U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 PM

35 posts, read 22,382 times

Advertisements

No doubt when eating Krispy Kreme it is important to exercise portion control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Wonder what the motive would be for moving to Charlotte if that happens?

I would guess workforce mostly. Airport would be another.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:24 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Well if that's the case then not sure why all the hubbub about the CEO buying a house at LKN. Honestly in my opinion it's an easier commute to Winston from LKN than it is to anywhere in town Charlotte, especially uptown. I did that commute for years and under the best circumstances it took 45 minutes, but frequently well over an hour.

Cornelius to uptown can be done during morning commute in 45 minutes

(I lived in Cornelius and worked uptown)

I would never commute to Winston from Cornelius daily.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,402,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
When a homegrown company gets big, goes public and gets more widely "recognized", its whole dynamic changes because its allegiance changes from doing desirable things (great food, service) to shareholders. The company may still be doing the right things, but that's often where there's a shift in loyalty away from its local roots. That point for Krispy Kreme was right around the late 1990's when they went public and were very aggressively building new stores.

As far as the taste, I agree they're good, but there's a lot of air content. I don't know if the correct technical term for having delayed satiety, but that's when you eat something and it doesn't make you fill full for a long time, but then all of a sudden you're stuffed. Krispy Kreme donuts are the worst donuts for this in my opinion and it's easy to overeat them and then your stomach (and waistline) regrets doing that about an hour later. Personally, my favorites are from certain mom and pop donut shops near me, but Krispy Kremes are still good.
Haha I guess it depends on what you grew up eating as well. People from Boston would swear up and down Dunkin Donuts are better. I will say I do love the blueberry munchkins.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,624,515 times
Maybe we'll finally get a Krispy Kreme location in the LKN area!

Lowe's was also a homegrown business that had HQ in tiny Wilkesboro for years and outgrew it and moved the primary HQ to Mooresville, although leaving a large campus/presence in Wilkes. This allowed Lowe's to recruit nationally and compete with larger corporations for that talent, something that was pretty difficult in Wilkesboro.

Obviously W/S is much larger and more desirable than Wilkes but having access to the fastest growing area in the state, major international airport and ability to recruit certainly could be appealing for KK.

Whether people like the idea of toll lanes or not (I hate it), they will open up capacity and make commuting from LKN to Charlotte/airport much easier when that's complete next year.

Selfishly, I'd love to see them open up a base of operations in Mooresville or the LKN area.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 PM

2,910 posts, read 2,014,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Haha I guess it depends on what you grew up eating as well. People from Boston would swear up and down Dunkin Donuts are better. I will say I do love the blueberry munchkins.
I do like Krispy Kreme. They are just way too easy to overeat because they taste deceptively light until you realize you've eaten 5.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:26 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Well if that's the case then not sure why all the hubbub about the CEO buying a house at LKN.
Because he's buying a residence in the Charlotte area around the time rumors are swirling about the company moving to Charlotte. It could be a little more than coincidence.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:41 PM

35 posts, read 22,382 times
I feel like we're talking in circles at this point. I acknowledged initially that him buying at LKN could be an indication of KK moving, but that in my opinion it is easier to commute to Winston from there than into Charlotte itself and it also doesn't shave that much time off a trip to CLT airport, at which point I was told it wasn't necessarily about where the CEO lives, to which I responded then why the hubbub about him buying a house at LKN? Maybe saving 45 minutes getting to the airport is important enough to move the headquarters though. Or maybe they are moving the headquarters into actual Charlotte (as opposed to LKN), but that really doesn't help the CEO's commute in my opinion. My guess as has been proffered here already is that KK may end up putting some executive jobs in Charlotte along with the other brands owned by the company but leave the headquarters in Winston. Regardless we're talking about 150 jobs, so the whole thing is more about optics than actual impact.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:40 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,402,977 times
The real question. Will this new home be his primary residence? A lot of executives and CEOs of big companies have more than one home.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:09 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,624,515 times
The Lowe's CEO lives in Winston Salem so I don't think it really matters or a sign of anything pending necessarily. We've got plenty of execs that live in other areas, other states even, but have a home locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point