U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:56 PM

421 posts, read 293,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Wonder what the motive would be for moving to Charlotte if that happens?
Maybe they feel that Charlotte allows them the ability to attract more/better talent rather than Winston-Salem. Plus, I was reading earlier that quite a few of the movers and shakers in the company are from Charlotte or even live there now. With the CEO purchasing a home down there, you can add another to the list.

I'd expect the bulk of the high-paying jobs to move to Charlotte over the next 2-4 years. And any additions as a result of acquiring Dunkin will go to Charlotte as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 05:00 AM

666 posts, read 579,066 times
Quote:
Wonder what the motive would be for moving to Charlotte if that happens?
Access to a major hub airport plain & simple

Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,013,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Access to a major hub airport plain & simple
Yeah, Krispy Kreme CEO Matt Tattersfield remains on the board of Caribou Coffee (Minneapolis) and Einstein Bagels (Denver) as well.

CLT offers 8 nonstop flights per day to Denver and 8 nonstop flights per day to Minneapolis. GSO has seasonal Frontier service 3 days per week to Denver and 0 flights to MSP.

CLT also has a daily nonstop flight to Frankfurt for JAB's office in Mannheim, Germany and a one stop connection through London or Frankfurt to Luxemburg compared to 2 connections from GSO.

Most likely HQ remains in Winston-Salem, but a satellite office opens in northern Mecklenburg County for the senior management team to be near the airport.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:57 AM

35 posts, read 22,363 times
I could see that although living at LKN doesn't give you that big a jump on the airport. I lived at LKN and had a lake house for years while living in Winston. It takes about 40 minutes to get to the Mooresville area. If they just want to live at the lake then fine, but that area doesn't give you anything special as compared to Winston and it's a massive pain to go into Charlotte from that area. If they were going to move to Charlotte proper or Ballantyne I could see the advantages more.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:10 AM

666 posts, read 579,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
I could see that although living at LKN doesn't give you that big a jump on the airport. I lived at LKN and had a lake house for years while living in Winston. It takes about 40 minutes to get to the Mooresville area. If they just want to live at the lake then fine, but that area doesn't give you anything special as compared to Winston and it's a massive pain to go into Charlotte from that area. If they were going to move to Charlotte proper or Ballantyne I could see the advantages more.
It depends on the purpose for having a corporate campus in Charlotte. This could be JAB Holdings US HQ to oversee their business interest here. I don't think this is necessarily a sign that KK is moving.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,401,372 times
Even if they move, they will still likely have some major operations in Winston-Salem. I looked into the history of Krispy Kreme and found it was originally set up in Kentucky, then moved to Nashville before finally settling in Winston-Salem. But the company has been a part of the Twin City for over 80 years. Before they went public in the late 90s it was more of a regional company. I grew up eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts long before the long lines for store openings across the country. America didn't know what it was missing. They best doughnuts you'll ever eat in my opinion and they actually come from a French recipe. I'll take Krispy Kreme's yeast doughnut over Dunkin Donuts cake doughnuts any day.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:36 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,526,501 times
Quote:
I looked into the history of Krispy Kreme and found it was originally set up in Kentucky, then moved to Nashville before finally settling in Winston-Salem.
That's true, but for the record, that all happened in the first few years of the company's existence. Vernon Rudolph and his Uncle Ishmael founded started Krispy Kreme in Nashville in 1933, but Vernon moved to WS to open the "original" location on South Main by 1937.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:37 PM

29,933 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
It's not about the CEO personally living near the airport, but the base of operations having closer proximity to an airport with more flight options. CEOs will generally live in the most desirable neighborhoods in a city/metro and oftentimes they aren't that close to the airport.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 22,363 times
Well if that's the case then not sure why all the hubbub about the CEO buying a house at LKN. Honestly in my opinion it's an easier commute to Winston from LKN than it is to anywhere in town Charlotte, especially uptown. I did that commute for years and under the best circumstances it took 45 minutes, but frequently well over an hour.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,013,641 times
Quote:
Even if they move, they will still likely have some major operations in Winston-Salem. I looked into the history of Krispy Kreme and found it was originally set up in Kentucky, then moved to Nashville before finally settling in Winston-Salem. But the company has been a part of the Twin City for over 80 years. Before they went public in the late 90s it was more of a regional company. I grew up eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts long before the long lines for store openings across the country. America didn't know what it was missing. They best doughnuts you'll ever eat in my opinion and they actually come from a French recipe. I'll take Krispy Kreme's yeast doughnut over Dunkin Donuts cake doughnuts any day.
When a homegrown company gets big, goes public and gets more widely "recognized", its whole dynamic changes because its allegiance changes from doing desirable things (great food, service) to shareholders. The company may still be doing the right things, but that's often where there's a shift in loyalty away from its local roots. That point for Krispy Kreme was right around the late 1990's when they went public and were very aggressively building new stores.

As far as the taste, I agree they're good, but there's a lot of air content. I don't know if the correct technical term for having delayed satiety, but that's when you eat something and it doesn't make you fill full for a long time, but then all of a sudden you're stuffed. Krispy Kreme donuts are the worst donuts for this in my opinion and it's easy to overeat them and then your stomach (and waistline) regrets doing that about an hour later. Personally, my favorites are from certain mom and pop donut shops near me, but Krispy Kremes are still good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point