Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,022,591 times

Advertisements

With an incentive package like that, maybe Amazon isnt so crazy for NC after all!!

Jk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,018,002 times
So we were prepared to offer $375K per job? Wow! All I can say is that we were clearly serious. But maybe it's not a bad thing that T/M still chose Alabama. It would take more than half a decade before T/M paid $1.5 billion back in the form of WAGES (much less tax income).

And a good supply chain can seriously be the difference in tens of millions of dollars per year for a company. Not to mention having another Toyota plant nearby. The ready-made work force.

Sounds like Alabama was T/M's choice all along and this whole charade was just that..... a charade to provide leverage to see how much T/M could squeeze out of Alabama in incentives. But in the end, it seems they were going to Alabama no matter what.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:22 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,317,350 times
That feeling when you think your gal is flirting with another guy to get a rise out of you... but it turns out you were the other guy all along.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,147,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
What gets me is that you'd think that if there really was a supply chain issue, T/M would've crossed NC off the list long by now. Hell, look how fast they eliminated Memphis, Indiana, and who knows where else. The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I obviously wasn't involved the meetings, so who am I to dispute the horse's mouth?

Either way, I think you're right. NC apparently has zero chance of getting an auto plant, whether it's due to incentives, supply chain, or both. Time to focus on something else, I suppose.
The problem i see is that every state with multiple auto plants and suppliers had to start some where. Those states didnt always have suppliers and they still got auto plants. I dont think there is no hope in NC getting an autoplant. North Carolina's time will come. In this case I see how it makes sense. Alabama already has facilities that make Toyota engines/parts. However I will say it is a shock because I really believed we had the best shot at it. But we put the best incentive package together and still lost which does lead me to think that where planning to build it in Alabama from the start.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:25 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,339,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yeah, but its still Alabama...kind of like that joke about Winston Churchill:

"When accused by a woman MP of being 'disgustingly drunk' the Conservative Prime Minister responded: 'My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly."
Winston Churchill should have looked in the mirror before calling someone else ugly.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 AM

2,959 posts, read 3,505,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The problem i see is that every state with multiple auto plants and suppliers had to start some where. Those states didnt always have suppliers and they still got auto plants. I dont think there is no hope in NC getting an autoplant. North Carolina's time will come. In this case I see how it makes sense. Alabama already has facilities that make Toyota engines/parts. However I will say it is a shock because I really believed we had the best shot at it. But we put the best incentive package together and still lost which does lead me to think that where planning to build it in Alabama from the start.
A few observations from the other side.
Huntsville won beyond incentives. After Volkswagen chose Chattanooga over Huntsville 5 years ago the city has been working diligently to prepare the site.
Sasaki Associates, the Boston firm that wrote the master plan for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, developed a master plan for nearly 10,000 acres in the newly Huntsville annexed land. Includes greenways, residential, schools. So when this project was announced last August a lot of prep work was already done.
The site is shovel ready with TVA power upgrades. road upgrades done or ready to implement.
A united front of from all involved, state, federal, local, TVA, Athens, Decatur, Madison, Huntsville, Morgan, Limestone and Madison counties.
Huntsville has a long history (decades) for competing for big projects and winning, (Remington, Polaris, GE, Blue Origin, Toyota Engines, Home to NASA, Redstone Arsenal 38,000 employees, Cummings Research Park another 26,000 employees are just a few)
Huntsville International Airport world class cargo operations and US customs, port of entry nearby.
Toyota wanted additional acreage for a supplier park which this site can provide.
Personal relationships..it helps to know people, Alabama has a long excellent relationship with Japan.
North Carolina underestimated the competition and focused on the incentives only it appears.
Lose lips? seemed there was a lot of press about the NC site but very little ever said about the Huntsville site. Secrecy is a Big deal in these things, maybe something came out Toyota didn't want it to. Just an observation.
The site in the long run is a better fit for what Toyota wanted
Huntsville won (this win is better than Volkswagen) because we lost and learned, North Carolina will win
with this site as well. The key is to keep preparing the site

Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 AM

742 posts, read 817,777 times
Quote:
They were also willing to throw money at the problem when NC wasn't. The state was one of the last southeastern states to jump in the incentive game & has mostly not been willing to.go all in on projects like this. Add the lack of investment in our port, rail intermodal infrastructure & failed execution of the global transpark & this is what we get

Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,147,836 times
Nissan is looking to build a U.S. plant so the Triad has another shot.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ni...MW_latest_news

Old 01-21-2018, 10:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,937,960 times
Quote:
Nissan is looking to build a U.S. plant so the Triad has another shot.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ni...MW_latest_news
Triad better get on the ball then. Already proved they can hand out ridiculous incentives.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,937,960 times
Delete:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point