U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:23 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,454,204 times

Advertisements

This sounds promising. I just hope the General Assembly will step up with a competitive incentive package.

"North Carolina has made the short list of three states that Toyota-Mazda is considering for its joint electric-car factory, and the Triad's Greensboro-Randolph Megasite is the likely top pick in the state, a top economic development expert said Tuesday.

Site-selection consultant John Boyd, of Princeton, N.J., said "I expect the megasite to be a prime candidate for the Toyota-Mazda factory."

Neither company makes an all-electric vehicle, and Toyota and Mazda said earlier this year they have created a partnership to build a $1.6 billion factory that would employ up to 4,000 workers to make hundreds of thousands of cars per year by 2020.

They likely will choose a final site in the next three-to-six months.

An incentive package of more than $1 billion may be required to lure North Carolina's first automobile manufacturing prize, and Boyd said that Gov. Roy Cooper is involved in the recruiting process.

The 1,500-acre site in the northeast corner of Randolph County is a prime site, Boyd said, because Norfolk Southern and the North Carolina Railroad Co. have made a strong commitment there. And community and political leaders from Greensboro and Randolph County have spent millions buying land and beginning an infrastructure.

Residents say the megasite has seen intense activity from visitors and workers in recent months, including groups in buses and frequent helicopter flyovers.

"Over the past several weeks, I and other neighbors have on several occasions observed large vans and tent canopies on a plot of land on which we know the megasite folk like to meet," said Alan Ferguson, a lawyer who lives on property adjacent to the megasite in Randolph and has opposed its development. "We have also observed helicopters flying slow circles above our houses, around the proposed site. One helicopter I watched on a Sunday morning was a large, multiseat machine that I have never seen flying over our countryside before. This one made a couple of slow circles and passed right over my house."

David Allen, chairman of the Randolph County Board of Commissioners, said he doesn't know how serious the interest is, but he, too, has seen activity at the site beyond the work that Duke Energy, surveyors and others are doing to prepare it to be occupied within two years.

"I have seen some buses out there — one back in June, one more recently," Allen said. "As I was going to church, we happened to see a vehicle approach and slow down and crawl into the site on Browns Meadow Road."

The North Carolina Railroad Co., Randolph County and the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite Foundation have spent more than $32 million buying land at the site from private owners. If an automotive company selects the site, the land likely would become part of an incentive package along, with the water, sewer, road and power infrastructure that Greensboro, the state and Duke Energy are preparing to build.

Boyd said stepped-up activity at the site is surely an indication of business interest.

"I just tend to think this might be the moment for that trophy employer that this site has been looking for for a long time," Boyd said.

Boyd said, based on his experience with the state and discussions with other consultants and commercial real estate experts, that politics and proximity are driving the Toyota-Mazda decision."

Consultant: Megasite tops North Carolina's presence on short list for Toyota-Mazda factory | Gnr | greensboro.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 03:46 PM

4,596 posts, read 4,414,501 times
Wow. If and I say If NC gets this, it appears the site south of Greensboro is the top pick. We could finally get an automaker and right here in the Triad. The area would get national attention because the Toyota/Mazda deal has been a hot story in the national news media.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-24-2017 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 05:06 PM

4,642 posts, read 3,046,928 times
I'd love to see it happen, but I'm skeptical of the General Assembly after the Volvo fiasco and crippling the film industry in Wilmington.

Adding to the problem is the General Assembly's hatred of Cooper. As bad of a governor as Pat McCrory may have been, I'll give him credit for at least trying to prod the General Assembly into offering a competitive incentive for Volvo, in which they still refused. If they wouldn't do it for McCrory, I can't see them doing it for Cooper.

But hey, if I end up being wrong, I'll be happy.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:42 PM

434 posts, read 250,000 times
I think NC should go after this instead of Amazon. It wouldn't be quite as sexy as HQ2, but it's still pretty noteworthy, and if the Randolph County site was chosen, it would hopefully bring more development to the Triad.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:50 PM

624 posts, read 386,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I think NC should go after this instead of Amazon. It wouldn't be quite as sexy as HQ2, but it's still pretty noteworthy, and if the Randolph County site was chosen, it would hopefully bring more development to the Triad.
It's actually really far NE Randolph County and SE Guilford County, it's prActically on the county line with Guilford County.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:58 AM

4,596 posts, read 4,414,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
It's actually really far NE Randolph County and SE Guilford County, it's prActically on the county line with Guilford County.
In fact only 4 or 5 miles south of Greensboro which will also be providing water to the site. Its on the county line on the Randolph side but this is more of a Greensboro area site. Its like the industrial parks in Whitsett. They are technically not in Greensboro city limits but the city provides water and many businesses use a Greensboro address. The Megasite is within Greensboro annexation territory and cities can annex into other counties. High Point has annexed into Davidson County, Kernersville and Burlington have both annexed into Guilford County.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-25-2017 at 05:00 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 06:36 AM

35 posts, read 22,429 times
Regardless of what county it sits in it would be a welcome provider of jobs and as mentioned earlier could spur additional development. Although I wish there was a federal law that would prohibit the whole incentive package game. I hate how these areas are pitted against each other to provide millions of dollars to private entities. Companies should just pick which area is best for their needs and just leave it at that. That said, as long as that's the way the game is set up we have no choice but to play it.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:45 AM

239 posts, read 213,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
I hope that we get Toyota it would be great for the triad and Greensboro hopefully would be like our own rtp once other businesses started to build around it.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 AM

29,945 posts, read 27,424,696 times
So the article says SC and Georgia are likely the other two states on the short list.

But this $1B incentives package seems quite excessive. SC only doled out a bit over $200M in incentives for the Volvo plant, which has already announced it is doubling the amount of jobs at its Charleston-area plant.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:24 PM

2,921 posts, read 2,023,467 times
Regarding the megasite discussed by the OP, additional information is here:

http://greensboro-randolphmegasite.com

Last edited by Jowel; 10-25-2017 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or