give bigger incentives. That would have been smarter on their end.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-17-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 PM

70 posts, read 77,008 times
Every article I've read recently mentions the Greensboro/Randolph site and not the Edgecombe site. Hopefully this happens and it's not a tease. Alabama already has 2 plants.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Unless they made a mistake in the article headline, it says Rocky Mount will miss out and I think its in Edgecombe County. I think the Greensboro area is one step away. We just have to beat Alabama. It would be interesting to find out if the Alabama sites have been seeing the same kind of activity with helicopter flyovers and buses. It does seem unusual that Toyota/Mazda has already let states/sites know they are no longer in the running. That kind of counteracts getting the incentives that they want because they basically reveal their preferred site or site. Keep the states guessing so they will give bigger incentives. That would have been smarter on their end.
Neither Toyota nor Mazda has confirmed that any states are in or out. Nonetheless, 2 states is all they need. Its very typical to narrow it down to 2 or 3 states and negotiate final incentives with them. Volvo came down to Georgia and SC, for example.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Neither Toyota nor Mazda has confirmed that any states are in or out. Nonetheless, 2 states is all they need. Its very typical to narrow it down to 2 or 3 states and negotiate final incentives with them. Volvo came down to Georgia and SC, for example.
Somebody is telling these states they're out. Their local papers are reporting it.

'That’s the message from Toyota/Mazda to state officials who had hoped the company would build a $1.6 billion car plant at the Memphis Regional Megasite, located 14 miles from Covington in Haywood County."

Why Toyota/Mazda said no to Megasite | News | covingtonleader.com

Old 11-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1999 View Post
Somebody is telling these states they're out. Their local papers are reporting it.

'That’s the message from Toyota/Mazda to state officials who had hoped the company would build a $1.6 billion car plant at the Memphis Regional Megasite, located 14 miles from Covington in Haywood County."

Regardless, its irrelevant. They can pit 2 states against each other to create a bidding war. It actually works better because each state knows they are that close to winning.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:46 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1999 View Post

Another interesting thing in that article is that SC is in the running with NC, not AL. Given NC's track record of competing with SC, I'm skeptical at NC's chances. Then again, Nikki Haley is no longer SC governor so who knows...

Old 11-17-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Another interesting thing in that article is that SC is in the running with NC, not AL. Given NC's track record of competing with SC, I'm skeptical at NC's chances. Then again, Nikki Haley is no longer SC governor so who knows...
I think thats just sloppy writing. And Alabama is just as formidable of an opponent as SC, if not more so. They have given out some huge incentive packages.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Regardless, its irrelevant. They can pit 2 states against each other to create a bidding war. It actually works better because each state knows they are that close to winning.
Not questioning the bidding war tactic. Companies do that all the time. Heck Amazon is about to write the book on it.

Personally, I don't understand why we wouldn't just give them the billion they're asking for. It's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point